• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Minority cultures, languages keep S'pore special: Tharman

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What a fork tongue snake, say good things about his own kind, and yet the PAP which he represents killed off dialects in our own country,,,thanks 60% for voting in this sort of scum..

Posted: 06 November 2011 1650 hrs

SINGAPORE: Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam said minority cultures and languages help to keep Singapore different from other societies.

Mr Tharman was speaking at the opening ceremony of a new building for the social and religious group Arya Samaj Singapore & DAV Hindi School on Sunday.

The Arya Samaj was officially registered in Singapore in 1927, and there are more than 2,200 students studying Hindi at the DAV Hindi School.

Mr Tharman added that he is glad to see the school is working with national schools so that Hindi can be taught in a convenient manner in schools.

He said this is an encouraging development that reflects the government's approach in ensuring Singapore remains a diverse but inclusive society.

He added that everyone has a responsibility to keep their cultures, languages and religions alive.

Mr Tharman said: "It reflects our approach to ensure that Singapore remains a diverse and multi-cultural society, where everyone integrates, feels Singaporean, feels that they are first and foremost part of a Singaporean society, but they also strive to keep their culture, keep their religion, keep their languages, because that's what makes Singapore special."

- CNA /ls

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why must Singapore be kept different from other soceties? Then what happen to immigration, integration and globalization policies? Contradicting himself, isn't it?

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Things like that should be pointed out in the ST's editorial.

Wonder whethe the editor knows anything about Sg's culture.

Wait long long.

Cheers!

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of cos can keep but only in the Closet. You want to piss off 1million China-man ar?

Come on lah. Lets face facts. Singlish is our culture and Singlish is >50% Hokklien. Like that also dont keep then dont talk what fuck culture :oIo::mad:

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
Come on lah. Lets face facts. Singlish is our culture and Singlish is >50% Hokklien. Like that also dont keep then dont talk what fuck culture :oIo::mad:

Have you heard that they want to totally destroy Singlish and constantly painting Singlish as an Embarrassing way to converse. Our identity is purposely beeing eroded so as to carter to new immigrants and foreigners.

You speak Mandarin to carter to The Million odd China-men here.

Ok back to serious discussion.. What he means is.. Everyone has a responsibility to keep his own culture but that doesnt mean that Hindi would replace Tamil(Hindi is my 2nd language) or Hokkien will replace Mandarin. What he means is the diveristy of different dialect/tradition keeps Singapore vibrant simple as that and nothing more.
On things like why mediacorp isnt putting on Hokkien peng sitcoms is the very same as to why they dont have Hindi sitcoms of V.Channel.. Majority wins.

Last edited:

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have you heard that they want to totally destroy Singlish and constantly painting Singlish as an Embarrassing way to converse. Our identity is purposely beeing eroded so as to carter to new immigrants and foreigners.

You speak Mandarin to carter to The Million odd China-men here.

Ok back to serious discussion.. What he means is.. Everyone has a responsibility to keep his own culture but that doesnt mean that Hindi would replace Tamil(Hindi is my 2nd language) or Hokkien will replace Mandarin. What he means is the diveristy of different dialect/tradition keeps Singapore vibrant simple as that and nothing more.

Fuck the Chinamen. My Chinese not bad also. But Singlish is Singlish. Our own Singapore Singlish. Nothing beat kanina you jiapa buay? Cheebye lah sipeh busy no time makan lah LOL

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fuck the Chinamen. My Chinese not bad also. But Singlish is Singlish. Our own Singapore Singlish. Nothing beat kanina you jiapa buay? Cheebye lah sipeh busy no time makan lah LOL

Well our Unique way of Speaking is slowly fading.. Im very worried too. I dont anchor my identity to my race/religion i anchor it to my Nationality. Every human being if they notice, need to be a part of Something..This a natural part of Humans, they need to find acceptance somewhere. And soon this identity will be very hard to anchor to and many will start anchoring themselves to their race or religion.

Last edited:

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well our Unique way of Speaking is slowly fading.. Im very worried too. I dont anchor my identity to my race/religion i anchor it to my Nationality. Every human being if they notice, need to be a part of Something..This a natural part of Humans, they need to find acceptance somewhere. And soon this identity will be very hard to anchor to and many will start anchoring themselves to their race or religion.

Exackly. We already have our own identity after generations here. Why abandon? I not say I abandon Chinese as race or language. I 100% guarantee chop if Jah Rasta Chinese better than me. But there has to be a difference. Ancestral culture and national culture. Without national culture, how to have national unity?

Last edited:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He himself lead by example. Married to a Chinese-Japanese, so he has integrated very well. All Singaporeans should try and emulate.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SG very unique. The previous traditions and cultures of the different racial and dialect groups made SG very unique. Since don't know when these values start to corrode. Read somewhere a 14 year old girl stole her mum's money and even slapped her own mother. And even proudly broadcast on facebook she slapped her mother and surprisingly, there are many supporters of this blogger. I really don't understand what's on this generation's mind.