• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Retire in China?

sta1100

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retiring in China is a reasonable idea and i have been thinking anout it even though retirement is still quite far off. Stay away from the big cities and you Singapore dollar can bring you a long way.

Truth, but you have to go into 3 tier city over there housing food etc is cheaper, i'am looking into than. Big city like shanghai are out too pack etc

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, it also depends on where you stay. It is always worthwhile to be "connected" in china before settling there. Things works differently there. I suppose getting a wife there would be quickiest way to settle there.

Xian Mu you have double citizenship ! Bloody jealous...

Yanzi

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Retiring in China may not be that bad. Just depends what happens 20-30 years from now.

Hi Ash007, you have double citizenship?

Wow, how you do it? Can you share your secret with us? PM me if you feel uncomfortable to post.

Thank you

Yanzi

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Truth, but you have to go into 3 tier city over there housing food etc is cheaper, i'am looking into than. Big city like shanghai are out too pack etc

Hi, can share with us what are some of the 3rd tier cities you have in mind?

Yanzi

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Indeed, it also depends on where you stay. It is always worthwhile to be "connected" in china before settling there. Things works differently there. I suppose getting a wife there would be quickiest way to settle there.

Hi Ash007, you have a PRC wife?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a couple of threads in the emigration folder that highlight the issue of citizenship for Singaporean. I suggest you hop over there.

Hi Ash007, you have double citizenship?

Wow, how you do it? Can you share your secret with us? PM me if you feel uncomfortable to post.

Thank you

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are not so western in your orientation, China is a good place to retire. Hangzhou could be a good place to be in, the peace and quiet of the lake, the history and close to a big centre like Shanghai. If you are western in orientation but can also enjoy Chinese culture, Qingdao could be another destination.

People who wish to make such a move, must first learn how to dissociate politics from economics. Although in politics, there is a long way yet to go, in economics, China is as capitalist as any country if not most. Also if you have the money, you can buy services which you may not find easy to obtain in Singapore.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is a couple of threads in the emigration folder that highlight the issue of citizenship for Singaporean.

Interesting. PRC issues citizenship to spouses of PRC citizen.

If you are not so western in your orientation, China is a good place to retire. Hangzhou could be a good place to be in, the peace and quiet of the lake, the history and close to a big centre like Shanghai. If you are western in orientation but can also enjoy Chinese culture, Qingdao could be another destination.

Any place with lakes and hills always welcomed. Can also practice qi gong in the morning and folk dancing in the evenings.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Retiring in China may not be that bad. Just depends what happens 20-30 years from now.

A lot of things can change in 20 years. 20 years ago is just when GSM phones were introduced. People where still using big brother analog handphones.

Our lives are just part of the running series of events called history.

Many of the Chinese diaspora starts life in Singapore, with the ancestral home in China. How many will think about retiring in China one day 20 years ago?

Hongkong public TV station, RTHK, produced an interesting 5-part series about overseas chinese.

What Chinese think of going back from USA after KMT ROC China, China during Korean war, PRC China and now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OvioK7Msce8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

DelphiGOD

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hehe.. Bao Er 奶... not a bad idea !

If you're RICH, filthy RICH, you can bao anything...including this...

Hoang-Bao-Tran-Le-photo-004.jpg

cheongwilly

Alfrescian
Loyal
I been living here for past 15 years and enjoyed every-bit of it. I think to pass judgement without knowing is not good.

Now I have a farm with 4000 fake chickens which I remote control , 30,000 fake fish which I sell for $$$ to the local market where they pay me fake money.

But I am living a lifestyle only Singapore can dream off with fruits trees, my own vegetables gardens and my china love. hahaha

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I been living here for past 15 years and enjoyed every-bit of it. I think to pass judgement without knowing is not good.

Now I have a farm with 4000 fake chickens which I remote control , 30,000 fake fish which I sell for $$$ to the local market where they pay me fake money.

But I am living a lifestyle only Singapore can dream off with fruits trees, my own vegetables gardens and my china love. hahaha

Opinion not judgement.

After poor quality firecrackers burn down buildings and injure people, I want to sell fake fire extinguishers in China, but too many smart locals there doing the same thing. :(

Last edited:

contangee

Alfrescian
Loyal
The idea of retiring in China is very intriguing. High purchasing power from your saving or retirement income and yet no issue with communication if you are Chinese. Safety should be pretty good as well. More importantly, just the diversity of places you can go to is a big plus. My wife would never go for it but I would think retiring to Guilin / YangShou area would be like moving to paradise. The only downside is the lack of good medical care.