• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Did you notice the rows and rows of empty seats in Parliament last week?

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Should Singapore’s Members Of Parliament Still Hold Full-Time Occupations?

Mr. Paul Chan (blog) explained his perspectives back in 2007. He postulates:

“Assuming a [Member of Parliament] holds a managerial position[:] by the end of the day, wouldn’t she be really brain tired? … I mean, she could physically be there, but mentally she might have switched off already. By the time she meets her residents, her mind would have already been working for more than [nine] hours. She is giving the best slots of her mind to [her parent company], instead of her residents” (Link).

The question is not whether the day job would negatively affect the roles and responsibilities of a MP (because our politicians commonly counter these arguments by claiming that they have the innate capabilities to multi-task and multi-commit); rather, the obvious proposition is that our representatives would be able to contribute more – quantitatively and qualitatively – without these plethora of commitments.

- http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/20...-parliament-still-hold-full-time-occupations/

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The guy is a complete idiot. The very foundation of the parliamentary system is that MPs are part of the community they represent.

Being a backbench MP is not supposed to be a full time job.

I now understand why Singapore is such a mess. It's full of ill informed and downright ignorant people masquerading as intellectuals.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The guy is a complete idiot. The very foundation of the parliamentary system is that MPs are part of the community they represent.

I now understand why Singapore is such a mess. It's full of ill informed and downright ignorant people masquerading as intellectuals.

Cannot blame him. LKY Singaporeans are the lost generations.

The extent of damage caused by LKY is clearly evident.

PAP MPs also see their Opposition as Enemy who should not enjoy the same extra parliamentary privileges.

Singaporeans idea of a change of government is one of riots and upheavals. Not the peaceful transition post General Election. That is how lost they are.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....ya lor boss, they are not like me who will admit that "i am a kuku"...
lidat PLP got ang pow or not???

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are definitely one of those "Intellectuals".

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

It's not surprising considering the fact that your system in this forum also created another stuck up, asshole masquerading moderator :biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can tell you that their full-time occupation pays peanuts compared to the directorship fees they get.

Some of them hold multiple directorships.

Their so-called 'full time job' may be one in non-profit, educational sector, holding some professional or middle management post.
The job is laid back, with plenty of leave days for lengthy vacations (and business trips unrelated to the company which they're working for) and golf 'half-day offs'.

Theoretically they could just quit their full-time day job and not dent their quality of life.

They are on a totally different level compared to lowly Sinkies. Lowly Sinkies cling onto their job like a lifeboat.

These people, on the other hand, make money mainly through investments and business dealings.
Their kind of investment is different from Sinkies buying shitty stocks on the SGX for paltry dividends, or scrambling for some hyped up IPO.
No, these people fly to China, throw a few million into the startup of a factory, then fly back on the same day.

Certain (ex-?) PAP MPs do this. I can tell you that it is entirely true and in no way exaggerated.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
The very foundation of the parliamentary system is that MPs are part of the community they represent.

Ya man. Besides having a full time job, they should hold as many directorships as possible for the business community they represent.