• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Glad to know that you're the happiest person living in JB, I'll be happy to be the 2nd happiest in future :biggrin:

An article to share. In Singapore, you need to earn about $10k a month to be very happy, and please don't be a lawyer. Soon to retired people who are the most unhappy people in Singapore are worried about cost of retirement. Iskandar will continue to bloom.

Why Singaporeans' happiness can be bought by money
BY JARRAD BROWN
Published: 23 Oct 13
- See more at: http://sbr.com.sg/financial-service...ness-can-be-bought-money#sthash.FAF6H5QI.dpuf

For many, many years there have been studies conducted on the empirical relationship between money and happiness and a conclusive answer has not yet been widely accepted. I have therefore highlighted below firstly the empirical evidence to support the theory that money does in fact buy happiness. Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, I have highlighted the steps you can take to ensure happiness in your own life.

Money and Happiness – Previous Research

Most economic research has always pointed to a satiation point, beyond which people do not become happier by having more money. This amount is typically enough to cover basic costs plus some freedom within discretionary spending. The amount therefore will of course differ between countries.

Some surveys have highlighted the complete opposite with a 2007 Gallop poll that was conducted showing that just 35% of people earning less than US $35,000 were ‘Very Happy’ whilst 100% of those earning over US $500,000 stated that they were ‘Very Happy’.

Then there is the well-known research conducted by world-famous economist and Nobel-prize winner Daniel Kahneman which pointed to happiness levels starting to level off at approximately US $75,000 per annum. This was enough to cover basic costs and cover some degree of discretionary spending.

This research points largely to one thing…there is NO clear answer at all as to what level of income people must earn to be happy.

Singapore Happiness Survey

There has been a recent survey conducted this year (2013) by JobsCentral Group highlighting the level of happiness amongst the general population here in Singapore. There were some key and quite alarming statistics that were revealed including:

- In 2009 (Global Financial Crisis), the happiness rating was 56.4

o It is currently only 57.9

- S$10,000 per month was stated to be the magic happiness income level

- Lawyers are amongst the unhappiest within the sample population

- Those aged between 51 – 60 years old were the UNHAPPIEST with a score of 55.5 which has dropped 12% since 2009

I have highlighted the last finding from the survey because I believe it is the most important. This illustrates that those about to enter retirement and starting to think about the income they will have to live off are the UNHAPPIEST population group. There are many reasons for this including the wake-up call that retirement is close, a review of the current investment performance, review of their CPF and other retirement accounts, a realisation of the income level they will have to live off.

The key reason is my opinion that is driving this unhappiness is the UNCERTAINTY that has been created by global markets and the economy which is impacting the retirement options for this particular demographic.

It is my belief that the income level itself it not the key driver behind happiness, but it is rather the certainty that this income level can create for the individual by building passive income streams and a safe/comfortable retirement.

The PROOF

Studies conducted in the US around the time of the global financial crisis support the hypothesis that periods of high uncertainty lead to the greatest levels of unhappiness. From January 2008 to November 2008 the happiness score fell 11%. As confidence was restored and the market appeared to be bottoming out, the confidence level climbed 15% quickly within 3 months. The real income levels have dropped from the pre-GFC levels however happiness levels were able to be restored to previous levels quickly.

What should YOU do…?

PLAN…PLAN…PLAN!

The greatest strategy to avoid uncertainty is to have clear plans in place to ensure you are in the best possible financial position. The 5-P rule illustrates this well:

Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance (PPPPP)

Whether you are 25 or 55 or any other age, the greatest step you can take to ensure that you are not part of this unhappy 51-60yo demographic in the future is to plan for your retirement today. Set out your plan to achieve your retirement goals and this certainty will ensure that you lead a much happier life.

Your money will then in fact, lead to your happiness.

The views expressed in this column are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect this publication's view, and this article is not edited by Singapore Business Review. The author was not remunerated for this article.

- See more at: http://sbr.com.sg/financial-service...ness-can-be-bought-money#sthash.FAF6H5QI.dpuf

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
"175.. blah blah.

Demikianlah pembentangan Bajet Negeri Johor 2014. Saya mohon mencadangkan."

Closing words: "Thus (mr speaker) (i have) tabled the Johor state budget 2014. I request to propose (the budget)."

so it is a tabling of the state budget, and is a proposal. but most likely will go through. a lot of jb locals are for strict anti foreigner measures esp hot potato like housing.

(edited... delete) some points: 220m for beautification of sg segget and surrounding , and improvement of bus services.
a whole paragraph for 'attracting more institutes of higher learning' to come to iskandar, no specific budget allocation.?
support to upgrade pasir gudang hiway to 6 lane
focus on RAPID in pengerang
20M to develop mersing
broadband upgrading - to TM.
double tracking rail gemas to jb
no mention of rts,hsr again.

Thanks. No mention of Medini exemption?

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suppose new terraces/clusters under $1 mil RM will be wiped clean. There are still many Singaporeans out there hoping to own a landed property in their life-time.

without DIBS and the greater LTV requirement, expect some home buyers to return to secondary market - which is good for you. :smile:
in my case at least, if not for the DIBS i think i would have been more inclined to get a subsale instead of off plan from developer

Last edited:

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
not as far as i could manage to plough through all the mehh "for the betterment of rakyat" rhetoric, nope. (there were 175 paragraphs, and my malay is rusty.)

