• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
@YinYang

On the bus to HH now. What are must sees and must eats?

Coincidentally was at Tawandaeng too 2 days ago but the one at Ramintra.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
@YinYang

On the bus to HH now. What are must sees and must eats?

Coincidentally was at Tawandaeng too 2 days ago but the one at Ramintra.

Jeez Ramintra is just a stone throw away from my place. By the way any plan for Pattaya this weekend?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On the bus to HH now. What are must sees and must eats? .
If weekend (fri-sun) everybody hits the Cicada night market. Really different from downtown's daily night market, as there are interesting arts and handicrafts, live music garden and small auditorium.

http://www.cicadamarket.com/

Next to it it is the more 'local' Tamarind market. More for eats with an open air acoustic stage. No need for coupons unlike Cicada next door. The ribs were from an interesting mobile food van.

https://www.facebook.com/Tamarind-Market-1019690768108640/

There are 2 main malls, new BluePort and older Market Village. I personally liked Blueport as not crowded with lotsa eats choices and interesting food court.

HHin is a very lepak kinda place, with most residents more of the retiree farang types. Go visit the famous iconic old train station

http://www.tourismhuahin.com/railway-station-huahin.php

If you are into sights, there's the 7 Kings Rajabhakti park 10kms outside HH, with controversy on money gone astray

https://www.renown-travel.com/daytripshuahin/7kings.html

Sorry I just logged in.

Ps: If you looking for a chill place for a beer with some jazz pop music, go to La Birra opp. Cicada. Saw some pretty patrons hanging out

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Rest...Hin-Hua_Hin_Prachuap_Khiri_Khan_Province.html

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Roti, if you looking for a good digs to stay, look no further than this arty boutique (next to La Birra bar) Norndee. Weekdays can be had for 1350bt, weekends up 2100. Not the Ritz, but good value for me as repeat guest. Good style bfast as with pics posted here previously. Ask reception manager Nutty for food/drink discount coupon if you staying over. Be forewarned you get ear plugs for music next door La Birra (same owner?) which stops at midnight

http://www.norndeehuahin.com/

Sanuk:p

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Damn have not been to LOS for some time. Hoping to go down to phuket. 200 bht fare no matter which part of patong beach you are to go to another part.

Still remember that time me and 2 portugese and 2 iranians shared a cab from phuket town to patong beach the cab driver was pissed cos we shared the fare 100 bht each = 500 bht total he didn't like it he wanted like 200 bht from each of us he started scolding the iranian guy cos i think he lied to him about the fare like if there's more ppl the fare increases so he started scolding then the iranian guy said ok ok fuck you then he left and i walked with them towards jungceylon mall. Pretty cool.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jeez Ramintra is just a stone throw away from my place. By the way any plan for Pattaya this weekend?

Getting to Ramintra area always seems a challenge unless late at night. I later went to Creek and Saengjan - you may know them too. I'm leaving this weekend unfortunately

Muthukali

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Holy crap you resident there now? Hope to go there soon but bloody raining season now not worth right?

No la, joke la. but it's really a nice place to laid back for months. Usually June to Aug rain come and go, u know best la. but cheap cheap and also lesser Farang. Hey btw hows Chon?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Getting to Ramintra area always seems a challenge unless late at night. I later went to Creek and Saengjan - you may know them too. I'm leaving this weekend unfortunately

Another time then. Have a safe trip in HH and back. Enjoy.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
No la, joke la. but it's really a nice place to laid back for months. Usually June to Aug rain come and go, u know best la. but cheap cheap and also lesser Farang. Hey btw hows Chon?

