• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Does anyone know how ISD agents work?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PO never lasted long in ISD and asked for transfer within 15 months. Smart guy knew he was fish out of water and got a higher grade -DS.

It may surprise you PO had 3 promotions in 2 years while in ISD. In one year he achieved double promotion in superscale grade. PO enjoys cordial ties with his 2 bosses - LHL and Lim Siong Guan. While Chie Foo was his boss then, he is now Chie Foo's boss as head Civil Service.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am aware. He was doing projects outside ISD while in ISD. Note from mid 90s were quite years in ISD. The colonel big fish they caught after he left. HC also likes this guy and wanted him to run Temasek but he was not keen. As I said, you can see this guy think.

It may surprise you PO had 3 promotions in 2 years while in ISD. In one year he achieved double promotion in superscale grade. PO enjoys cordial ties with his 2 bosses - LHL and Lim Siong Guan. While Chie Foo was his boss then, he is now Chie Foo's boss as head Civil Service.

MightyMouse

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am aware. He was doing projects outside ISD while in ISD. Note from mid 90s were quite years in ISD. The colonel big fish they caught after he left. HC also likes this guy and wanted him to run Temasek but he was not keen. As I said, you can see this guy think.

Had some limited dealings with PO, good guy. Gave him a suggestion (which was rejected earlier by the bureaucracy even though it was submitted through the much vaunted The Enterprise Challenge) and he placed the project with the relevant agency and got the project implemented. Sadly, never get any money for the suggestion even though its been implemented organisation wide, LOL!

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Had some limited dealings with PO, good guy. Gave him a suggestion (which was rejected earlier by the bureaucracy even though it was submitted through the much vaunted The Enterprise Challenge) and he placed the project with the relevant agency and got the project implemented. Sadly, never get any money for the suggestion even though its been implemented organisation wide, LOL!
Yes a nice chap. Despite his high position he remembered and greet old acquaintance (who is a nobody) even though he was together and chatting with a group of top nuts.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroo

For what its worth , I believe saner heads will prevail and that we will end up buying Israeli made equipment at a cheaper rate. Looking at the UAV orbit , we have pretty much well tracked the IDF buys, Scout, Searcher II, Hernes, Heron . The next logical progression would be the Heron TP. I seriously doubt they will go for the expensive US made Global Hawk.

Humint is hard work, and very easy to get wrong, If you were a scholar why take the risk ? If you were a customer not fully aware of limitations and extent of Intel, would you know any better or just be swayed by everything stamped " Top Secret. " Group think , and in house back scratching is a very serious problem not only in Intelligence Agencies, but senior management and governments in varying degrees. What amazes me in all the examples I see is the natural instinct for highly intelligent people, to collectively agree, not to ask to many hard questions, not to question demands and biasness, and leading to collective national, corporate or intelligence suicide

LOcke

This is a failure of political leadership to clearly fine the remit and the desired results and it will be done.

If the leadership says that we need minutes of the Malaysian Arms Procurement Committee, one major identity of Political secretary status in Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines in our payroll you have to deliver. Instead, they will put up a paper on Global Hawk, it's capabilities such as the HD image of the swimming pool and the brand tag on the bikini of the Miss Malaysia 2005 sunning herself in a Malaysian Ministers backyard pool, the natural tendency is to use all the scholarly power to break down the mechanics of the Global Hawk. End of the year, Public Administration Silver Medal for the paper on Global Hawk and not anything on the target.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes, he was more occupied with projects outside ISD. Even if Col Saunders was arrested while PO was around, he would have played no cardinal role in decisions leading to the detection. He merely OKed recommendation from his subordinates.

No idea HC also likes him. But when husband and wife likes him, sure to go far. Now I understand why he was appointed Head Civil Service. Always held the opinion BL is the brighter chap between the two.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I trust our foreign spies are having a field day. Local intelligence make up for their complexes by spying on locals and making a Mt Everest X2 out of ant mound.
Typical.

groinroot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, SPH doesn't qualify. He has to move house to accommodate BL. He knows BL well enough. That BL will continue moving northwards in his career. He even brought BL to brief LKY when the latter was PM. Btw, BL was an ASP when tasked to brief LKY.

SPH didn't impress LKY with his briefings and BL was the best solution. BL, as a non scholar, has overtaken many who were ahead of him. The most obvious being KBH, GLK and CCK. Most of the recent Dirs ISD were scholars. BL was the exception. WKS could sleep well with BL around. Yes, with honours in English from local U and Masters from LSE. Thesis was on Hong Lim by-election.

