• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi thanks for contributing bro...

Actually i wont want to live in a sinkie styled retirement village....because i would think most are coming to settle down in LOS to get away from sinkies not to live next to them again.
That said i would still like to have some like minded sinkie friends but not all....last time i was living in a village that had turned into a foreigners enclave due to the number of mia farang setting up home there. there were angmos, japs, taiwanese, malaysian, even a PRC....everyone got along well....i figured that as long as no one specified group had a big majority everyone tend to be more willing to blend in.....there were incidents where we foreigners actually stuck together as one.....so my conclusion from this experience is just like politics.....never let any group have a too big majority.....
Retiring in Thailand, I once had a diccussion group abt this, it had about 100 members, things like cost, food etc were discussed.
However there were no contributors except myself.
We were planning a retirement village like the Scandinavian village concept.
Golf trips, food, near the sea etc, however it was not easy to get the funds to build this retirement home.
i stayed in thailand for many years and the benefits of staying in Thailand are

Cheap housing , the condo i rented , small apartment is abt $200 per month
Can buy also , for abt 20,000, however why buy when the rental is so cheap
Food is also cheap, entertainment is good

Only down side if you have a family, the children need to go to school, international school is expensive, abt 20k per year.
I once attended the thai classses at the P.A and many people wanted to migrate to chengmai, nice place.
Bungalows can go as low as 1 million thai baht 40,000 sing dollars

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
on thing i noticed in thailand, the buddist culture, they dont kill people for money
they may trick or borrow money but they dont rob
this is due to the fact that they believe in Karma, and they believe in reincarnation
so chances of being robbed is slim, however chances of getting conned are high
There are various reasons on killings, financial, passion, jealousy, biz, politics, gangs, staring, police.

Though many Thais are Buddhist, there are still people who will kill for various reasons. Sad to say, the youths in LOS are getting increasing intolerant. Gang related killings are getting more common. In BKK, the rival polytechnic gang fights can be very big scale with casualty.

On getting conned, my thinking is if it's too good to be true, then it's not.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Actually i wont want to live in a sinkie styled retirement village....because i would think most are coming to settle down in LOS to get away from sinkies not to live next to them again.
That said i would still like to have some like minded sinkie friends but not all....last time i was living in a village that had turned into a foreigners enclave due to the number of mia farang setting up home there. there were angmos, japs, taiwanese, malaysian, even a PRC....everyone got along well....i figured that as long as no one specified group had a big majority everyone tend to be more willing to blend in.....there were incidents where we foreigners actually stuck together as one.....so my conclusion from this experience is just like politics.....never let any group have a too big majority.....
NW, well said. Any place with a large majority will turn away the minority. Remember I was looking for an apartment few years back in Jomtien. Didn't know it's a Russian territory until I visited the place. Even the provision/laundry/cafe at the ground floor are own by Russians. Didn't like the idea so move to my current apartment where the ratio of foreigners/Thais are more balance.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Sawasdee Krup Pii Terry1965.

In and around Bangkok I think the best course is Panya as I believe its the best maintained. 3 of my partners are members there and persuaded me to join so far not yet, cost only $15k last time I checked. Anyway because the area around this golf club is very nice with the gigantic Fashion Island Mall beside it I had recently bought a piece of land to build my house there. Its in a village next to the club.

Khon Kaen is in Isaan and can be very hot in April during Sonkrang water festival. So drink more water or get an extra caddy to carry your umbrella. Cheers.

Sawadee Krup

One thing forgot to mention the golf is good, there are abt 50 or more golf course in bkk, some are very cheap to play in.
My thai friend can get me good cheap rates, however many are about 1000 thai baht, some are more expensive
my favourite courses are Panya indra, watermill, some near sri racha, black canyon, so many good courses
I do go back to thailand to play 3 to 4 times a year, this year planning to play at Khon kean
however once one of my friend fainted at the golf course, it can get very hot in the afternoon

Last edited:

terry1965

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually there are many retirement villages in thailand, one of them is the scandinavian village. the concept is simple, in winter the scandinavians are very cold so they fly into thailand and avoid the cold weather in their country.we call them "snowbirds", these people have alot of funds, the are on pension scheme and for them to pay 2k per month is no problem. This village is in Bangsean, near pattaya but not too near, at a beach call bangsean
there are also many in chiangmai, there are many people on pension that can afford the fees of 1 to 2 k per month, the village concept ;will be buses to golf courses, lodging without too many steps to climb, in house nurse, shops and restaurents to make money and self sustain the village.

i met alot of japanese in thailand and they too dont like the cold, as you know alot of reumatism , so "hong" , many japanese companies in thailand , as they are the top investor with Toyota, nissan, mitsubishi etc, all car manufacturers here in thailand. the japanese dont like to return to their own country , due to stress and the cold weather, some choose to stay once they retire .
However , I did not continue with this, as there was no venture capatalist to fund this type of retire home.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sawasdee Krup Pii Terry1965.

In and around Bangkok I think the best course is Panya as I believe its the best maintained. 3 of my partners are members there and persuaded me to join so far not yet, cost only $15k last time I checked. Anyway because the area around this golf club is very nice with the gigantic Fashion Island Mall beside it I had recently bought a piece of land to build my house there. Its in a village next to the club.

