• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cycle & Carriage , Mercedes-Benz & Wendy Ng

M

Mdm Tang

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_719226.html

Published on Oct 3, 2011

Stuck with an expensive lemon on four wheels

MY FAMILY bought a Mercedes-Benz last year and within two weeks of the collection of

the vehicle from Cycle & Carriage, the engine stalled.

Assuming that it was our unfamiliar handling of the car, we dismissed the problem until the Merc stalled repeatedly.

The new car was sent to the service centre many times. It was even checked by experts from Germany, but the stalling continued - it stalled eight times in a year.

When we asked for a replacement, we were told repeatedly to monitor the vehicle after each servicing.

We were promised that if the fault was not rectified, the matter would be brought to the attention of higher management.

When we finally met the senior manager, we were denied a replacement. He justified his company's stand by stating that the car should be repaired within the warranty period.

We were disappointed with the way the case was handled and it raised an important public issue: There is no law in Singapore to protect consumers like the lemon law in the United States.

I am now saddled with yet another problem, which has to do with the air-conditioning of the car.

Having paid so much money to own what we thought was a reliable marque, we have had more than our fair share of inconveniences, frustrations and time lost.

Where can we seek help?

Wendy Ng (Ms)

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even prestige brand like Mercedes-Benz also no reliable, might as well save $$$, take public transport...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Mgt Team sleeping or what ?

The management team at C & C can do nothing to solve the quality and reliability problems of Mercs. The brand has been going downhill since the early 90s and nothing is going to change anytime soon.

The last reliable Merc was the W124.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Learned my lesson once with European car (not MB) vowed never buy European car anymore and went with Lexus. My 3rd one now and never have any problem. Also customer service in Singapore and Thailand is superb. No regrets.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Learned my lesson once with European car (not MB) vowed never buy European car anymore and went with Lexus.

I was considering a Lexus when I first arrived in OZ. After all the LS400 cost less than a Camry in Singapore.

However, a bit of research soon made me realise that I could get pretty much the same quality and reliability with a good old Toyota. My 4 Runner now has 300,000 km on the clock and is still going strong. While my buddy has to put a sand box under his 6 year old Merc to catch the leaking oil, my Toyotas (3 of them) are all in pristine condition.

I'll probably never need to buy any more cars. What I have now will outlast me for sure.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Cool Sam . . . guess Japanese really know their stuff . . . . .

One more thing I want to share is exactly 2 years ago this month I bought a Camry Hybrid (during the launch in Bangkok) . . . many advised me against it because of the life span of the battery (guess people are ignorant as Prius has been around for a long time). Obviously I got the same old parts warranty which is 50,000km or 3 years whichever is first (in Thailand 50,000km could be 1 to 1-1/2 years easily). After one year there was a big advertising campaign that the battery for Toyota Hybrids is warranty for 10 years. I was sadden by the news in that I should have bought it with the new warranty. However I was pleasantly surprised after 2 weeks of the new campaign I received by mail a new warranty certificate that my old warranty had been updated to 10 years. Cool isn't it?

I was considering a Lexus when I first arrived in OZ. After all the LS400 cost less than a Camry in Singapore.

However, a bit of research soon made me realise that I could get pretty much the same quality and reliability with a good old Toyota. My 4 Runner now has 300,000 km on the clock and is still going strong. While my buddy has to put a sand box under his 6 year old Merc to catch the leaking oil, my Toyotas (3 of them) are all in pristine condition.

I'll probably never need to buy any more cars. What I have now will outlast me for sure.

mollusk

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
wendy should have bought 3 tonne merc..no power steering..good for training her arm..

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal

on another thread u condemn asian brands and praise angmor brands to the sky. here u change tune again. :*:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
mercedes-benz-o530-citaro-smb144d-4.jpg

Miss Wendy should just buy a Mercedes bus like this one... Can fit all her whole family inside..:rolleyes:

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Japanese are a class apart from other Asians.

The Japs have been making top quality cars since the mid 70s. In terms of absolute numbers, Jap cars far outsell their European counterparts. However, this has not altered the fact that Mercs, BMWs, Bentleys and Ferraris are still in the forefront of desirability. All you have to is take a peak outside your window to see which luxury brands dominate the market.

The Asians are good at mass production. When it comes to leading edge technology and flair, nothing can beat the Ang Mohs be it in fashion, electronics, photography, timepieces, software, or automobiles.

leongsam condemned all asian countries incldg japan in that thread. see above.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_719226.html

Published on Oct 3, 2011

Stuck with an expensive lemon on four wheels

MY FAMILY bought a Mercedes-Benz last year and within two weeks of the collection of

the vehicle from Cycle & Carriage, the engine stalled.

Assuming that it was our unfamiliar handling of the car, we dismissed the problem until the Merc stalled repeatedly.

The new car was sent to the service centre many times. It was even checked by experts from Germany, but the stalling continued - it stalled eight times in a year.

When we asked for a replacement, we were told repeatedly to monitor the vehicle after each servicing.

We were promised that if the fault was not rectified, the matter would be brought to the attention of higher management.

When we finally met the senior manager, we were denied a replacement. He justified his company's stand by stating that the car should be repaired within the warranty period.

We were disappointed with the way the case was handled and it raised an important public issue: There is no law in Singapore to protect consumers like the lemon law in the United States.

I am now saddled with yet another problem, which has to do with the air-conditioning of the car.

Having paid so much money to own what we thought was a reliable marque, we have had more than our fair share of inconveniences, frustrations and time lost.

Where can we seek help?

Wendy Ng (Ms)

hi there

1. mdm, your avatar looks deliciously good.
2. nice and hot pic.
3. sorry, for the sidetrack.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
on another thread u condemn asian brands and praise angmor brands to the sky. here u change tune again. :*:

Read my post again. What I said was that Asians are followers while the Ang Mohs lead the way in desirability and design flair. Nowhere did I say Ang Moh cars were more reliable.

Before Toyota launched the Lexus brand, they tore apart hundreds of Mercs and Beemers to see what made them tick. They copied what they found and then concentrated on what they do best... mass production.

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's his take on things. I'm just stating my view, that's all :smile:

i agree with your view. Jap products no way inferior to angmor ones. In fact a lot of times they are better. Korea brands also coming up strongly.