• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Must queue up overnite & buy] WW2 translator releases new book on multilingualism!!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lee Kuan Yew launches new book on bilingualism journey
AsiaOne
Sunday, Nov 20, 2011

20111120.161202_lky430.jpg

SINGAPORE - A new book by Mr Lee Kuan Yew, titled "My Lifelong Challenge: Singapore's Bilingual Journey", is to be launched on Nov 28 at the Singapore Conference Hall.

The book recounts the story of Mr Lee's 50-year struggle to transform Singapore from a polyglot former British colony into a nation where everyone knows English and at least one other language.

The founding prime minister of Singapore reveals not only his motivations behind the many policy adjustments he made, such as doing away with vernacular schools, but also his own struggle to learn the Chinese language and reclaim his heritage.

The book consists of two parts. The second part features essays by Singaporeans on their individual linguistic journeys, and includes renowned names such as Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, pop star Stefanie Sun, and American-born billionaire investor Jim Rogers, who chose to live in Singapore so that his daughters can receive a bilingual education.

The book comes in a 400-page Chinese edition and a 388-page English one, published by Lianhe Zaobao and The Straits Times Press respectively.

This was the decision of Mr Lee, who felt that two separate language editions instead of a translation of a single work would allow for variations which would speak to the two readerships better, said Mr Robin Hu, Senior Executive Vice-President of Singapore Press Holdings' Chinese Newspapers and Newspaper Services divisions and head of the editorial committee that worked closely with Mr Lee.

The book has received rave reviews from both foreign and local luminaries, with former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger saying that the book offers "valuable insights for many countries struggling to absorb an unprecedented flood of new immigrants."

Dominic Barton, global managing director of McKinsey & Company, said the book "comes at an important time for Singapore, which continues to rigorously examine its language policies as it sets a course for its next stage of development."

Each copy of the book comes with a DVD of extracts from relevant speeches made by Mr Lee - in English, Mandarin, Hokkien and Malay - over the past 50 years.

Both editions of the book will be available at leading bookstores at $39.90 per copy, inclusive of GST, from 5pm on the day of the launch. The book can also be purchased online from Straits Times Press Online Bookstore at www.stpressbooks.com.sg on the same day and time.

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: [Must queue up overnite & buy] WW2 translator releases new book on multilingualis

Arrrh....another boring masterpiece!

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: [Must queue up overnite & buy] WW2 translator releases new book on multilingualis

wah lan...its a new way to make more $$ is it?

his other biographies / books, both versions sama...now got Chinese & English versions??

those sarpokers will buy 2 ....

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal

I hope there is a signature version like his last book The Hard Truth, I sure book 10 copies this time. Regretted I only bought 1 $10k copy for the hard truth book, a angmoh want to collect from be for $50k, i told him no $100k no sell

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I hope there is a signature version like his last book The Hard Truth, I sure book 10 copies this time. Regretted I only bought 1 $10k copy for the hard truth book, a angmoh want to collect from be for $50k, i told him no $100k no sell

$100k? You kidding right? Don't have $1million offer, don't even bother replying to enquiries!

Collectors' item! Rank up there with Martin Luther's original New testament.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Both editions of the book will be available at leading bookstores at $39.90 per copy, inclusive of GST, from 5pm on the day of the launch

For 40 bucks, I can get myself a few bottles of Heineken, a pack of ciggies, a hot plate of Char Kway Teow, few pieces of BBQ Chicken Wings, a plate of carrot cake and enjoy the feast at my kopitiam while watching a BPL match on a TV there.. Its money well spent rather than buying a book full of crap praising that Old Fart...

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

prolly in years to come, this will be one of the textbooks for civic education for all school children, together with his biographies & Hard truths.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I can't wait to get my paws on this book! I hope he writes about Nantah's annexation and the lowering of chinese language standard in schools from the 60s to 80s!

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I can't wait to get my paws on this book! I hope he writes about Nantah's annexation and the lowering of chinese language standard in schools from the 60s to 80s!

aiyah...he is paranoid about the breeding of communist sympathizers in Nantah.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

aiyah...he is paranoid about the breeding of communist sympathizers in Nantah.

No leh... people all say Nantah is irrelevant in the modern economy... that's why bo seng li toh tnio.

But hor, if you go to Mudlaysia, the Nantah alumni there is one of the biggest, wealthiest and most powerful associations today. The elite chinese schools are funded mainly by the alumni today without any Mudlaysian government money.

jw5

Loyal

Oooooh, I can hardly wait....................... :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No leh... people all say Nantah is irrelevant in the modern economy... that's why bo seng li toh tnio.

But hor, if you go to Mudlaysia, the Nantah alumni there is one of the biggest, wealthiest and most powerful associations today. The elite chinese schools are funded mainly by the alumni today without any Mudlaysian government money.

Irrelevant because it is a beacon for Chinese education?

Whilst I may not agree with LKY for all the policies, I think to unify the education under English instruction is important. Rather like Mudland / Hong Kong with chinese / English instruction, you will create layering in the society - with Chinese split into groups of Chinese & English-ed.

And with time (with increasing Western influence), the Chinese-ed schools will face decline.

the flip side or the failure of this education system - besides creating square students - is the apparent abandoning of Chinese lang - to become potatos of today. But there is a sizeable group of people who is well versed in both language.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

A nazist is a nazist. Even the title of his book has the same meaning as Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler.

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lee Kuan Yew launches new book on bilingualism journey
AsiaOne
Sunday, Nov 20, 2011

20111120.161202_lky430.jpg

SINGAPORE - A new book by Mr Lee Kuan Yew, titled "My Lifelong Challenge: Singapore's Bilingual Journey", is to be launched on Nov 28 at the Singapore Conference Hall.

And I thought his son, Lee Hsien Loong, said that only former U.S. presidents are involved in writing books and lecture tours after they stepped down.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/sing...grading-pay-less-tax-20110405-231901-526.html

"PM Lee explains ministerial salaries

The contentious issue of ministerial salaries was also discussed at the forum after a Nanyang Technological University (NTU) accountancy student brought it up, comparing the salaries of leaders from Singapore and the United States.

"The US president is actually paid less than a Cabinet minister in Singapore. I'm sure we agree his job is a lot tougher than our Cabinet ministers," said the student.

In his response, PM Lee said that US President Barack Obama may be earning less than a Singaporean minister, but the American system is not without its flaws.

For example, he highlighted that the US had different ways of rewarding its presidents and that the low salary of the president had suppressed salaries down the line.

Explaining his first point, PM Lee said that former US presidents are involved in money-spinning book and lecture tours after they step down.

"Retired US presidents go on book tours, they write books, they are paid US$10 million (S$13 million) advance, they get somebody to help them write a tome and they make a lecture tour…Every lecture (by former president) Bill Clinton: US$100,000 to US$200,000 for half an hour.

"That's the system. I think that's not a good system for us. We don't want ministers to retire and go on lecture tours.""

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

And I thought his son, Lee Hsien Loong, said that only former U.S. presidents are involved in writing books and lecture tours after they stepped down.

"That's the system. I think that's not a good system for us. We don't want ministers to retire and go on lecture tours.""

LKY has already written books and going on lecture tours whilst in office when LHL said that. I think Borders decided to close shop when they heard, oh no, he's going to write a book, again!

TheWhiteHorse

Alfrescian
Loyal

camping here for the 'hard truth moment'