• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Interior Design

Can, the contractor and developer have generator.

Tks sis ginfreely for reply
Ok generator checked. Water supply not needed ah like for mixing cement etc? I not doing major reno but i want to cover up with brick wall and solid backdoor instead of partial wall with backgate for my wet kitchen.
I dun want they take power n water fr my future neighbor and cause unhappines. Getting the power n water connnectn take some time though.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal

I intend to replace my perimeter fence with wooden fences (mine no concrete or semi concrete perimeter wall but just metal fence=very ugly and cold+no privacy in my own garden/yard). I thinkg of soothening and making it nature friendly with wooden fence if budget friendly.

Any recommendation cos the previous home fair at persada cant find any doing this wooden fence.

Kuroko

Alfrescian
Loyal

Some reviews that the contractor quoted at the high side. Quality still acceptable.

Is she a lady driving a toyota harrier?

oic... :rolleyes: But the person come to approach us is guy.. very talk-active person.. Somemore, he also very close with other contractor...

i saw a few house is done by them especially the house at Ave 8. But they also get a lot jobs at Ave 7 as well.... he has bring us to c few sample house resign that done/still ongoing by them. in general, everything its look fine.. :biggrin: But still thinking whether can get more options..

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

I intend to replace my perimeter fence with wooden fences (mine no concrete or semi concrete perimeter wall but just metal fence=very ugly and cold+no privacy in my own garden/yard). I thinkg of soothening and making it nature friendly with wooden fence if budget friendly.

Any recommendation cos the previous home fair at persada cant find any doing this wooden fence.

At the last fair, I saw some of Hong Lee's grilles/fences and they seem quite easy on the eye. Their cost may or may not be as easy on the eye though......haha

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tks sis ginfreely for reply
Ok generator checked. Water supply not needed ah like for mixing cement etc? I not doing major reno but i want to cover up with brick wall and solid backdoor instead of partial wall with backgate for my wet kitchen.
I dun want they take power n water fr my future neighbor and cause unhappines. Getting the power n water connnectn take some time though.

Sounds messy, better wait for water supply then.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sounds messy, better wait for water supply then.

Ya lor thats what i thot so too. In the meantime still look see look see.

Minchye thanks for the blog link..useful info n happy outcome for te blogger with his reno..just wonderg their reno indicated as 57k is RM or SG?

nesta0013

Alfrescian
Loyal

Anyone know where to buy the air-con remote control holder that can be drilled onto the wall?

Last edited:

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
DIY path & budget guide

Finally I plugged in the second-last contractor into line yesterday (last is curtain – anyone has recommendation pls share). I am not recommending quality of work yet because work starts next week only.

To recap, I reported in Main Page, from the October Persada where I secured some good deals.

What I have learned since is that there are two ways to go about it.

1) Engage an Interior Designer. Expect that they might markup up to 50% for each item of work (in a case, I found out markup of 1200%) even before counting their project management fees. This should be for people who do not mind paying more, for convenience and outsource everything. No wrong or right, just a matter of preference and affordability.

2) Do It Yourself. I chose this and this post is for those considering taking this path. Have to deal with more contractors and vendors but you feel better to ensure you have got the best prices within your time limit.

The thing I did not expect was the length of time to do defects rectification by the developer from date of vacant possession. This has been the most frustrating so far but it has now reached a level ready to start my renovations. Allow at least 2 months for this, unless you are not fussy.

Is important to start a philosophy of what you want to achieve given the budget you have as it will sharpen your prioritisation. I started with a Budget of RM80k, and it easily ballooned to RM150k when I added on many ‘would-like-to-have s’. It was a challenge to bring it down to RM95k where it stands now, but have achieved it thus far by sacrificing some items by deciding to delay things like wooden dining set by settling for plastic foldable tables & chairs as my priority is a place ready to stay and a kitchen to cook. It is important to set minimal standards of acceptance in case I have to rent out. Hope to still find ways to cut to RM80k but I am lucky my kitchen contractor can give good credit terms so can hope to count on some 13 month salary...

Once the budget has been done, you need to first engage your kitchen contractor because the kitchen is probably the most complicated as it involves electrician (hood, hob, electrical points relative to kitchen design and placing), even developer (eg tiles model) and in some cases the plumber (for those wanting extensive sink renovations or those wanting to accentuate the functionality of a kitchen island).