He is ok, just messaged him today, will see him this weekend.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..nice place to laid back for months. Usually June to Aug rain come and go, Hey btw hows Chon?
Darn, you nearly had us there. Thought you became a beach bum or recluse :p

Saw Chon near 2 weeks ago. He's looking good, and we had more than a few pints at my this favourite place Ko La Fan with raw Thai live country music. Very local joint, whole place wooden bannok structure. Away from the neon lights and sleaze :biggrin:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cant stop the Baht?
ECONOMY
Firms jittery as baht keeps rising

• Bangkok Post Published: 7/06/2017 at 04:00 AM
The Thai business sector has voiced concern that the rapid gain of the baht will take a toll on exports, causing the economic recovery to falter, says the Thai Chamber of Commerce (TCC).
Chairman Kalin Sarasin said the business sector wants the Bank of Thailand to monitor baht movement closely to ensure it is ready to curb appreciation if needed.
2346931.jpg

"The baht is rising very fast and we want to ask the central bank to have some measures ready to help stabilise the currency, particularly to support small and medium-sized enterprises [SMEs]," said Mr Kalin.
He also urged SMEs to use currency hedging to help reduce risks incurred by baht fluctuation.

The baht edged up to 33.94 to the dollar Tuesday, marking its highest point in nearly two years, on investor relief after the central bank did not introduce stricter measures to curb its strength. The local currency is one of the best-performing currencies in the region this year, rising about 5% against the greenback.

The Bank of Thailand in April imposed a measure to scale back short-dated bond sales in an effort to lower short-term fund inflows, which are strengthening the baht. The measure is still in place. In another development, the Joint Standing Committee on Commerce, Industry and Banking (JSCCIB) reported the Thai economy grew 3.3% in the first quarter this year, said Mr Kalin.

He attributed the rise to increasing exports. The JSCCIB maintained its Thai GDP growth forecast at 3.5-4.0% and export growth outlook at 2.0-3.5% this year. The JSCCIB is comprised of the TCC, the Federation of Thai Industries and the Thai Bankers' Association.

Mr Kalin said the JSCCIB expects the Thai economy will continue to grow in the second half of the year largely because of the government's massive investment in infrastructure projects, particularly in the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC).

The EEC project spans more than 30,000 rai in the three eastern provinces of Rayong, Chon Buri and Chachoengsao. It was designed to accommodate new investment in targeted industries with added value to help push the economy towards the Thailand 4.0 era.
2346935.jpg

Ghanyapad Tantipipatpong, chairwoman of the Thai National Shippers' Council, said many exporters are concerned the strong baht will affect their competitiveness.

"We're concerned the capital inflows are for short-term gains, as we don't know the exact purpose of the incoming capital. If the capital is to invest in the real sector for the long term, there will be no harm," she said.
In related news, Bank of Ayudhya on Tuesday raised its baht forecast average by one baht to 34.50 at the end of the year from 35.50 previously because of greater uncertainties, particularly in US policy, said Tak Bunnag, head of global markets group.

US President Donald Trump's policy uncertainty has increased the market's disappointment and weakened the dollar, he said. The baht has gained 5.3% against the dollar this year, following South Korea's won appreciating 7.9% and Taiwan's dollar increasing 7.2%.

Markets now forecast the US Federal Reserve will raise its policy rate twice more this year and the gap between the Federal fund rate and the Bank of Thailand's policy rate will be narrowed, said Mr Tak.

Last edited:

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
To all Thai regulars here, I was watching youtube videos on thailand and come across videos on Chiangmai.

It seems like a popular spot for tourists. It is very affordable and less busy. What do you guys think?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...watching youtube videos on thailand and come across videos on Chiangmai. It seems like a popular spot for tourists. It is very affordable and less busy.
CNX is a refreshing change from chaotic metropolis Bkk and the likes of busy Phuket or Pattaya. The distinct Lanna culture, cool climate and relaxing lifestyle are the main draws. Yet assessible with direct flights elsewhere. Was a frequent visitor up north, some years back.

You might be interested to explore more here:

http://www.1stopchiangmai.com/

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
CNX is a refreshing change from chaotic metropolis Bkk and the likes of busy Phuket or Pattaya. The distinct Lanna culture, cool climate and relaxing lifestyle are the main draws. Yet assessible with direct flights elsewhere. Was a frequent visitor up north, some years back.

You might be interested to explore more here:

http://www.1stopchiangmai.com/

Hey, Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To all Thai regulars here, I was watching youtube videos on thailand and come across videos on Chiangmai.

It seems like a popular spot for tourists. It is very affordable and less busy. What do you guys think?

Haven't visited the place yet but best to avoid the place during the burning season which seems to be around feb & march.