• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
9cece352.jpg

Fried Chicken Wings

b47b5a80.jpg

Na-day-deow beef jerky

1d8fb4b0.jpg

Tom-saep

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Needless to say wash all gjose food with Singha beer la. Now waiting for next band.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bought a new AIS 3G Aircard. Suppose to be 7.2Mbps but still find it quite slow.:(
Think will use back the wired dsl from 3bb. What are your experience with these 3G aircards in other parts of LOS?

View attachment 3767

I use Truemove-H prepaid. I had a 3.6Mbps aircard and I got 2.5Mbps down/1.5Mbps up with 4/5 bar reception in Sutthisan and Ramkhamhaeng. I have since bought 2 other faster cards (one 7.2Mbps, the other 41Mbps) since but have not used them yet but will do so next month when I am in Bangkok.

There is 3G and 3.5G (or 3G+) in Thailand. 2.5Mbps down is typical for 3G. Anecdotally, I've heard of speeds up to 7-8Mbps down with 3.5G. Truemove-H is supposed to be 3.5G. Conversely, True is 3G.

You can measure your own speeds at speedtest.net

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys, the air cards are they available only on subscription basis ? Or do they have pay per use which allows you to top up as and when the credit is low ?

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys, the air cards are they available only on subscription basis ? Or do they have pay per use which allows you to top up as and when the credit is low ?

Aircard you buy (e.g. pantip plaza sells 7.2Mbps cards for around 1000B). Aircard SIM you get from AIS, DTAC, True. I used prepaid TrueMove-H, a relatively new service. The postpaid SIM was launched late last year and they only came out with a prepaid SIM January this year. Yes you top up as and when needed, TrueMove-H prepaid is metered based on size usage e.g. Mb. DTAC I know sells time-based packages e.g. metered by hour.

When credit is low, you top up on TrueMove-H the usual way. You decide then to buy anew of the usage packages they offer e.g. 100Mb, 300Mb, 1GB etc. Balance does not expire for 6 months.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

I never use aircard, but during the flood while wife and I ran road to Japan, home's 3BB internet connection was cutoff and maid got to: walk in water, take boat, hitchhike etc to get to BigC to buy an AIS aircard in order to get into the internet and Facebook and also to send me photos of the situation at home particularly to report about my dog's condition. Guess the aircard kept her sane during the 30 days home alone (with dog). She's good mate, we're so lucky.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Aircard you buy (e.g. pantip plaza sells 7.2Mbps cards for around 1000B). Aircard SIM you get from AIS, DTAC, True. I used prepaid TrueMove-H, a relatively new service. The postpaid SIM was launched late last year and they only came out with a prepaid SIM January this year. Yes you top up as and when needed, TrueMove-H prepaid is metered based on size usage e.g. Mb. DTAC I know sells time-based packages e.g. metered by hour.

When credit is low, you top up on TrueMove-H the usual way. You decide then to buy anew of the usage packages they offer e.g. 100Mb, 300Mb, 1GB etc. Balance does not expire for 6 months.

Walau eh pii rotikosong, you talk like you in communication business or comms expert. You say you coming to Bangkok next month but you talk like you live in Bangkok man. Was about to ask you join me in Somtan Nua again tomorrow.

Cheers.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Are u going japan with your wife ? I can pm u my number in japan if u wanna meet up :wink: .

No la drifter, I work while she go. But I plan to go to Japan with her again end of the year. Thanks buddy.

One of the most guarded secrets in Thai dining in Bangkok !

Thank you KYP. I will go try next time I drive wife to Central World for her monthly spa and facial at KOSE in Isetan.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks. I have been waiting for a prepaid internet card for a long time. Prefer a time-based. Size based, after one video, habez !

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I use Truemove-H prepaid. I had a 3.6Mbps aircard and I got 2.5Mbps down/1.5Mbps up with 4/5 bar reception in Sutthisan and Ramkhamhaeng. I have since bought 2 other faster cards (one 7.2Mbps, the other 41Mbps) since but have not used them yet but will do so next month when I am in Bangkok.

There is 3G and 3.5G (or 3G+) in Thailand. 2.5Mbps down is typical for 3G. Anecdotally, I've heard of speeds up to 7-8Mbps down with 3.5G. Truemove-H is supposed to be 3.5G. Conversely, True is 3G.

