• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Train otaku Jay Tan - sinkie cyber phenomena who figures out the internet

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Trainspotter says: You'll forget me soon
By Joy Fang

20111027.092831_mrt.jpg

my paper
Thursday, Oct 27, 2011

He was one of the first few to take rides on the Circle Line when its last 12 stations were officially opened on Oct 8, and he got interviewed on an English-language news bulletin.

Little did he know that it would inadvertently turn him into an overnight sensation.

In the bulletin, 23-year-old Singaporean Jay Tan, a self-confessed train-and-bus enthusiast, declared monotonously that he was "too excited (and) could not sleep last night".

A clip of the bulletin was uploaded to YouTube and it quickly went viral, attracting more than 10,000 views in three days. As of yesterday, it had garnered close to 40,000 views.

When my paper spoke to Mr Tan recently, he was blase about the attention.

"I'm just an ordinary person," he said. "The fame will last only for a short while... Give them three to six months, and nobody will remember who I am," he said matter-of-factly in fluent Mandarin.

The clip has drawn mixed comments. Some netizens mocked his English, while others made fun of his obsession with buses and trains.

Others found him adorable, though. One netizen even set up a Facebook fan page in his honour.

Mr Tan, who works as a waiter, said he now gets recognised at VivoCity, where he works. Many ask whether he is "the Jay Tan" and request to take pictures with him.

He is taking his newfound fame in his stride, but he has asked Facebook to delete the fan page because he felt "it was unnecessary".

He said he was "very nervous" during his TV appearance, so he "just answered without thinking", adding: "Who would know that, once I said it, it would get onto YouTube and everyone would know me?"

Mr Tan said his love for buses and trains began when he was four. "I used to sit beside my father as he drove, and I'd watch vehicles moving on the roads or on bridges. I like anything with wheels," he said.

His parents are divorced and he lives with his mother, 46, and sister, 20, in a three-room flat in Telok Blangah.

As for those detractors who make fun of "trainspotters" like him, Mr Tan said: "Even if you don't like our interests, you should not criticise us."

He likens himself to those who are obsessed with motorcycles and cars. "Everyone has his own hobbies, so we should respect that."

For more my paper stories click here.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gZizFnSfrEQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

298221_10150858943960710_826970709_21330606_60845615_n.jpg

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
He likens himself to those who are obsessed with motorcycles and cars. "Everyone has his own hobbies, so we should respect that."

this train otaku is infinitely more mature than 80% of the crowd that comes here to sbf. he has a higher degree of self awareness than most of the semi-retired uncles who come here to post and whinge

Last edited:

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Probably wants to relive the moments he spent beside his dad who was driving a bus when he was a small kiddo...

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
How very true. We should give ourselves projects before we die. Old people in china villages built coffins. There are car license plates spotters who take pictures of car numbers 0000 - 9999 in strict order.

this train otaku is infinitely more mature than 80% of the crowd that comes here to sbf. he has a higher degree of self awareness than most of the semi-retired uncles who come here to post and whinge

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont see anything wrong about the fascination of automobiles. But I wouldn't loose sleep over it. For his sake I hope thats trains and buses are not the only thing that excites him, or else he will be feature in renovaid in 50 years time. Alone and living in a shithole with no one to care about him.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Frankly speaking I sincerely hope this does not portray the average Singaporean male. If it were so, I would feel a great pity for the younger generation.

With the floodgates to FTrash open and all the economic uncertainly, Singaporeans must buckle up and face the tough times ahead, not engage in this kind of wanton self-indulgence displayed by this train otaku. This young man is the typical kind that would get displaced by foreigners and be forced to accept low pay and think that that is the best life can offer him. It is a very frightening thing if people are turning into like him.