Khon Kaen is in Isaan and can be very hot in April during Sonkrang water festival. So drink more water or get an extra caddy to carry your umbrella. Cheers.
Panya Assistant chio bo? gf is taking up this sport but not for me because of my back. Maybe I come to BKK recce the place for her first. :smile:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Saw this 'lau he lo' (old hero) restored Vespa at the car park. Very long never hear the 'rong tong tong' sound from old vespa.

P1000413.JPG

P1000414.JPG

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Panya Assistant chio bo? gf is taking up this sport but not for me because of my back. Maybe I come to BKK recce the place for her first. :smile:

Panya lady selling membership is very very suay-mak-mak she is not those silly young girl type but rather mature and "know-what-I-want" type. She is still single but seeing her drive a Teana for sure have supporter la. Go have a look. Call me if you come.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very very suay-mak-mak she is not those silly young girl type but rather mature and "know-what-I-want" type. She is still single but seeing her drive a Teana for sure have supporter la. Go have a look. .
Your intel's tempting (syts also out of my league). Maybe chonburifc tempted for hole in 1 comeback??

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Panya lady selling membership is very very suay-mak-mak she is not those silly young girl type but rather mature and "know-what-I-want" type. She is still single but seeing her drive a Teana for sure have supporter la. Go have a look. Call me if you come.
Golf courses ladies all got supporters. To get a job as caddy or even as sales in proshop you need 'connections'.

Last edited:

terry1965

Alfrescian
Loyal
Golf courses ladies all got supporters. To get a job as caddy or even as sales in proshop you need 'connections'.

For Panya Indra there are many caddies suay mak mak, the mamasan of the caddies can let you choose caddies. alot of them uni undergrads, so are pretty , that is why the course is popular. my japanese customer always chooses his caddy, some of the caddies know him very well.
some of the golf courses wanted to replace the caddies ,with younger ones , however there was alot of protest.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I love playing golf especially the 19th hole.:biggrin:

Who doesn't groober2011, always looking forward to that after the 18th.

How true Narong. In fact some golf courses also select by looks. Shucks this is s sport la why worry about looks. (I'm lying of course, LOL)

Mangkon

Hi
I had read your post on getting people whom who wants to retire in Thailand. And I think that its a good move. I would be interested to meet or have a brief conversation with you, that is if you are interested regarding your idea. You can email me at : [email protected] if you like. Thanks

Regards,
Mangkon :smile:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Your intel's tempting (syts also out of my league). Maybe chonburifc tempted for hole in 1 comeback??

Hehehe. Looks like I am missing a lot of things at the golf clubs.Hehehe. Anyway, syt a little difficult to communicate, perhaps generation gap. Don't understand their lingo. Personal preference is those 'slightly more mature ladies with power', especially those in uniforms. :smile:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually there are many retirement villages in thailand, one of them is the scandinavian village. the concept is simple, in winter the scandinavians are very cold so they fly into thailand and avoid the cold weather in their country.we call them "snowbirds", these people have alot of funds, the are on pension scheme and for them to pay 2k per month is no problem. This village is in Bangsean, near pattaya but not too near, at a beach call bangsean
there are also many in chiangmai, there are many people on pension that can afford the fees of 1 to 2 k per month, the village concept ;will be buses to golf courses, lodging without too many steps to climb, in house nurse, shops and restaurents to make money and self sustain the village.

i met alot of japanese in thailand and they too dont like the cold, as you know alot of reumatism , so "hong" , many japanese companies in thailand , as they are the top investor with Toyota, nissan, mitsubishi etc, all car manufacturers here in thailand. the japanese dont like to return to their own country , due to stress and the cold weather, some choose to stay once they retire .
However , I did not continue with this, as there was no venture capatalist to fund this type of retire home.
There is a very big Nordic Village in Pattaya/Jomtien. It consists of houses, condos and shops. They even own a few private roads. However, not all the residents are from the Nordic countries.

Yes, the Japanese prefer the Sri Racha/Bang Saen districts. Main reason is because there are many Japanese factories in Sri Racha and also the Japanese don't really like the Ang Moh dominated Pattaya. Even in Pattaya, the Japanese stick to only a few lesser Ang Moh presence entertainment outlets.

Was in Bang Saen/Sri Racha/Chonburi to buy some building materials and here's some pics. There is even one Japanese shop buying/selling used/new golf products. They don't even bother to display their shop in other languages. Also a scenery on my way back to Pattaya and some stalls selling local goods (OTOP).

P1000432.JPG
P1000443.JPG
P1000425.JPG

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand ? Feasible?

Not returning to LOS anytime yet.
Don't let this Ninja wait for you for too long. :wink:

P1000416.JPG

Saw this Ninja outside my shop and found out from my staff that it belongs to my customer. See how pathetic my scoopy is parking next to a Ninja.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal

Don't let this Ninja wait for you for too long. :wink:

View attachment 3512

Saw this Ninja outside my shop and found out from my staff that it belongs to my customer. See how pathetic my scoopy is parking next to a Ninja.

Ninja is 10 years old liao. Old design and old technology. The Honda CBR 250R is all-new technology built from scratch.

02.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Kawasaki Ninja is legendary . . . . . Kawasaki builds Shinkansen trains

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Sorry guys I need to retire early. Just came back from 3 bottles of red lunch, ya long lunch. Pissed liao, sawasdee krup.