• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Minister of State Tan Chuan Jin went to bangla dorms to ogle

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'll give credit when it's due. This noob Tan chuan jin has been quite hands on and appear humble since he took office. Keep it up and Marine parade GRC might keep Tin pei ling come 2016 :eek:

Foreign workers’ dorms crowded, abysmal: Tan Chuan-Jin

ynewslogo-071424_075919.png

<cite class="byline vcard" style="font-style: normal; color: rgb(125, 125, 125); font-size: 13px; display: inline-block !important; font-family: Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif; vertical-align: middle; line-height: 2.2em; ">By Ewen Boey | Yahoo! Newsroom – <abbr title="2011-11-11T04:36:12+00:00" style="border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">2 hours 28 minutes ago</abbr></cite>

Minister of State for Manpower Tan Chuan-Jin led a team to conduct a surprise inspection on two foreign workers' domitories on Wednesday evening. (Yahoo! photo)

Minister of State for Manpower Tan Chuan-Jin found “unacceptable living conditions” at two foreign workers’ dorms when he made a surprise inspection on them on Wednesday evening.

Posting on his Facebook wall after that, the political newcomer wrote, “Just returned from 2 raids on foreign workers quarters. One in Sungei Kadut and the other in Tagore Lane. One was abysmal even if the workers themselves claimed that they were ok with it.”

Tan noted that the living conditions in the dormitories may actually be better than what they have at home, which was why they “seemed to accept the conditions” for fear of being sent back home.

He added that one of the dorms was a potential fire hazard and clearly unhealthy due to the sawdust generated in the workshop.

Despite the negative aspects of the quarters, the former military man said that the workers he spoke to gave him consistent accounts of acceptable working terms and salary.

However, Tan said, “Be that as it may, we should not accept those (living) conditions here”.

Tan also said he visited a purpose-built dorm at the Canberra Road area and described that as “much better and well run”.

“We are stepping up construction of these over the next few years,” he said of the dorms.

Some Internet users praised the minister for his effort and leadership in tackling these issues. “I appreciate TCJ for going down personally, conditions are really worse than most of us living comfortably in our HDB,” said Tham Kong Wai.

Another user, Ben Chen, added, “I appreciate you doing this for migrant workers. 2 thumbs up for you. I am impressed with what you have done.”

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
they should come to my void decks and ask the ah pehs and ah sohs are they doing. many have no meals. many just sleep there ....singaporeans first?