This means the first to start work is the electrician. In my case my developer did not provide enough hot water and electrical points. Lesson is not to hold high expectations from the developer, no matter your development.

You have to think about the sequence. After electrician, I plan grille contractor before kitchen contractor. Thinking is to secure the stuff like appliances and furnishings that will come in. Also curtain contractor should be not far in sequence, to keep house from prying eyes.

Electrical appliances & furnishings should come in last in terms of installation.

There are two things that I had to postpone till I can get save enough bullets – wooden dining table as said above, and maybe 10 years later; wooden flooring as is quite expensive and autogate as is not high priority.

Budget as follows is just for a guide only because it will always depend on size of your house, philosophy & priority you want and what quality you want:

Electrician-RM3k
Grille-RM6k
Kitchen (Dry and Wet) & hoods, hobs, oven – RM30k – I sacrificed others to splurge on this :smile:
TV, DVD, Antenna – RM3k
Instant hot water units & washing machine & fridge – RM5k
Shower glass slides – RM5k
Lights – RM10k
Fans & Ac – RM12k
Wardrobes, beds, mattresses – RM16k
Sofa set – RM5k
Curtains – unknown yet…(appreciate recommendations)

I hope this has helped you. Is my way of saying thank you for those who have shared in this forum and to pay it forward to those who will benefit from this.

Hoping all to be completed before end of the year but mentally getting ready for delays. I am sure many people can get better prices than here for some items, but do bear in mind hard to compare apple to apple as there are just too many variables depending on quality, material, specs, etc. All the best !

Last edited:

EastLake

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: DIY path & budget guide

Finally I plugged in the second-last contractor into line yesterday........

........... I am sure many people can get better prices than here for some items, but do bear in mind hard to compare apple to apple as there are just too many variables depending on quality, material, specs, etc. All the best !

Bro Contra, Appreciate your kind sharing with all on your renovation . Thank u. All the best to u.

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal

I hope this has helped you. Is my way of saying thank you for those who have shared in this forum and to pay it forward to those who will benefit from this.

Hoping all to be completed before end of the year but mentally getting ready for delays. I am sure many people can get better prices than here for some items, but do bear in mind hard to compare apple to apple as there are just too many variables depending on quality, material, specs, etc. All the best !

Thank you Contra, for taking the time to share your experience. It definitely helps.

MichelCleark

Last year I done with my complete kitchen renovation. I renovate kitchen flooring and install a new kitchen cabinets. The complete transaction cost me about a $30K. I also done with a kitchen wall painting from another contractor which cost me about $10K. I personally think while selecting a home renovation contractor you need to check their past work history, compare their prices with other contractor.

Lyc396

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just to caution..courts at bt indah delivery service is not good. I have ordered a sofa set a month ago from them and yet to receive my goods. 1st round of delivery: I was informed on the same day of delivery that my sofa from KL has yet to arrive so postponed of delivery. Subsequently, I have to chase them on delivery date. I supposed to receive my sofa yesterday and again, they did not send. Reason given was I did not answer the call once made by their delivery man 1 day before the delivery date. In fact, I have returned call on the same day but there was no response. The Chinese salesman who sold the sofa to me is defensive. He commented that he should not sell me the sofa if he knows that I can only arrange for delivery on weekend, which i have shared with him earlier that i will only be around on weekend. Frankly speaking, I am disappointed with their service and hope that he can refund me the money if he is not able to deliver it by next weekend. Do not wish to waste each other time anymore..

tutucake

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just to caution..courts at bt indah delivery service is not good. I have ordered a sofa set a month ago from them and yet to receive my goods. 1st round of delivery: I was informed on the same day of delivery that my sofa from KL has yet to arrive so postponed of delivery. Subsequently, I have to chase them on delivery date. I supposed to receive my sofa yesterday and again, they did not send. Reason given was I did not answer the call once made by their delivery man 1 day before the delivery date. In fact, I have returned call on the same day but there was no response. The Chinese salesman who sold the sofa to me is defensive. He commented that he should not sell me the sofa if he knows that I can only arrange for delivery on weekend, which i have shared with him earlier that i will only be around on weekend. Frankly speaking, I am disappointed with their service and hope that he can refund me the money if he is not able to deliver it by next weekend. Do not wish to waste each other time anymore..

Oh no! I ordered some cabinets from them last week... Hope I don't get the same shit like u did... Hmmmm.... Else I'll just have to ask my tenant to receive it on my behalf...