• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand ? Feasible?

we all know the advantage of living in thai ..cost of living ...what about some disadvantage of living in thai to make this thread more balance :wink:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No need 6mil, if you shop around 3mil-4mil is enough to get you a nice 40-60sqm condo with all condo facilities just slightly outside downtown like in Lat Phrao and Ramkamphaeng areas no problem.

How long is the property ownership in BKK:confused: Is it 30 years.?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

we all know the advantage of living in thai ..cost of living ...what about some disadvantage of living in thai to make this thread more balance :wink:

If you have money, can read and write Thai, know some police and army friends, there're really not much disadvantage left. The kingdom is your oyster.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Its like the JB folder, they have no intention of taking up Malaysian citizenship or sending their kids to the school there, more a relief and some variety. If you are a frequent traveller due to business or pleasure, it somehow grows on you and you would want to learn more and get the best of both worlds.

yeah such cheapskate sometime bite off more than they can chew. want to stay in johor, like malaysia so much, nature and space etc? Go and become malaysian lah, like putting one feet in malaysia and one feet in singapore. What can they achieve for their kids? Their kids are no better off, still have to go NS, still have to get the cheap singapore education system. If they go to first world country, their kids have more balance education, sport, music and arts and enough math/science for the future.

In johor. the next election, muslim fundamentalist take over and change the law, all their investment in johor will go down the drain.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

If you have money, can read and write Thai, know some police and army friends, there're really not much disadvantage left. The kingdom is your oyster.

whahahaha...well said , but that apply to all country not only thai . what about those with little money and no connection :wink: ?

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

whahahaha...well said , but that apply to all country not only thai . what about those with little money and no connection :wink: ?

Make money and make connection, isn't that obvious?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I wouldn't recommend buying condo or car in Thailand. Foreigners would never really own anything in Thailand. Might as well rent your place and take public tranport. It's cheaper even in the long run and easier to get out if and when you want or need to leave Thailand. They change governments faster than some people change underwears.

Enjoy your foreigner status there. The police and army will accord you foreigner protection. It's not advisable to get entangled with property ownership or business shareholding unless you're heading MNC. To paraphrase Forrest Gump, "Thailand is like a box of chocolate; you'd never know what you're going to get."

A foreign woman may have a chance to become legally naturalized Thai by marrying a wealthy Thai man who can afford to sponsor her application, e.g. my cousin. No foreign man can become legally naturalized Thai, not even by marriage to Thai women. There's no Thai law allowing that.

why can't a man become a thai citizen but a woman can?

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Make money and make connection, isn't that obvious?

yes ....wealth come first after that power :wink: but what about those who dont have the ablity to make enough $ ? what are the cons for living in thai ?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

yeah such cheapskate sometime bite off more than they can chew. want to stay in johor, like malaysia so much, nature and space etc? Go and become malaysian lah, like putting one feet in malaysia and one feet in singapore. What can they achieve for their kids? Their kids are no better off, still have to go NS, still have to get the cheap singapore education system. If they go to first world country, their kids have more balance education, sport, music and arts and enough math/science for the future.

In johor. the next election, muslim fundamentalist take over and change the law, all their investment in johor will go down the drain.

fyi there are many ppl like hongkies and westerners that hold passports of a few countries. The world is their oyster and they don't need to stay stuck in 1 place. Btw many mudlanders don't want to be sinkies even though they study and work in sg.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In Spore someone famous has warned that voting for the opposition might turn your home into a slum.

I'm more likely to take that threat seriously than Malaysia turning into a fundamentalist state

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's got to do with land ownership rights, conveyancing laws and paternal lineage. A Thai man marrying a foreign woman in Thailand, their children would be considered Thai. A Thai woman marrying a foreign man in Thailand, their children would be considered foreign. No Thai lands must fall into foreign hands.

Thailand, though big and lands a-plenty, don't prostitute their lands and citizenships like Singapore do. They'd rather prostitute their women to con foreign men. :wink:

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

why would anyone wants to be a thai citizen ? having thai passport is good enough ..unless you will to drive a tuk tuk . by the way , a thai passport isn’t going to open any more gates than what you had with your singapore passports...unless you are doing some illegal business in your country and planning to run road if something happen :wink:

Last edited:

SibeiKing

Alfrescian
Loyal

Shut your eyes and try to envisage the world as 1 land mass. Just don't wake up too late that everyone else's 2 feet on it. yes. including your first world country's feet. :p

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

fyi there are many ppl like hongkies and westerners that hold passports of a few countries. The world is their oyster and they don't need to stay stuck in 1 place. Btw many mudlanders don't want to be sinkies even though they study and work in sg.

are you referring to hong kong actresses having hong kong passport and canadian passport. I salute them.

malaysian who dun want to be sinkies but study and work in singapore, they are very smart, we on the other hand have a lousy gov who allow this to carry on.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Shut your eyes and try to envisage the world as 1 land mass. Just don't wake up too late that everyone else's 2 feet on it. yes. including your first world country's feet. :p

a world citizen like bruce lee, i wish that is possible one day.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

why would anyone wants to be a thai citizen ? having thai passport is good enough ..unless you will to drive a tuk tuk . by the way , a thai passport isn’t going to open any more gates than what you had with your singapore passports...unless you are doing some illegal business in your country and planning to run road if something happen :wink:

I'm not sure about that. Even some white men from so called first world countries want to relocate and live in thailand. In any case i was curious about the double standard ram mentioned and got him to explain it.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's got to do with land ownership rights, conveyancing laws and paternal lineage. A Thai man marrying a foreign woman in Thailand, their children would be considered Thai. A Thai woman marrying a foreign man in Thailand, their children would be considered foreign. No Thai lands must fall into foreign hands.

Thailand, though big and lands a-plenty, don't prostitute their lands and citizenships like Singapore do. They'd rather prostitute their women to con foreign men. :wink:

That's cool man. Yes that makes sense. At least they have some pride in their country.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'm not sure about that. Even some white men from so called first world countries want to relocate and live in thailand. In any case i was curious about the double standard ram mentioned and got him to explain it.

imagine you are middle age amercian in USA, all the young gal dun want you, prostitution is expensive and police arrest you for soliciting.
Go to thailand, suddenly you are popular, young gal talk to you, prostitution is cheap, if i were them, i will leave USA to relocate in thailand too.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

imagine you are middle age amercian in USA, all the young gal dun want you, prostitution is expensive and police arrest you for soliciting.
Go to thailand, suddenly you are popular, young gal talk to you, prostitution is cheap, if i were them, i will leave USA to relocate in thailand too.

you so high crass you sure you'll go to a low crass place like thailand? :rolleyes: