• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can stick SIM into USB modem ?

Looks like my thriftiness has resulted in my "backdatedness".

Yes, your usb modem requires a SIM. It helps to think that it's just like a phone minus voice. Sounds like you got your current modem via a telco provider, and it automatically worked out of the box. In that case, the modem was pre-installed already with a SIM (e.g. say, starhub).

When you go to Thailand, you will need to swap SIMs. Also you will need to know the APN (Access Point Name - something that identifies the telco's network), username/password combination to log into the Thai network. They will provide you that when you buy a SIM. This APN/username/password is not secret - everyone on a particular network uses the same combination - for True, for example, it is internet/internet/internet. But don't forget to ask - you will probably need it to key it into into your modem's "dialer" application.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm probably thriftier than you :smile: But in case you want to update your equipment in the future - you might want to get a newer smartphone (Android/iPhone) and you can do away with your usb modem. Smartphone SIMs are usually voice+data and even better, the newer ones allow you to create a personal hotspot e.g. your phone connects to the internet and shares that via a private wifi zone with your notebook (this is called wireless tethering). From your laptop's perspective, it's like you're connecting to a wifi hotspot.

That way, you can take calls and surf the net at the same time.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..might want to get a newer smartphone (Android/iPhone) and you can do away with your usb modem. Smartphone SIMs are usually voice+data and even better. ...can take calls and surf the net at the same time.
I'm a duffer on new gizmos, only to stay connected (work and private emails ..ok, plus sbf:o). Once I tried dual sim card (Sg and thai) on el cheapo Motorola. But kena confused with common phone book, can be antarai (dangerous) in case "accident" with OC +555.

So now carry el cheapo + regular Sg phone, in 2 bulging pockets. At least can manage diff ring tones (vibration too):p Life shd not be complicated (as it is already)

Micro-sim more for Apple phones, Ipad. Only trouble is if you forget the hairpin extractor (for swopping), improvise with toothpick.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Think also can top up locally on th mobile, as AIS auto roam (partner with Singtel). Obviously, top up card here sells at a premium.

Volume or time time based depends on usage preference. If volume, remember to switch off data when done -else koyak after a night's sleep (as I kena). Time based allows standby. And if only voice calls, ensure internet setting's off else you are out of pocket in double quick time. Think both got 1 month expiry date.

3G not available in outlying, remote areas. Runs on Edge, sucks. By comparison, LOS network's still better than Philippines as latter's connectivity is spotty. Even for sms, can get delayed 1-1.5hours. Reflects infrastructure diff in 2 countries.

Yes i can top up my thai sim card in sg. Just turn it on wait for it to connect to a network which is m1 for me. Then later go to website key in my number and a password will be sms to my phone. From there just go to top up section and key in cc number. For minimum of 400bh top up there's some type of special plan in which i have some discount. Exchange rates aren't that good from visa but that's fine. Beats having to go to convinence stores to top up.

Overall i think AIS has pretty good rates seems like many ppl are on AIS.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm probably thriftier than you :smile: But in case you want to update your equipment in the future - you might want to get a newer smartphone (Android/iPhone) and you can do away with your usb modem. Smartphone SIMs are usually voice+data and even better, the newer ones allow you to create a personal hotspot e.g. your phone connects to the internet and shares that via a private wifi zone with your notebook (this is called wireless tethering). From your laptop's perspective, it's like you're connecting to a wifi hotspot.

This is the best way. If you got an iphone you can whasapp, imessage anything to do with data and the other party wont even know that you're not in Singapore.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Exchange rates aren't that good from visa but that's fine. Beats having to go to convinence stores to top up. Overall i think AIS has pretty good rates seems like many ppl are on AIS.
Plastic's always lousy forex (you can't win banks, it's a BIG profit centre!). So for bigger outlays (hotels, makan), you better off with cash -so convenience comes with a price. Same for "emergencies" (over spent in bars, arb nams), when you load up from ATMs -with interbank bank charges to boot. In Philippines, cash can be -5% discount upfront in restaurants, hotels. But then, who carries so much mickey mouse money in their socks?!

AIS got pretty good coverage, recall DTAC was penalised Dec for "outage". Just remember 1 month expiry thingy, but can ask AIS for a longer shelf life plan without having to top up during infrequent drop bys

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same stuff. I'm not referring to internet access via the phone. I'm referring to a USB modem where I can just plug into my notebook to surf internet. I'm still using a "functionless" mobile phone, so internet access at the moment is strictly via notebook.

Can stick SIM into USB modem ?

USB modem that uses SIM is call Aircard in LOS regardless of the modem brand. Now, all AIS SIM card are 3G ready. All you need to do is dial a number to activate 3G. After that, you dial another number to subscribe to a plan. Almost all Aircard now comes with a SIM card. The last one I bought comes with free 30 hours.

I'm a duffer on new gizmos, only to stay connected (work and private emails ..ok, plus sbf:o). Once I tried dual sim card (Sg and thai) on el cheapo Motorola. But kena confused with common phone book, can be antarai (dangerous) in case "accident" with OC +555.

