• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Does anyone know how ISD agents work?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ISD is not a spy org per se. The CIA is. ISD is more along the lines of the FBI.

CID is FBI equivalent in national law enforcement and investigation context. ISD is neither comparable to FBI nor CIA. CIA operates international networks for the purpose of intelligence. ISD operates only in this little red dot except for one suspect guy alleged by Cpt. GMS to be bugging and tailing him all the way to HK.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
CID is FBI equivalent in national law enforcement and investigation context. ISD is neither comparable to FBI nor CIA. CIA operates international networks for the purpose of intelligence. ISD operates only in this little red dot except for one suspect guy alleged by Cpt. GMS to be bugging and tailing him all the way to HK.

ISD is closer but not exact the same as Britain's M15. The difference is the MI15 doesnt arrest "Marxist conspirators"

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, take it easy. All countries including developed countries for national security reasons keep an eye on political parties to detect foreign interference, funding and manipulation.

If you are looking to find the funding source, they also operate like all developed countries. They all within the law but hidden from normal scrutiny but have a special governance and oversight. ISD's entire budget is hidden within MHA main accounts. SID is within MID while MSD is within SAF accounts. The entity that has clear and structured funds for running informants is actually CNB. CNB provides informants with one third of the street value of drug hauls and they make it known to the underworld. That is why they get tip-offs. The money is given in cash.

The PAP actually prefers to use the courts to intimidate its political opponents. They are also shamelessly gerrymander, alter the rules etc. They also reduce potential candidates for the opposition by monopolising talent.

The Malaysian Special Branch has twice funded candidates for Singapore GE. One of whom under the PAP banner.

What you have to worry about is CBs sitting in CEC giving away the tactical plans for the GE. The ISD's political masters on the pretext of reading reports also take away on any plans that might appear in the report. As part of national security, a every political identity has a dossier that will be built including his associates, sexual habits, traits, eccentricities etc.

It should be noted that the ISD's failure to pick up Hank Hendrickson approach to Francis Seow and other lawyers is considered a major Dept failure. They only found out by fluke when one of the detainees during the later part of Op Spectrum spill the beans.

It should also be noted that SDP is a known honeypot for the Intelligence agencies. No different to mousetraps set up at traffickers home where every addict turning up is picked up.

Dear Scroobal,

Apart from the payroll from the undercover organizations, there are allowances given as well. From which fund? Ask MHA.

As a player in this dangerous game, I have to make sure that I know my opponents well.

I have this feeling that ISA will be used against PAP's political opponent(s) again in the near future. I hope I am wrong but if things continue as it is now, this will not be a remote option for PAP.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats SID's style.
a friend of mine was called up for an interview after NUS. she had no idea what the position was for and how they got her info. but it was made clear to her if she were to be shortlisted, her background (including social circle - ie boyfriend) would have to be scanned too.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, take it easy. All countries including developed countries for national security reasons keep an eye on political parties to detect foreign interference, funding and manipulation.

If you are looking to find the funding source, they also operate like all developed countries. They all within the law but hidden from normal scrutiny but have a special governance and oversight. ISD's entire budget is hidden within MHA main accounts. SID is within MID while MSD is within SAF accounts. The entity that has clear and structured funds for running informants is actually CNB. CNB provides informants with one third of the street value of drug hauls and they make it known to the underworld. That is why they get tip-offs. The money is given in cash.

The PAP actually prefers to use the courts to intimidate its political opponents. They are also shamelessly gerrymander, alter the rules etc. They also reduce potential candidates for the opposition by monopolising talent.

The Malaysian Special Branch has twice funded candidates for Singapore GE. One of whom under the PAP banner.

What you have to worry about is CBs sitting in CEC giving away the tactical plans for the GE. The ISD's political masters on the pretext of reading reports also take away on any plans that might appear in the report. As part of national security, a every political identity has a dossier that will be built including his associates, sexual habits, traits, eccentricities etc.

It should be noted that the ISD's failure to pick up Hank Hendrickson approach to Francis Seow and other lawyers is considered a major Dept failure. They only found out by fluke when one of the detainees during the later part of Op Spectrum spill the beans.

It should also be noted that SDP is a known honeypot for the Intelligence agencies. No different to mousetraps set up at traffickers home where every addict turning up is picked up.

