• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

visit mei ling hawker centre to see how good is upgrading

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah, i invite u guys to visit mei ling hawker centre and see for yourself.

someone should rekindle my li'l brother leetahsar's PAU or People Against Upgrading movement before more honest-to-goodness hawkers are forced out of their trade.

before upgrading was already doldrum. after upgrading, almost quite dead.

most days except sat, sun and public holidays, the place is quite a dead town :( during the nights, it quite FULLY dead!

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
for those who might be inspired to initiate PAU, please do it for the people and NOT for political agenda. u help the people, the people help u. u don't help the people, then u only end up not helping yourself.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
My view, gahmen still caters to foreigners.

Look at Kopitiam at Liang Court, compare with Kopitiam in heartland malls. Liang' Court's so spacious. heartland's so cramped.

Cheers!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rents always increase after upgrading.

Even for HDB lift upgrading, after it's completed the rents of all the neighbourhood shops go up.

Provision shops, family businesses, barbers, laundry shops, bakeries, pet shops etc. either close down, move to somewhere with cheaper rent, or rent out half of the shop space.

This is bullshit. Singapore is nothing more than a corporate facist state, where only big businesses, government-linked businesses and MNCs thrive.

callmebad

Alfrescian
Loyal
asshole government, likes to use upgrading as an excuse to raise rents and force out those old timers and in the process make our costs of living higher, burdening all of us
those contractors who get all or most of these upgrading jobs must be those PAP running dogs

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah, i invite u guys to visit mei ling hawker centre and see for yourself..... before upgrading was already doldrum. after upgrading, almost quite dead....most days except sat, sun and public holidays, the place is quite a dead town :( during the nights, it quite FULLY dead!

Are you seeing a different Mei Ling Food Centre? Before upgrading the place almost looked deserted with many food stall empty. Now there is a fresh look to the place - more spacious, more stalls and lights. My favourite chicken feet noodles stall always got long queue - but tolerable because the auntie and Ah Kong dishing out the noodles with chicken feet are nice and polite. It's the best chicken feet noodle in the west - though some may not like the strong herbal taste. Always sold out by noon on Sundays. Customers come all the way from the Queens Condo a stone throw away.

Other days of course lah, most people go to work, the Food Centre not as busy - only Ah Peks loitering there nursing their kopi O and chitchatting away their life.

The wet market perhaps a bit scanty serving only neighbourhoods. Most with own transport would go to supermarkets instead.

Upgrading Mei Ling Food Centre is the next best things for the ageing Estate. The PAP Town Council is most mindful and caring of the residents' need and did not tear down the centre and replaced it with another condo block. Who is in charge of the Queenstown? None other than the distinguished former PM and Senior Minister of course!

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look at what they did to Tiong Bahru market. Before rebuilding , the place was bustling with activities even at night when people came here for suppers. Now it totally quiet at by 8. The place never feel the same again once the old market was gone.

CheesePie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Look at what they did to Tiong Bahru market. Before rebuilding , the place was bustling with activities even at night when people came here for suppers. Now it totally quiet at by 8. The place never feel the same again once the old market was gone.

Singapore Inc. as you all know. :biggrin:

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aiyah, you fail to provide the whole picture. Not fair. Wrong perception.

Before the third-world looking old market, there was no Tiong Bahru Plaza. The constituency has now got the gleaming Tiong Bahru Plaza with an MRT Station within, and it's bustling late into the night. Of course people young and old especially from residents in the expensive condos from accross the road and nearby boutique hotel prefer to go there instead of the dilapidated old market - san air-con and sufficient parking lots. They have no emotional or sentiment attachment to the place, unfortunately.

Tiong Bahru district is now vibrant, ideally located within less than 2 km from CBD, Orchard Road and Great World City. More newer 30+ tall flats and condos are being built there as more people want to live there. It has all sorts of food - from coffee shop fares to fast-food and classy joints. Had the Town Council not upgraded the old market, it would have died a natural death long, long ago. It was literally given a lifeline. So what they did to the old market was appropriate before it became a museum piece.

And of course you know Tiong Bahru division is in a well-known GRC which has never faced a general election contest since it was formed.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah, you fail to provide the whole picture. Not fair. Wrong perception.

Before the third-world looking old market, there was no Tiong Bahru Plaza. The constituency has now got the gleaming Tiong Bahru Plaza with an MRT Station within, and it's bustling late into the night. Of course people young and old especially from residents in the expensive condos from accross the road and nearby boutique hotel prefer to go there instead of the dilapidated old market - san air-con and sufficient parking lots. They have no emotional or sentiment attachment to the place, unfortunately.

Tiong Bahru district is now vibrant, ideally located within less than 2 km from CBD, Orchard Road and Great World City. More newer 30+ tall flats and condos are being built there as more people want to live there. It has all sorts of food - from coffee shop fares to fast-food and classy joints. Had the Town Council not upgraded the old market, it would have died a natural death long, long ago. It was literally given a lifeline. So what they did to the old market was appropriate before it became a museum piece.

And of course you know Tiong Bahru division is in a well-known GRC which has never faced a general election contest since it was formed.