So now carry el cheapo + regular Sg phone, in 2 bulging pockets. At least can manage diff ring tones (vibration too):p Life shd not be complicated (as it is already)

Micro-sim more for Apple phones, Ipad. Only trouble is if you forget the hairpin extractor (for swopping), improvise with toothpick.
I love Dual Sim Card phones!! :p

Yes i can top up my thai sim card in sg. Just turn it on wait for it to connect to a network which is m1 for me. Then later go to website key in my number and a password will be sms to my phone. From there just go to top up section and key in cc number. For minimum of 400bh top up there's some type of special plan in which i have some discount. Exchange rates aren't that good from visa but that's fine. Beats having to go to convinence stores to top up.

Overall i think AIS has pretty good rates seems like many ppl are on AIS.
Jah, if you have an online account with a LOS bank, you can top up even when you are not in LOS. And it's confirm cheaper than VISA.

This is the best way. If you got an iphone you can whasapp, imessage anything to do with data and the other party wont even know that you're not in Singapore.
Hehehe. One reason I will not be using iphone.

AIS got pretty good coverage, recall DTAC was penalised Dec for "outage". Just remember 1 month expiry thingy, but can ask AIS for a longer shelf life plan without having to top up during infrequent drop bys
Yes. even in upcountry, AIS rocks! As for 3G, True is still the best so far. Using DTAC as my main number cos' this number has been in use since day 1 in LOS.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For those interested in golf, there's a golf event going on in Pattaya. It's HONDA LPGA Thailand 2012 from 16-19 Feb.

Photo0341.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Actually, I tried using iphone and samsung galaxy (both 3G phones) as modems via Bluetooth for my notebook. The speed is very slow. :(

But the phones when in 3G mode by itself are able to get good speed.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chonburi City (Mueang Chonburi) is about 60 km from Pattaya. There are also many attractions in the Sri Racha, Ao Udom, Ang Sila, Bang Saen and Chonburi city districts. Will probably spend more time exploring these few places. Pic is Central Plaza (flagship store is Robinson) in Chonburi city.

Photo0363.jpg

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, I tried using iphone and samsung galaxy (both 3G phones) as modems via Bluetooth for my notebook. The speed is very slow. :(

But the phones when in 3G mode by itself are able to get good speed.

No not bluetooth (which is 5x-20x slower). Wireless tethering is done using wifi 802.11b/g.
Your phone creates a wifi signal, just like a router. Your notebook uses wifi (not bluetooth) to connect to phone.
Phone = Router = WiFi
Notebook -> wifi -> phone -> 3G/4G

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chonburi City (Mueang Chonburi) is about 60 km from Pattaya. There are also many attractions in the Sri Racha, Ao Udom, Ang Sila, Bang Saen and Chonburi city districts. Pic is Central Plaza (flagship store is Robinson) in Chonburi city.
Memories from my nearby Bangsen trip 2 years ago, passed by this mall enroute. Bangsen's beach is rough and polluted. But popular getaway with locals, as accessible for Bangkokians for odd quiet weekend. Even got Tawandeng with live music. Only good resort is Tide Resort, rest 2/3 star and guest houses types.

http://www.thetide-resort.com/

But NO happening there, only vegetate (as I did with my ex). Good seafood across the hill somewhere out, next to sea and cheap.. with duty free chivas, cigars (sampling of good life)

Rotikosong said:
Arh... kao jai

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No not bluetooth (which is 5x-20x slower). Wireless tethering is done using wifi 802.11b/g.
Your phone creates a wifi signal, just like a router. Your notebook uses wifi (not bluetooth) to connect to phone.
Phone = Router = WiFi
Arh! Korb Kun Mak Mak! rotikosong. How come never think of that? Now, need to figure how to do the setup.

Memories from my nearby Bangsen trip 2 years ago, passed by this mall enroute. Bangsen's beach is rough and polluted. But popular getaway with locals, as accessible for Bangkokians for odd quiet weekend. Even got Tawandeng with live music. Only good resort is Tide Resort, rest 2/3 star and guest houses types.

But NO happening there, only vegetate (as I did with my ex). Good seafood across the hill somewhere out, next to sea and cheap.. with duty free chivas, cigars (sampling of good life)
hehehe. YY, think you didn't stay long enough to discover more. Burapha University is in Bang Saen and the 'tight uniform university' sao sao are all there. Don't stay near the beach lah. Stay near the university/town.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is another university call Kaset sart in Sri Racha. Also produces many sao sao wearing tight uniforms. How come so early and my mind keep thinking of sao sao?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Phone = Router = WiFi

Ya I use this very often. The hell with free wifi for my MacBook, no need to be beggar, I use iPhone as a wifi platform via 3G to do my computing whenever I am outdoor. Also when I holiday with wife I will be the one paying for unlimited data roaming with AIS for business, wife will just "hook" onto my iPhone via my iPhone hotspot for her Instagram fix. Last week sister visited me with husband and 3 kids, whenever with me all 5 will link to my iPhone for LINE, WhatsApp, FB, Instagram etc

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
thai_student_uniform.jpg

Burapha University is in Bang Saen and the 'tight uniform university' sao sao are all there. Don't stay near the beach lah. Stay near the university/town.

I never tell you I will invest in a few apartments near universities when I get the financial capability, gigs la. :biggrin:. Kao-jai-mai?

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jah, if you have an online account with a LOS bank, you can top up even when you are not in LOS. And it's confirm cheaper than VISA.

chon i can top up my card in sg now. As long as the phone is able to connect to a network so that it can receive a 1 time password to log into the site. Do you know some AIS staff don't even know that you don't need a los bank account and you can still top up the card? I managed to do that and under the section where they put country you can select singapore or any other country.