BL is a deep thinker and a good analyst who was fair and approachable. ISD officers respected him for his wisdom. He never framed, fixed up his colleagues or made scapegoats of them to score political points for promotion purposes. He was a much better man than his contemporaries. Even Francis Seow, in his To Catch A Tartar, had some good words for BL. This guy will go far.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BL is a deep thinker and a good analyst who was fair and approachable. ISD officers respected him for his wisdom. He never framed, fixed up his colleagues or made scapegoats of them to score political points for promotion purposes. He was a much better man than his contemporaries. Even Francis Seow, in his To Catch A Tartar, had some good words for BL. This guy will go far.
He is special. A student leader from the top school joining the force after pre-U instead of going to uni. Work from cpl to PS.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He is special. A student leader from the top school joining the force after pre-U instead of going to uni. Work from cpl to PS.

That may be a fantastic blessing as he may have escaped Phd that was common of the times due to be indoctrination and education in the Unis.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought Chiang Chie Foo is quite high up, serving in PMO and MINDEF now just MINDEF.

I think the tripling up of positions like for BL is crazy.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GoldenDragon said:
From what is visible to the naked eye, we appease the Indons more than our closest neighbours. For instance, when the big shots from Indon arrived as our official guests, MINDEF pays the bill for all their shopping. We are talking about 6 figures here. They take and walk out after packing. MINDEF staff collects the bills and pay either on the spot or at later date.

Agree with you on balance of power. We cannot antagonise our two closest neighbours. If ever they do unite as one to take us on, we will be in deep shit. LKY appeased Suharto in the past. Never Dr M.

There are not more than one handful of countries that can land a fighting force of sufficient strength from the sea to take control of another country. There is just no such carrying power for most countries. Indonesia does not belong to this rarified group.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Benny is one of the nicest guy that you can meet. Never loses his cool and mixes around well.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think people are getting the wrong idea how he rose thru the ranks. Benny would have gone to the Uni like his brothers and his father is a lawyer. Certainly not middle class but upper class.

Benny was always was on the plumb side and rather than go thru the army for NS, he chose the Police. As you cannot choose the service for NS, he signed for the 5 years scheme in the Police where you go for 4 mths training and go straight to stations. You also draw salary. This scheme is popular for a number of reasons one of which is going to the Uni after 2 years, do service during the long holiday and when you get a degree, you become an acting Inspector and get a cushy job until your 5 years of service is up. Lots of people took advantage of it and the door to this was finally shut. It was actually meant to recruit regulars.

That may be a fantastic blessing as he may have escaped Phd that was common of the times due to be indoctrination and education in the Unis.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tell you something interesting about LHL and HC. When one of them likes a certain someone, both of them will work on him. Peter Seah was CEO of OUB and old man was trying to convince the 4 local banks to consolidate into two. He applied so much pressure but he could not do anything. Dhanabalan as Chairman of DBS tried and fucked it up by upsetting Lien Ying Chow and Wee Cho Yaw and paid $1M each for his expat's insults about them.

Then son and daughter-in-law began working on Peter Seah to convince the owner Lien Ying Chow to sell. They actually visited OUB together and paid visits. The rest became history. OUB sold out to UOB and Peter Seah was hired by HC. He is still with them and now chairman of DBS. Old man happy, son and daughter-in-law happy to help old man. Peter Seah happy.

No idea HC also likes him. But when husband and wife likes him, sure to go far. Now I understand why he was appointed Head Civil Service. Always held the opinion BL is the brighter chap between the two.

Last edited:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think people are getting the wrong idea how he rose thru the ranks. Benny would have gone to the Uni like his brothers and his father is a lawyer. Certainly not middle class but upper class.

Benny was always was on the plumb side and rather than go thru the army for NS, he chose the Police. As you cannot choose the service for NS, he signed for the 5 years scheme in the Police where you go for 4 mths training and go straight to stations. You also draw salary. This scheme is popular for a number of reasons one of which is going to the Uni after 2 years, do service during the long holiday and when you get a degree, you become an acting Inspector and get a cushy job until your 5 years of service is up. Lots of people took advantage of it and the door to this was finally shut. It was actually meant to recruit regulars.

Sounds so much better than SAF scholar types like CCS.

PS: What's the salary for these guys? We have million dollar Ministers, do the PS and civil servants get less or more? Based on the talk, PSes should also get high salaries.

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal

Are you also one of those who took advantage of this scheme of service? :p

From this, we already see that this Benny is certainly a thinker. A clever chap who knows how to get the best out of the situations he is faced with.

Future president?

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you also one of those who took advantage of this scheme of service? :p

From this, we already see that this Benny is certainly a thinker. A clever chap who knows how to get the best out of the situations he is faced with.

Future president?

Too good to be president the way you guys describe him. Nothing of the TT daftness/SR loyalty.