SID is not within MID or MINDEF. It reports directly to the PM and the Minister for National Security.It's based within MINDEF due to its historical and I suspect security reasons. It's budget may even come from the PMO, not MINDEF. I doubt any of the generals have access to SID funding.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Couple of other interesting approaches for information gathering;

1) I thought this was hilarious and shows how compliant we are. They phone you and ask you to come to one of their satellite offices for a chat - the famous lim kopi. In this case, it is not to threathen but to seek out information. Don't be surprised that more than half the people of the target organisation turn up and answer all the questions in a frank and compliant manner.

2) Scholarship holders are asked to "help" the country by telling about what is going on among Singaporeans studying overseas. The best joke was those who went to UK and met up and joined in Tan Wah Piow's session. I won't be surprised that in some years, nearly all were involved in sending reports back.

"national duty", " service to the country" , "good old rivalry" and money are powerful motives.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Read properly bro. I talking about where the accounts/budgets are domiciled. You bury the accounts in the main ministry budget.

SID is not within MID or MINDEF. It reports directly to the PM and the Minister for National Security.It's based within MINDEF due to its historical and I suspect security reasons. It's budget may even come from the PMO, not MINDEF. I doubt any of the generals have access to SID funding.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
SID has transformed significantly. It more technical and less James Bond. The Humint is small. Technical and analysis is some thing they are more comfortable with. Foreigners are more familiar with SID as these guys shit scared of talking to locals but revere the US/UK who they worship. They also work extensively with private intelligence agencies who provide reports for commercial entities.

Tim Huxley's Defending the Lion City gives accounts of SID Operations.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
FBI is both the Federal Police and Domestic Intelligence Agency. That means a combination of Police and ISD. CIA is has external Intelligence remit and cannot operate locally. NSA handles SIGNIT which is the interception of all signals/comms. For Singapore this is done by DSTA.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
FBI is both the Federal Police and Domestic Intelligence Agency. That means a combination of Police and ISD. CIA is has external Intelligence remit and cannot operate locally. NSA handles SIGNIT which is the interception of all signals/comms. For Singapore this is done by DSTA.

DSTA doesnt do SIGNT. Singapore's NSA is handled by the military/MINDEF.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
a friend of mine was called up for an interview after NUS. she had no idea what the position was for and how they got her info. but it was made clear to her if she were to be shortlisted, her background (including social circle - ie boyfriend) would have to be scanned too.

They have to pass the lie detector test too.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Singapore, we don't call them agents. We call them informants. The word and title informant is legal and important because it's covered under statute laws for personal and identity protection. Informants will be paid in cash or in kind from time to time depending on the arrangement.

Is the bugger still buggering you in HK? See your HH gang boss. Ask him to get rid of the bug. LOL!

Sorry Ramseth. They do have agents as a classification followed by some others. Listening post is the lowest level. Trust me, I am 100% right.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Of course I have to know about them and not because I work for them. Most of the time, those who work for them know even less about ISD because they work in cell format, thanks to Communist training.

There is something call counter-intelligence; as someone say, just read books on secret service.

Goh Meng Seng

Cell format? Goodness me, GMS, ISD is not that backward even though they screw up quite often.

Btw, I was the person who suggested reading books on secret services.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bro, you are wrong. Dir SID reports to Minister of Defence. Dir ISD to Minister of Home Affairs. Repective Perm Secs and/or ministers will then report to PMO.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Couple of other interesting approaches for information gathering;

1) I thought this was hilarious and shows how compliant we are. They phone you and ask you to come to one of their satellite offices for a chat - the famous lim kopi. In this case, it is not to threathen but to seek out information. Don't be surprised that more than half the people of the target organisation turn up and answer all the questions in a frank and compliant manner.

2) Scholarship holders are asked to "help" the country by telling about what is going on among Singaporeans studying overseas. The best joke was those who went to UK and met up and joined in Tan Wah Piow's session. I won't be surprised that in some years, nearly all were involved in sending reports back.

"national duty", " service to the country" , "good old rivalry" and money are powerful motives.

In classroom lectures, MICE is emphasised - M for money, I for ideology, C for compromise and E for ego.

For many wannabe opposition chaps, E is the key to get them to join you and betray their affiliation.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Right you are.

Lets not forget that PAP and YPAP are also closely observed, fully penetrated and have their own informants and listening posts.

In classroom lectures, MICE is emphasised - M for money, I for ideology, C for compromise and E for ego.

For many wannabe opposition chaps, E is the key to get them to join you and betray their affiliation.