• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FTs thank Singapore, great land of the bountiful, on Straits Times today

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you Singapore

20120309.130724_reuters_sg2.jpg

tabla!
Friday, Mar 09, 2012

Most of us take Singapore for granted. Whether we were born here or set up home here recently, all of us Singapore residents enjoy the many things the country has to offer. That's why we choose to live here, right?

And yet very often all we do is complain... too crowded, too hot, too expensive, too competitive. Enough of that, we say. It's time to take a hard look at reality. Yes, Singapore does get you hot under the collar in more ways than one, but it's still a wonderful place to call home. Especially in today's post-9/11, post-Lehman world.

So we asked 20 of our readers to open their hearts and share why they are grateful to Singapore. And here's a glimpse what some of them had to say:

- This country provided all the opportunities for me to be where I am right now.

- The local friends I have made here have always been there to show me around the city and lend me a helping hand whenever I need it.

- We may not take the time to think about how the country has helped us, especially those who were born here. We sometimes take it for granted.

- Seven years on, I continue to get pleasant surprises of efficiency.
Singapore is addictive.

- I'm thankful to Singapore for being the place where I could be me.

-
The people of Singapore are very hardworking, caring and lion-hearted in sharing the abundance of this city with all who come to Singapore and make it their home.

- I can take a taxi at 2am without any fear. Wear jewellery and not be anxious about someone snatching it. I don't have to worry about pickpockets when taking public transport or the safety of my home if I lock it for a week and go on a holiday. Coming from India, I value this sense of security deeply. Though there are sporadic incidents, the crime rate in Singapore is almost negligible. Which makes it easier for me to do what I want, when I want, without thinking twice. - Ms Sunaina Anand, executive at Unilever Risk Management

- Singapore has some of the cleanest streets I have ever seen. It beats the likes of New York hands down. This despite having a hot, wet tropical climate that causes foliage, m&d and water to be everywhere. Kudos. Singapore's workflow pipelines are just as clean as its streets. Getting a telephone connection, an employment pass, a bank account and many other things was a breeze here. The country's extensive use of e-services may have something to do with it. I also love the way Singapore is close to my hometown. I can leave after work on an evening flight and reach home in Mumbai in time for a late dinner.
I moved here from New York. Travelling home from there was brutal in comparison. - Mr Mihir Mohite, DBS Bank associate

- A journey of personally enriching 13 years, that started with a SQ girl to living a beautiful marriage, cherishing motherhood, a decent career offering a platform to stand on equal footing, grow based on meritocracy. Singapore is addictive and is now home. - Ms Geetika Joshi, assistant vice-president of State Bank of India, Singapore

- I'm thankful to Singapore for being the place where I could be me. Meritocracy let me compete on equal terms in education and career. Safety and security gives me liberty of movement. People development helped me realise my potential, and racial harmony has made me a child of many cultures. - Ms Indranee Rajah, senior counsel and Member of Parliament

- A big thank you to Singapore; for being safe, for being hassle free, for systems which always work, for a great place to do business, for providing whatever it takes to be healthy in body and in mind. Seven years on, I continue to get pleasant surprises of efficiency. - Mr Himanshu Verma, CEO of Like Minds Consulting

- I belong to Singapore's G Generation.
That golden era gave us a good life with high CPF rates, high salaries and low property prices. We can now ride into the sunset peacefully and gracefully. - Mr P.N. Balji, media consultant

- I came to Singapore 56 years ago from Malaysia and I am very thankful that the country has progressed to this state. I am thankful to everybody at every stage who contributed to that progress, from the racial harmony to the education system. The racial harmony is tremendous despite the early troubles. I was there when Singapore went through the race issues like the Maria Hertogh riots. Other countries who are trying to create racial harmony are having trouble with it. Singapore has handled it very well. - Mr P.K. Koshy, president of the Singapore Malayalee Association

- I must say thank you to Singapore for the vast opportunities it offers everyone to realise their potentials. These "windows" of opportunity exist everywhere, for people of all ages, ethnicity, religion and class. Most importantly, women are given chances to go back to work or school after a long break, and this nurtures the "can do" spirit. - Dr Kalyani Mehta,academic and professional social worker

- I came to Singapore in 1994 and have had an enriched life as a teacher, painter and social worker. From day one, I felt at home in a foreign land and was readily accepted as a friend by my colleagues.

I have always relished the comfortable and secured living and could perform to the best of my ability because of the hassle-free, disciplined environment at the work places and the racial harmony displayed by the citizens of Singapore. I would like to thank Singapore for providing the platform for me to develop and establish myself as an artist. - Ms Sudakshina Ghosh, artist

- Singapore, the Lion City, has given a lion's share of significant opportunities to all its residents to achieve the best without any discrimination. The people of Singapore are very hardworking, caring and lion-hearted in sharing the abundance of this city with all who come to Singapore and make it their home. The city has a fantastic transportation system, well disciplined populace, green and clean spaces allowing one and all to enjoy the beauty and remain healthy. No wonder anyone who comes to Singapore immediately falls in love with the place and wants to make it their home forever. - Mr Shyam Sidhwani, regional manager(Far East Asia) of Voltas

