• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FT means lower Standards

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Straits Times Forum, 21 Dec 2011
Be reasonable, like commuters elsewhere
I HAVE lived in many countries, and in Singapore for over 10 years.
Having observed the social media scene this year, I wonder whether citizens know what an awesome country Singapore is, the credit for which is largely attributable to the forward-thinking leadership that nurtures diversity and economic growth and a disciplined democracy.
Consider the ongoing debates and media coverage about the three MRT disruptions last week. In an ideal world, everything would be perfect. Doubtless, things can be improved. However, reacting to a few incidents with overwhelming angst, calling for SMRT chief executive officer Saw Phaik Hwa to resign or asking for free rides in compensation seem ludicrous. Train service disruptions are common in London and do not trigger resignations or refunds.
Last week’s multiple disruptions are not a big deal in developed countries elsewhere where commuters take it in their stride. By contrast, the deluge of public anger here over a similar spate of disruptions reveals a lack of awareness of life in other countries. It reveals an unconstructive attitude of looking for an opportunity to attack the Government and associated organisations to prove that these entities are under-performing.
Flip the story and consider Singapore as a nation and what its Government has achieved. Singapore has by far a well-connected transport network, not unlike London and New York city, which the public feel reasonably comfortable to use.
With the growth in infrastructure reach, disruptions ought to be expected. No doubt, business continuity planning, especially for public services, ought to be highly reliable and the multiple train disruptions have given SMRT a chance to assess and plan improvements.
I feel confident in stating – by taking the past as a predictor of the future – that by the same time next year, SMRT’s service reliability would have increased. Life is a testimonial to the fact that the best of plans fails. We must go through the bumps and enjoy the good days.
The key to a proud citizenry is to have a reasonable sense of awareness and an attitude to progress from adversity. Being demanding of a government is absolutely reasonable and choosing to be constructively demanding over constantly criticising is worth considering and beneficial.
Anju Tiwari (Ms)

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=2][/h]

Dear Straits Times,

I refer to the 21 Dec 2011 letter by Ms Anju Tiwari.

Having lived in many countries, Ms Tiwari wonders if Singaporeans know that they live in an awesome country. Perhaps Ms Tiwari has been living mostly in Third World countries, which is why a First World country like Singapore appears awesome to her.
Ms Tiwari credits forward thinking leadership for nurturing Singapore’s diversity and economic growth. Is Ms Tiwari crediting Sir Stamford Raffles’ forward thinking in founding Singapore? Is Ms Tiwari paying tribute to our early colonial masters whose import of Sepoys from India and coolies from China became the basis of our diversity today? Is Ms Tiwari crediting Dr Albert Winsemius for gifting Singapore with the export strategy that would become the basis of our economic growth?
Ms Tiwari thinks it is ludicrous to ask SMRT CEO to resign or to ask for free rides in compensation for disrupted rides. Ms Tiwari must have never lived in First World countries where CEOs take responsibility for mistakes by resigning without being asked to.
Ms Tiwari doesn’t seem to understand that train disruptions in London is not a big deal and do not trigger resignations because the government in London doesn’t make a big deal out of trains and doesn’t boast ever so often of having the best or one of the best trains in the world. On the other hand, Ms Tiwari should understand that train disruptions in Singapore is a big deal because the Singapore government makes a big deal out of trains and boasts ever so often of having the best or one of the best trains in the world.
Ms Tiwari blames the public of looking for an opportunity to attack the government and prove its under-performance. Ms Tiwari should understand that every opportunity to critique the government balances every opportunity for the government to self-praise.
Ms Tiwari wants Singaporeans to consider what the government has achieved as though we the citizens played no part in those achievements.
Ms Tiwari wants Singaporeans to expect disruptions given infrastructure growth without realising that such massive disruptions if extrapolated to the scale of London’s or New York’s train systems would have crippled those systems.
Ms Tiwari is confident service reliability would have increased next year and expects us to bear with service unreliability for a year.
Ms Tiwari sprouts such rhetoric as the best plans in life fails as though she knows that SMRT plans that have resulted in recent train failures is the best yet.
Ms Tiwari shares with us the key to proud citizenry as having reasonable sense of awareness as though telling us we can always stand tall and proud so long as we find some other country worse off to compare with.
Ms Tiwari encourages us to be constructively demanding rather than constantly criticising. Ms Tiwari should note that if every Singaporean criticises, there will be three million criticisms. Thus, three million criticisms may seem like constant criticism but is not. Don’t forget, we must also factor in criticisms from tourists too such as the one from Mr Byron E Barrett (ST Forum, 21 Dec 2011, “Notes from an American tourist”).
Thank you.
Ng Kok Lim

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ng Kok Lim was spot on with his reply. To an Indian, a PRC Chinese and a Pinoy, Singapore is everything that their country will never be. To a Singaporean we aspire to first world standard. Few Singaporeans will aspire to settle down in India, China and the Philippines. On the other hand if given the opportunity, they will want to head to the West so their kids can have a shot for a brighter future.

bullfrog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ng Kok Lim is fantastic. Always sharp and incisive upturning her every phrase. We should have such people as Opposition MPs.

With standards by this bitch, Singapore will quickly become like her own racial origin - slummy, dirty, corrupted, low standards, fragmented, NATO..

Foreign talents think that our standards should be lower. If we let more like her in, standards will fall, and we will surely go the way of Mumbai or New Delhi.

Last edited:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha...i read the reply a few times and i am still scratching my head what is the big deal.......
seems like i am not only kuku but my power of comprehesion has gone to the dogs also.......

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha...i read the reply a few times and i am still scratching my head what is the big deal.......
seems like i am not only kuku but my power of comprehesion has gone to the dogs also.......

Me too. But still can catch some balls. :smile: NgKL argued well. While they jack up prices to justify the need to upkeep and maintain the self-inflated world's best system, the consumers have the right to KPKB and complain what they were preached was not what they got. People KPKB is to keep the system and govt on toes so that they will not slip back to complacency. Bluddy writer must be FT. She forgot she together with her countrymen here cannot escape from the responsibility of overcrowding our trains, and subject them to faster wear and tear as a result of having to re-adjust schedule to make more frequent trips. They silently erode our physical resources on one hand, and on the other hand, regress our culture mentality back to theirs. Ker Blankang Puseng.

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if we always look behind, we will never improve.

thats what PAP leaders tell us, but they never seem to do it.

bullfrog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed with NKL. The PAP has always boasted that only they can save Singapore, and govern SGP. Recall how often they remind you of sub-std teams in our neighbours and how their countries fucked up? How often PAP tells us we need them as extra-ordinary team to run the place and pay out of the world pays?

So, how can pay bombs and yet get monkeys? I throw together 5 monkeys I still think they can figure out hopw to run SMRT better than that siow char bor.

Me too. But still can catch some balls. :smile: NgKL argued well. While they jack up prices to justify the need to upkeep and maintain the self-inflated world's best system, the consumers have the right to KPKB and complain what they were preached was not what they got. People KPKB is to keep the system and govt on toes so that they will not slip back to complacency. Bluddy writer must be FT. She forgot she together with her countrymen here cannot escape from the responsibility of overcrowding our trains, and subject them to faster wear and tear as a result of having to re-adjust schedule to make more frequent trips. They silently erode our physical resources on one hand, and on the other hand, regress our culture mentality back to theirs. Ker Blankang Puseng.

RandomMonkey

Alfrescian
Loyal
The trouble with SMRT is that it is a monopoly. There is no incentive to be efficient. To maximise profits, there is no need to be efficient.

You could put a 6-year old in charge of SMRT and it would still be profitable.