• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Need advice: How to get rid of rice weevils ?

Spiky

Alfrescian
Loyal
I chow kiasu, bought 7 bags of rice from NTUC 1 month ago. Now, discovered rice weevils crawling out of the packs.

How to get rid of them ? Any good advise ?

Thanks.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I chow kiasu, bought 7 bags of rice from NTUC 1 month ago. Now, discovered rice weevils crawling out of the packs.

Even if you bought 1 bag and has not finish makan all, before the weevils started crawling out.

I think you have a case to return to NTUC lor and exchange.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Does it float when you wash it?

You can give it away before it gets worse?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
some say place the rice bag ( open it ) under strong sun

You did not include, putting nettings across the rice bag, or you will find birds swarming all over. Does anybody notices that rice bought from NTUC Fairprice have plenty of weevils? I used to place my rice bin at the bottom cabinet, next to the LPG cylinder and faced the problem of weevils for a long time, especially rice bought from F-price. I asked around for a solurion, nobody knew any answers. Eventually I figured out it was the indirect heat that is hatching the weevils in the rice, for the rice bin, next to the LPG cyclinder is on top of my desktop burners. I moved the rice to the kitchen top, away from the heat & avoided buying rice from F-price if I can. I have less incident of weevils, none for a very long time. I buy my rice from other supermarkets or from the provision shop near where I live, by the kilos, what they call "new rice" in Hokkien. I do have occasional weevils, if I don't use the rice for a very long time, but compared with those I bought from F-price, which you find, plenty weevils crawling out of them very quickly.

I guess, it is heat that germinate the eggs that are already present in the rice that produces the weevils.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sun it and put in airtight container. Frankly, it is good to have weevils, at least you know there are not much pesticides in the rice.

hurley

Alfrescian
Loyal
some say put dry chilli together with the rice. see if it works

steamed weevils!

2848015098_b08defea04.jpg

Last edited:

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Old folks like my mom put garlic to drive the weevils away. U can try it as I remember my old mum throw in a bushel of garlics into our 80 litres rice urn and I didn't see any insect at all, obviously we cover the urn too!

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem is buying old rice to begin with as weevil eggs will hatch and lay more eggs. Secondly, even new rice will have eggs and they will hatch when stored too long.

To solve this problem I suggest putting a certain amount in plastic bags and freeze them for a few days and replacing those with another lot until all the rice has gone thriugh the process. Remove the dead weevils and store the rice in airtight containers.

In future do not buy too much rice as the longer you store the weevils will breed and infest the grains. Also you will be eating old rice rather than freshly harvested ones, and what do you gain from buying too much?

In Manila, I always get from my relatives 2 x 50 kilo bags of rice which deteriorates as months go by. Fortunately I seldom eat at home as I am always not in. The last lot of rice usually cannot be eaten after many months.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal

How to get rid of them ? Any good advise ?

Thanks.

its amazing that from 1 post and 6 replies, not a single person bothered to check on google. are you guys really that old and incapable of researching on the net?

anyway:
Rice weevils in all stages of development can be killed by freezing infected food below 0 degrees Fahrenheit for a period of three days, or heating to 140 degrees Fahrenheit for a period of 15 minutes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_weevil

for weevil prevention tips:
http://www.malaysiabest.net/2008/09/11/how-to-get-rid-of-weevils-in-rice/

p/s ok so 1 person did actually check google, but he/she obviously didn't bother to read the full article. Chili does NOT work. weevils love to eat chili.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sun it and put in airtight container. Frankly, it is good to have weevils, at least you know there are not much pesticides in the rice.
Ya weevils are harmless........wash the rice properly then no issue........to prevent then put rice grains in freezer