- Being a woman athlete, I am grateful for the chance to be able to play cricket. The SCA (Singapore Cricket Association) has been trying to give us as many chances to play, allowing us to play in the men's league and trying to get funding for us. I am also thankful that, as a woman, I can feel safe to go back home in the wee hours of the morning. You don't have that in most other countries. - Ms Diviya G.K., captain of the Singapore women's cricket team

- I am grateful to Singapore for being the beacon of harmonious living of people, regardless of race, language or religion. I have never been made to feel like a minority here, as a Singaporean can never be a minority in Singapore. Singapore - my home; my past, my present and my future. - Mr Vadi P.V.S.S., actor and lawyer

- There are numerous reasons I am thankful to Singapore. I am thankful for a secure home, for being so much a part of the social fabric here, I don't feel left out in any way. I have been to many other countries and I can't compare Singapore to any other place. To me, it is a perfect place. It is home. -Mrs Sheila Bhagwan Daryanani, member of the Singapore Sindhi Association's managment committee

- As a family, we are thankful to Singapore for two great facilities that have helped us grow as better human beings: A world-class library system and the park connector network. While the first stimulates our minds, the second stimulates our outdoor activities and a healthy lifestyle. Also, these are perfect opportunities to share great family time together. - Prof Veena Jadhav, director (industry interface projects) of SP Jain School of Global Management

- I'll always be grateful that Singapore is where my passion for green issues has blossomed, as it provides the ideal environment for entrepreneurs and change-makers to create a network of like-minded, well-intentioned and purpose-driven people. I feel blessed to have got constant encouragement and support for my efforts. - Ms Bhavani Prakash, founder of Green Collar Asia and Eco Walk the Talk

- Singapore gave me a fair chance in my educational pursuits; it gave me a fair chance in employment; and, above all, it gave me a fair chance in life! In short, this country provided all the opportunities for me to be where I am right now. I cannot ask for more really. - Mr Hernaikh Singh, CEO of Singapore Indian Chamber of Commerce & Industry Limited

I chose Singapore as my study destination because of its diversity. It has a blend of different peoples, cultures, food, languages, music and that is what drew me to come here. Not only is this country's transportation service really impressive, the local friends I have made here have always been there to show me around the city and lend me a helping hand whenever I need it.

- Singapore is undoubtedly a fabulous place to study, live, learn and enjoy a wide range of fascinating things. I am highly grateful for its awesome hospitality, terrifically good people and the best international study experience I could ask for. - Mr Ronangon Chowdhury, student at MDIS

- Having lived in Singapore for over 50 years - I came here at the age of six from Amritsar, Punjab - I have seen this country shape up to be the best in the world. And this is due to our Government's excellent planning, with every detail looked into. I am grateful for the equal opportunity that the Government gives to all races, irrespective of religion and beliefs, and the safe environment. - Mr Ravinder Pal, CEO of Palvision Singapore which owns the Grand Palki restaurant

- The three Cs I find attractive about Singapore are it's Cultural diversity, mouth-watering Cuisine and Creative use of green spaces - Bukit Timah Nature reserve, Hort Park and the spectacular new Gardens by the Bay, to name just a few. Its safe environment, world class infrastructure and excellent educational and extra-curricular choices make it a great place to live and raise a family. - Ms Basabi Banerjee, teacher

- We may not take the time to think about how the country has helped us, especially those who were born here. We sometimes take it for granted. As I grow older, I am thinking more about how fortunate I am to be a Singaporean. Success of a nation is not guaranteed and even great nations historically have fallen on hard times in this globally connected world. We enjoy good housing, medical facilities, education, income, help schemes, leisure options, financial institutions and, above all, a very level-headed Government. Though there are those who gripe about the stress in education and high cost of living, I think that we are much better off than most people in the world. I am happy here. - Mr T. Raja Segar, CEO of Singapore Indian Development Association

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Being a woman athlete, I am grateful for the chance to be able to play cricket. The SCA (Singapore Cricket Association) has been trying to give us as many chances to play, allowing us to play in the men's league and trying to get funding for us. I am also thankful that, as a woman, I can feel safe to go back home in the wee hours of the morning. You don't have that in most other countries. - Ms Diviya G.K., captain of the Singapore women's cricket team

It won't be long before cricket becomes Singapore's second national sport, after table tennis.

Just you wait and see.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Why all Indians??? I did something bad today. I was at the gents during lunchtime when I heard someone washing his backside (water hose running inside the cubicle) and the body smell of an ABNN was so strong. I went back to the rubbish bin, took out the plastic container of curry which I could not finish and poured them into the plastic bag. Went back to the toilet and threw the bag of curry into the cubicle and ran for my life :biggrin:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I'm a Singaporean and I've been singing praises about the country too. It's a great place. Sinkies need to spend a couple of years living somewhere else before they realise what a wonderful country they belong to.

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why all Indians??? I did something bad today. I was at the gents during lunchtime when I heard someone washing his backside (water hose running inside the cubicle) and the body smell of an ABNN was so strong. I went back to the rubbish bin, took out the plastic container of curry which I could not finish and poured them into the plastic bag. Went back to the toilet and threw the bag of curry into the cubicle and ran for my life :biggrin:

Thanks bro... I learned something today ...

These chao orh guis like to wet the whole floor before and after shit ... In their village in shitland i think they just shit anywhere they like ... Wtf ...

Nabeh ...