• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

26 yo woman jumped to a gruesome death in Yishun

taxidriver

Alfrescian
Loyal
I want to get one of these blue police tents they use to cover up corpses.

I can pitch one in East Coast Park, smear some water-soluble red paint on its exterior, then lay inside with my feet sticking out of the opening.

And fuck with the minds of passer bys.

your head has nothing but full of shit ideas. this is for CSI.

larue

Alfrescian
Loyal
One good thing about Islam is that it discourages suicide and thefefore you do not see this in their community.

I assume you meant Malays. There are a million other reasons why they are not prone to suicides. They just happen to be Muslim. Attributing their lack of suicidal tendencies to their religion? Giving religion too much credit.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
as you know, normal practice they use wire
But for my hut that I intend to build I will use sealant to hold each tile together apart from screw and wire

What's your take? You think it will restrict tiles movement?

looneytan, tiles are not suppose to move on the roof but then the structure will move a little due to heat. Sealants are for sealing like waterproofing. If you need to hold tiles down, screws will be sufficient especially if you're in Singapore where we do not experience strong winds. However if you insist of sticking it too then you require adhesives not sealants. Be careful with adhesives as most adhesives contain solvents and isocyanates this are no good for your health. Choose an adhesive free from these.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's funny. 100% of high rise jumping cases whether men or women, whether I attended as police or passed by as civilian, are all Chinese. No Malays, no Indians.

Was just trying to recall my own experience. Yes, have to agree with you. Never attended non-Chinese case for jumping without parachute. Attended several cases involving decomposed bodies - all races.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
"In the cosmopolitan city of Singapore the annual suicide rates in the general population from 1985 to 1991 remained fairly constant, with a mean of 15.3 per 100, 000. It was highest among Indians (19.5 per 100, 000), followed by Chinese (16.2 per 100, 000) and Malays (2.3 per 100,000). The suicide rates were higher in elderly people (aged 65 years and over) than in younger age groups (10 to 64 years) and in males than in females. For the elderly, the mean annual suicide rate for this period was 52.0 per 100, 000. However, it was highest among Chinese, with 59.3 per 100,000, followed by Indians at 33.9 per 100, 000, and, again, lowest among Malays, with 3.0 per 100,000..." Soo Meng Ko and Ee Heok Kua (1995). Ethnicity and Elderly Suicide in Singapore. International Psychogeriatrics, 7 , pp 309-317

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
I assume you meant Malays. There are a million other reasons why they are not prone to suicides. They just happen to be Muslim. Attributing their lack of suicidal tendencies to their religion? Giving religion too much credit.

"The low suicide rate among Malays in Singapore continued to be documented in other studies (Chia, 198 1 ; Kua & Tsoi,1985; Tsoi, 1974). In the present study, elderly Malays also had the lowest suicide rate for both men and women. Teoh (1974) reported low suicide rates for native Malays in neighboring Malaysia as well, where they are a majority ethnic group (58%) relative to Chinese (35%) and Indian (5%) ethnic groups.

Most Malays are devout Muslims, and the daily life of the average Malay family is influenced by the Koran. Many Malays pray five times a day and attend the mosque every Friday. In general they are more religious than either the Chinese or the Indians. They are reminded of their rituals daily by official prayer
calls broadcast over the radio or from the mosque. The teachings of Islam also forbid a follower from taking his or her own life.

In the Hindu religion followed by Indians, there is a belief in the life cycle of reincarnation and rebirth. Therefore, some Indians with illness or in abject poverty may hope that after death they could be transformed into a better being; there is no religious sanction on suicidal behavior.

Most elderly Chinese ascribe to the teachings of Buddhism, Taoism, or Confucianism. Like the Indians, they are less devout, and visit temples only during festivals every 3 or 4 months, in contrast to the religious tenacity of the Malays. The beliefs of these three ethnic groups may thus influence their attitudes to life and their suicidal tendencies."
Soo Meng Ko and Ee Heok Kua (1995). Ethnicity and Elderly Suicide in Singapore. International Psychogeriatrics, 7 , pp 309-317

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
"The need for achievement and materialism may also be predisposing factors
for the Chinese and Indians. Their main reason for leaving China and India was
because of poverty in their homelands. Therefore, there is a compelling urge to
work hard and to compete for material wealth. On the other hand, the Malays
tend to adopt a less competitive attitude in life and are not accustomed to
competing aggressively for economic power. The elderly Chinese and Indian
male immigrants left their countries without their wives to seek fortune and
employment in Singapore. Those who were successful could retire in comfort,
but for the less fortunate, failure in business or career would mean shame and
“loss of face” within their Community, and they would be very reluctant to return
to their homelands (Kua & Tsoi, 1985)....

A recent community study by Kua (1993) compared the family care of elderly
Chinese and Malays. The study found that more Malays (99%) than Chinese
(81 %) were living with their families. In fact, no elderly Malay was living alone,
in contrast to 6% of elderly Chinese. Loneliness was reported by 25% of Malays,
but by 50% of Chinese. Moreover, 14% of Chinese were single, 39% were
married, and 47% were widowed. For the Malays, only 1 % were single, 66%
were married, 32% were widowed, and 1 % were divorced. Loneliness and social
isolation may thus be important factors contributing to the differences in elderly
suicide rates between these two ethnic groups....."

Soo Meng Ko and Ee Heok Kua (1995). Ethnicity and Elderly Suicide in Singapore.
International Psychogeriatrics, 7 , pp 309-317

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was just trying to recall my own experience. Yes, have to agree with you. Never attended non-Chinese case for jumping without parachute. Attended several cases involving decomposed bodies - all races.

"Jumping from high-rise buildings (62%) and hanging (30%)
were the methods most employed. Less common methods were self-poisoning
with pesticides and herbicides (4%), drowning (2%), drug overdose (l%), and
others such as self-mutilation and immolation (1%). Suicide involving firearms
was rare. There was no apparent difference between Chinese and Indians in the
methods of suicide...."

Soo Meng Ko and Ee Heok Kua (1995). Ethnicity and Elderly Suicide in Singapore.
International Psychogeriatrics, 7 , pp 309-317

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
you might offend the family and relatives or worse they afraid the ghost might come and haunt them. But it is good practise.

Who gives a flying fuck about offending the family and relatives. As for ghosts they know straight away if you're feigning "respect".

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who gives a flying fuck about offending the family and relatives. As for ghosts they know straight away if you're feigning "respect".

Uncle Sam,

How you know the ghosts know you're feigning respect? You 心中有鬼?

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I once saw a dead malay that committed sucide at the foot of some block of flats. Since i saw that i thus conclude that malays commit suicide too.

Whoever takes his or her own life, irregardless of the religion he / she professes is indeed a sad episode.

The deceased leave behind grieving parents, siblings and own kids, if any.

It haunts them all their life.

Evidence has shown that the children of those who committed acts of suicides tend to follow suit.

Why don't we have "Counselling Centres" in all our housing estates to attend to such cases and save precious lives.

Surely the Police here can work with ministries and organisations like SOS to have it available here.