• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Commentary, straight talk on less of "hot air" with junta rule

COMMENTARY

Bring on an election, not more hot air

Bangkok PostPublished: 17/02/2015 at 06:00 AM

Will all political conflicts, everything that we have disagreed and fought over, disappear if PM Prayut Chan-o-cha sits down and talks them over with former PM Thaksin Shinawatra?

It's true that Gen Prayut wasted no time in shooting down the proposal made by National Reform Assembly (NRA) member Wanchai Sornsiri on Sunday.

The PM said as a state official, he is not in a position to meet or negotiate with a fugitive trying to escape a court ruling. He can't assign anyone else to do it on his behalf either as that would be equally wrong.

Although it is no longer a valid proposal, Mr Wanchai's idea is still worth musing over.

According to Mr Wanchai, the coup, and everything the costly exercise of replacing political conflicts with military dictatorship entails, would come to naught without a meeting between the two titans.

We can write a new charter. We can organise unity forums in every village. But the country will never be reconciled unless its major politicians, political groups and political parties can strike an agreement among themselves, Mr Wanchai said.

I agree with Mr Wanchai that the new constitution and other fragmented activities to forge a sense of unity are doomed to fail.

The Thai people have made peace with their political choices and affiliations. To many of them, unfortunately, the military junta is not a neutral party that can serve as a mediator.

The military has become an active part of the ongoing conflicts since Gen Prayut staged the May 22, 2014 coup, or even before that.

It's thus unlikely that these people will accept whatever the junta has done as a legitimate platform for national reconciliation.

I will add that the junta is actually doing many things that are jeopardising efforts at reconciliation, if any are being made.

What do you think a summons or "attitude adjustment" session will achieve for people who disagree with the coup if not a deeper sense of animosity?

Resorting to heavy-handed measures including martial law and the Military Court to deal with peaceful, symbolic protests such as one held by anti-coup students at the Bangkok Art and Culture Centre on Saturday will only fire up a spirit of defiance in others who might want to show more forceful resistance.

The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has often said it is here to stamp out political conflicts. It's ironic, therefore, that its presence and its continued suppression of anti-coup voices has turned it into a key perpetrator of conflicts itself.

Back to Mr Wanchai's proposal, I wonder what the reform committee member had in mind when he suggested that Gen Prayut and Thaksin talk. Did he want Thaksin to turn himself in and face his jail term? Did he want Thaksin and his Pheu Thai Party to retreat from Thai politics? Did he want the two men to strike a deal on a political amnesty to clear the decks so that others can move forward?

It's difficult to imagine what the two men can say or do that will resolve the deep-rooted and seemingly irreconcilable political differences that have ensnared politics in this country for more than a decade.

It's even more illogical considering the two men actually represent no-one in the country. The political conflicts have pitched groups of people against one another. Hundreds have died as a result. What on earth can be a fair deal for millions of people, who uphold a variety of different political ideals, that can come from the two men?

I understand that Mr Wanchai probably made the suggestion because it could be a convenient solution to the conflict, Thai-style.

The general and former PM are two big men who command large followings. Mr Wanchai must have thought it would be easier for supporters of the two major political camps to move forward if their leaders could reach an agreement on what terms they want. There would be no clashes, no more blood-letting. People would just follow their leaders.

Alas, this vision is way too simplistic to accommodate the enormous complications that mark Thai politics today. The conflicts have become too deep to be resolved with talks between two people. They can only be managed, just like in other democratic countries.

Gen Prayut does not need to talk with Thaksin. What he should do is hold a new election and let democracy run the reconciliation course.

Atiya Achakulwisut is Contributing Editor, Bangkok Post.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
It's the eve of Chinese New Year, most Chinese hawker stalls are closed. Lucky still can find fishball noodle in Guan Kim coffeeshop beside market

nice

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
China ruled out as sole rail funder. Japanese loans seen as good alternative

http://www2.bangkokpost.com/news/general/477720/china-ruled-out-as-sole-rail-funder

rail.jpg
rail2.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
To all visitors to Thailand and to this thread

[video=youtube;C9s84yKDCDk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9s84yKDCDk[/video]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Lazy to go anywhere far so decided to just have brunch at Seah Street near hotel

chicken wings

half chicken ($20)

the new for two costs $41 barley water is another $4 so total $45 not cheap

taste is just say normal, prefers Sin Kee in Mei Chin

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
If one is hungry for noodles during Chinese New Year, this stall opposite Bugis is always open everyday. Tastes good too.

Last bowl of noodle before heading back to Bangkok

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
brother [joetys]

Wish you a Happy and Prosperous Lunar Chinese New Year,
as well as strong and profitable business.

Cheers!

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi everyone! long time no come in liao. hows everyone?

anyway, I will do doing something crazy. will be driving from Bangkok to changmai for the first time next week. trying to catch the flower show in CM. anyone can recommend me what is a good place to visit (not stopover as I plan to complete the drive in 1 day) along the route?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
hi everyone! long time no come in liao. hows everyone?

anyway, I will do doing something crazy. will be driving from Bangkok to changmai for the first time next week. trying to catch the flower show in CM. anyone can recommend me what is a good place to visit (not stopover as I plan to complete the drive in 1 day) along the route?

Welcome to Bangkok Dietcoke.

I have never driven from Bangkok to Chiangmai before but many of my staff had and they claimed it takes 9-10 hours with 3-4 stops. Dietcoke please take rests because most of us sinkies are not use to driving more than 1hr. Have a safe drive buddy.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Five days away and bow back with a vengeance. Missed Thai food so much with so much sinkie food past few days.

Coconut

Kampong Chicken Tomyam

backed cockles

Fried chicken

Seabass with garlic

Fish sauce cabbage

Kailan, salted fish fried rice

Only manage one Thai meal, leaving again tomorrow

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Five days away and bow back with a vengeance. Missed Thai food so much with so much sinkie food past few days.

Coconut

Kampong Chicken Tomyam

backed cockles

Fried chicken

Seabass with garlic

Fish sauce cabbage

Kailan, salted fish fried rice

Only manage one Thai meal, leaving again tomorrow

If you consume cockles regularly make sure you keep your Hepatitis A inoculations up to date.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
If you consume cockles regularly make sure you keep your Hepatitis A inoculations up to date.

Thank you Leongsam. I've still not got my jab, even though I'm one of those who don't take him (not even in my char kway teow), I think it's prudent to have one. Hep A is actually not uncommon in countries like Thailand and Indonesia where I live and transmitted not just through dirty or affected seafood but person to person.

My gardener in Thailand has and so often absent from work I really pity him. My Indonesian manager just got it like 3 months ago. Thanks I'll go do it in my next annual check in March.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Was looking for a nice tze-char last night and a friend suggested Fatty Wing next to Burlington Square. Was a great reminder as Fatty's had been forgotten and completely out of my "list" for a long time.

Arrived there at 7pm and as there was an overcast wanted to sit inside but it was fully booked. Was told I could sit next door mama drinks stall but must order drinks from them. It was a pleasant surprise as mama stall serves imported beers by the bottle and could also mix some drinks.

Mama shop with angmoh name

ordered a tonic Bacardi friends ordered Hoegaarden

Fatty's

Signature dish - hokkien mee

sang meen

Gou lou yok

Deer meat with ginger

Deep fried seafood tofu

Simple dishes we ordered but a great meal for 3, will go back again soon.