If I am not wrong, he was quoted that he had written to Putrajaya for exemption. I suppose it is not approved yet, so no mention.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
without DIBS and the greater LTV requirement, expect some home buyers to return to secondary market - which is good for you. :smile:
in my case at least, if not for the DIBS i think i would have been more inclined to get a subsale instead of off plan from developer

I'm not thinking of selling. I believe landed will chase the $1 mil RM mark, as Singapore gets more crowded and more expensive, and Johor gains from the spill-over effect. The high networth foreigners are coming to Singapore. The lower to middle income will be gradually displaced from Singapore. I expect more middle income to have a weekend or retirement house in Johor. I will hold it empty or rent out.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I am not wrong, he was quoted that he had written to Putrajaya for exemption. I suppose it is not approved yet, so no mention.

you're not wrong, but it was the IRDA chairman who wrote in. not the MB. maybe MB was too busy admiring the view of the straits from his multi million RM banglo perched on top of the hill in front of istana bukit serene.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not thinking of selling. I believe landed will chase the $1 mil RM mark, as Singapore gets more crowded and more expensive, and Johor gains from the spill-over effect. The high networth foreigners are coming to Singapore. The lower to middle income will be gradually displaced from Singapore. I expect more middle income to have a weekend or retirement house in Johor. I will hold it empty or rent out.

even if not selling, it is not nice to know that your 'international lot' has automatically been converted to 'local lot' with the stroke of a dummy's pen.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
even if not selling, it is not nice to know that your 'international lot' has automatically been converted to 'local lot' with the stroke of a dummy's pen.

Let's c how it goes. I started off with v little intention to sell. Buying for capital appreciation n as a hobby. People buy art n watches I buy property loh.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's c how it goes. I started off with v little intention to sell. Buying for capital appreciation n as a hobby. People buy art n watches I buy property loh.

Just like you, I collect them just like arts for appreciation. Good hobby.
Funnily I had never sold any property before. I still have a low cost 2 storey house 14 ft x 55 ft which I bought in 1985 for RM45k in Taman Sri muda, Shah Alam. Stayed there for 3 years and rented it out ever since for RM550 per mth.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is always better to buy what you see is what you get. The trend in JB will follow those in KL. Security and good neighbourhood would be the main considerations. Problem is subsale old properties do not have the proper G&G facilities. The fencing is mostly those chain link fence with oil drums cum security posts. Foreigners would look out for a purpose built security room and management (not bangla type of guards - sorry no offending anyone) brick perimeter walls, fiber optic ready type infra.
Therefore new subsale properties are better. Time to be choosy.

angmokio

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is always better to buy what you see is what you get. The trend in JB will follow those in KL. Security and good neighbourhood would be the main considerations. Problem is subsale old properties do not have the proper G&G facilities. The fencing is mostly those chain link fence with oil drums cum security posts. Foreigners would look out for a purpose built security room and management (not bangla type of guards - sorry no offending anyone) brick perimeter walls, fiber optic ready type infra.
Therefore new subsale properties are better. Time to be choosy.

very well said

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
An article to share. In Singapore, you need to earn about $10k a month to be very happy, and please don't be a lawyer.

Well, I think a min household income of S$10k is needed, for the future SG pool of Iskandar home buyers, given the high threshold of RM 1m & 2% processing fee.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

A Propnex agent was quoted as saying one can consider buying properties as a form of forced savings. Haha.... That said, I don't intend to sell off any Singapore properties. For MY, depending on price & opportunities, I cant say the same though.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Buy properties as hobby? Bro, that's a "disgusting" hobby.:wink: I buy one landed property far less than RM1 million I already sweat seeing all the outlays required to get it suitable for living in....for an average Singaporean earning an average income.

kawan2sgmy

Alfrescian
Loyal
This has got to be the best investment - 14.5%. Very little cash outlay! Keep it for long term cash cow.

Just like you, I collect them just like arts for appreciation. Good hobby.
Funnily I had never sold any property before. I still have a low cost 2 storey house 14 ft x 55 ft which I bought in 1985 for RM45k in Taman Sri muda, Shah Alam. Stayed there for 3 years and rented it out ever since for RM550 per mth.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
A Propnex agent was quoted as saying one can consider buying properties as a form of forced savings. Haha.... That said, I don't intend to sell off any Singapore properties. For MY, depending on price & opportunities, I cant say the same though.

Johor landed not good to sell. The odd is stack heavily in favor of landed in Johor. They will continue to appreciate.

kawan2sgmy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just wondering, how are the condo developers reaction to this new ruling? They can't possibly pull out becos contracts have been signed and $ has been dumped into these projects. I guess really bad scenario. RM1 mil may not be so affordable to some, but if 500K maybe still can consider.

Further slowdown seen in Malaysia property market

As for the new price threshold of RM1 million for foreign buyers, Rahim & Co reckoned the impact of the hike was "not major".

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/pre...owdown-seen-malaysia-property-market-20131108