Well written piece befitting a top level PAP cock sucking cunt! Jia Yu Stephanie myo539 Chia!

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you seeing a different Mei Ling Food Centre? Before upgrading the place almost looked deserted with many food stall empty. Now there is a fresh look to the place - more spacious, more stalls and lights. My favourite chicken feet noodles stall always got long queue - but tolerable because the auntie and Ah Kong dishing out the noodles with chicken feet are nice and polite. It's the best chicken feet noodle in the west - though some may not like the strong herbal taste. Always sold out by noon on Sundays. Customers come all the way from the Queens Condo a stone throw away.

Other days of course lah, most people go to work, the Food Centre not as busy - only Ah Peks loitering there nursing their kopi O and chitchatting away their life.

The wet market perhaps a bit scanty serving only neighbourhoods. Most with own transport would go to supermarkets instead.

Upgrading Mei Ling Food Centre is the next best things for the ageing Estate. The PAP Town Council is most mindful and caring of the residents' need and did not tear down the centre and replaced it with another condo block. Who is in charge of the Queenstown? None other than the distinguished former PM and Senior Minister of course!

that ipoh noodle is pioneer hawker there. the fat girl now is ambitious and opens up another stall selling curry mee. take a look. not many customers.

there are many vacant stalls. quite many were taken up by relocating the hawkers from the destroyed margaret drive. the famous fish-noodle after shifting to mei chin sells only for half day. when they were in margaret drive, their biz was very brisk and sell until sold out everything around 3pm.

just the kopi/tea was like 50c/60c b4. now it's 80c/90c

the only stall that's keeping the price unchanged was the traditional fried carrot cake or chai tow kuey next to a fruit stalls. it still sells $1.50 a plate but without egg, just plain black or white. with egg, it would be an extra 50c.

come nite time, it's worst with barely a handful stalls opened for biz.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
when the gov propose building more hawker centres, i can't help being suspicious that it is meant for PRCs to hawk there so as to serve the ever growing PRC FTs. i do not think it's more for sgporeans who many find they can't even afford a once economical local hawker food.

many hawker stalls are actually now plagued by prcs selling prc foods. as a consolation, u don't ve to travel to china to have a taste of prc foods. u can get it here easily. whether is it as authentic as the original, it would subjective whether one has tasted it b4.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when the gov propose building more hawker centres, i can't help being suspicious that it is meant for PRCs to hawk there so as to serve the ever growing PRC FTs. i do not think it's more for sgporeans who many find they can't even afford a once economical local hawker food.

many hawker stalls are actually now plagued by prcs selling prc foods. as a consolation, u don't ve to travel to china to have a taste of prc foods. u can get it here easily. whether is it as authentic as the original, it would subjective whether one has tasted it b4.

How not to love PRCs working in HCs? In my neighborhood PRC yongtaohoo stall, 6 pieces with beehoon S$2.60, Singaporean stall S$3.50, same portion same taste. PRC dimsum stall, maikai with siumai S$2.00, Singaporean stall S$2.40.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
that ipoh noodle is pioneer hawker there. the fat girl now is ambitious and opens up another stall selling curry mee. take a look. not many customers..... the only stall that's keeping the price unchanged was the traditional fried carrot cake or chai tow kuey next to a fruit stalls. it still sells $1.50 a plate but without egg, just plain black or white. with egg, it would be an extra 50c.

come nite time, it's worst with barely a handful stalls opened for biz.

What do you expect at night? The Ah Peks and Ah Sohs need to sleep early you know. The cool evening breeze blowing from the swimming pool and stadium makes that part of Mei Ling a nice place to live in. When the old Margaret Drive is redeveloped, the younger crowd will sure to flock there - leaving that part of Mei Ling Street a nice place for retirement homes.

As for the courteous "fat girl", she is the daughter of the Ah Kong who works quietly behind. She is very patient and polite in spite of the long queue and speaks quite good English. Must try her curry mee next time. As for the carrot cake - it's quite ordinary. Cheap but not tasty - compared with the chicken feet noodle where you feel like emptying every little kueh tiao or strand of noodle and gravy left on the plate.

Last edited:

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
How not to love PRCs working in HCs? In my neighborhood PRC yongtaohoo stall, 6 pieces with beehoon S$2.60, Singaporean stall S$3.50, same portion same taste. PRC dimsum stall, maikai with siumai S$2.00, Singaporean stall S$2.40.

Agree PRC stalls appear to sell cheaper than Sporean stalls - with no loss in quality or taste.

I remember first time eating "red wine chicken mee sua" (Hong Zao Mian Xian?) from a PRC-managed stall. Best I 've ever eaten; unfortunately she had to vacate the stall because S'porean stall holder increase the rental.

HellBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hate hawker centre upgrading! everytime they "upgrade" a hawker centre, some of my favorite stall will be gone forever...sad.

I usually avoid prc stall (unless they're selling their hometown food like 小笼包), too many bad experience. prc made kopi-o FAILED, prc made yongtaofoo FAILED, prc made westen food EPIC FAILED, prc made chicken rice FAILED.
And if both sg & prc sell the same qulaity of food, i'll still buy from sg stall even if it cost more.