You can measure your own speeds at speedtest.net

I have an AIS prepaid sim card. AIS allows unlimited usage for 1 day subscription. I hear the AIS offers the best rates and that truemove is more expensive. When i first started using i would sometimes forget to resubscribe. It's quite stupid cos if you forget to resubscribe or turn off the internet once the 24 hrs is up you'll be charged like 1 bhat per min for internet usage. Thailand's mobile phone credit system still isn't as convinent as sg's. You can use a credit card to add credit but the rates are very lousy if you don't have a thai bank account.

Here's the site in which i can log into even in sg where i can top up and check credit

https://12calleservice.ais.co.th/EP...cBhJfg4SdSyZjjSTTHQfhnb9GkJtzX4fGq!1942288942

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Walau eh pii rotikosong, you talk like you in communication business or comms expert. You say you coming to Bangkok next month but you talk like you live in Bangkok man. Was about to ask you join me in Somtan Nua again tomorrow.

Cheers.

Not pii lah. I think perhaps you may be older by a year or more. Sorry did not intend to give impression I live in BKK - I do not. I've just been there quite a few times over the years. Also far from expert in data comms - just a consumer that's all

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..if you forget to resubscribe or turn off the internet once the 24 hrs is up you'll be charged like 1 bhat per min for internet usage. Thailand's mobile phone credit system still isn't as convinent as sg's. Here's the site in which i can log into even in sg where i can top up and check credit
https://12calleservice.ais.co.th/EP...cBhJfg4SdSyZjjSTTHQfhnb9GkJtzX4fGq!1942288942
Khun Ying Pojaman said:
prepaid internet card for a long time. Prefer a time-based. Size based, after one video, habez !
Think also can top up locally on th mobile, as AIS auto roam (partner with Singtel). Obviously, top up card here sells at a premium.

Volume or time time based depends on usage preference. If volume, remember to switch off data when done -else koyak after a night's sleep (as I kena). Time based allows standby. And if only voice calls, ensure internet setting's off else you are out of pocket in double quick time. Think both got 1 month expiry date.

3G not available in outlying, remote areas. Runs on Edge, sucks. By comparison, LOS network's still better than Philippines as latter's connectivity is spotty. Even for sms, can get delayed 1-1.5hours. Reflects infrastructure diff in 2 countries.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
KYP, what the bros here posted are 100% correct. Add some more:

1. I am using AIS prepaid unlimited at THB 799 (First 3Gbyte at 3G speed, subsequent is at EDGE speed)
2. Go for TRUE if possible.
3. Both AIS and TRUE offer prepaid but only AIS has unlimited plan for prepaid.
4. If you want unlimited for TRUE, postpaid is the only option.
5. Even better is try out the service at when you use internet most.
6. Finally, will be switching to TRUE postpaid after my experience with AIS.
7. Actually, you can top up online using Internet banking, I am using Kasikorn, SCB and Ayuthaya.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Will be going to Chonburi city for a meeting this morning. Will see if there's anything sanook there. :wink:

Have a nice day!

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same stuff. I'm not referring to internet access via the phone. I'm referring to a USB modem where I can just plug into my notebook to surf internet. I'm still using a "functionless" mobile phone, so internet access at the moment is strictly via notebook.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Sawasdee krup guys.

If you talk to Thais about AIS please pronounce it as "A I ADD"

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same stuff. I'm not referring to internet access via the phone. I'm referring to a USB modem where I can just plug into my notebook to surf internet. I'm still using a "functionless" mobile phone, so internet access at the moment is strictly via notebook.

As they say, a SIM is a SIM is a SIM (unless it is a microsim- which are smaller than usual-but are uncommon). Don't worry, you can take a voice+data SIM and stick it in your usb modem. After you're done surfing, you can stick that SIM back in your phone and make calls. Which, ironically enough, all this swapping seems entirely appropriate behavior in BKK :wink:

Last edited:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
As they say, a SIM is a SIM is a SIM (unless it is a microsim- which are smaller than usual-but are uncommon). Don't worry, you can take a voice+data SIM and stick it in your usb modem. After you're done surfing, you can stick that SIM back in your phone and make calls. Which, ironically enough, all this swapping seems entirely appropriate behavior in BKK :wink:

Can stick SIM into USB modem ?

Looks like my thriftiness has resulted in my "backdatedness".

Last edited: