• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Does anyone know how ISD agents work?

byleftcan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why you all argue until face red red? ISD catch terrorist is good what. Let terrorist then is bad!

Because ISD is associated wit ISA and ISA is the cane used by the PAP to whip the opposition in the past. There is a valid concern among many of us that while ISD catches terrorists, they also might catch genuine opposition politicians at the PAP's bidding, even if these opposition politicians are not puppets of foreign paymasters.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is one area where the state press and academia can help educate the public. Until these things come out in the open and there is discussion, none will be the wiser. I am not calling for state secrets to revealed but the politics of the region. How things fit and why the need for balance of power to maintain the peace.

Forget about intel and counter-intel, most Singaporeans are not versed in basic geopolitics. Why are we such good friends with the US and what is our role in promoting US foreign policy interests here? Which is a greater threat to us -- malaysia or indonesia? Most are unable to answer.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Forget about intel and counter-intel, most Singaporeans are not versed in basic geopolitics. Why are we such good friends with the US and what is our role in promoting US foreign policy interests here? Which is a greater threat to us -- malaysia or indonesia? Most are unable to answer.

Easy for me to answer. Indonesia.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Easy for me to answer. Indonesia.

Gather 10 NUS/NTU/SMU graduates and most will answer Malaysia. No one seems to consider who has real control of the shipping lanes around Singapore and who has active terror cells not only operating freely but actually engaging the the rural regions.

byleftcan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gather 10 NUS/NTU/SMU graduates and most will answer Malaysia. No one seems to consider who has real control of the shipping lanes around Singapore and who has active terror cells not only operating freely but actually engaging the the rural regions.

Moreover, Indonesia more politically unstable. Anytime can lash out at neighbours, Konfrantasi is a old good example. The current government looks sane, although it wasn't when the shorty was there.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear GMS

I believe your fears are overblown. Firstly if the Chinese were to fight with the USA , as it stands it would be over Taiwan and not the South China Sea. Japan would be the logical target as the US Seventh Fleet PACAF, Marines, PACOM, all have major basing facilities there which are owned by the USA. You can't replicate that sort of infrastructure skill and personal set overnite and you certainly can't hide it. There is a world of difference between offering a port of call to a US Carrier and offering a Home Port to a US Nimitz carrier.

Secondly for what its worth the Chinese have developed the ability to knock out key infrastructure from space without the use of Nukes. ICBMs IRBMs with near cruise missile accuracy would be enough to conventionally destroy the logistics infrastructure without the use of Nukes. T he US are worried about Chinese Conventional Ship Killing ICBMs so a sitting infrastructure target would be no problem indeed.

For what its worth we offer a FOB to the US with an ability to support and sustain a surge capability, much like the US in Saudi Arabia or UAE or Bharian all rolled into one. But an FOB cannot the infrastructural support that a permanent operating base like Japan can. SUBIC was such an operating base but the silly Filipinos threw it out in a nationalistic frenzy and well they are now getting PUSHED around and are paying the price.

Locke

You don't seem to understand what is meant by invading and liberate Taiwan vs attacking Singapore as US Navy supporting base! These are two different military objective. You don't just nuke the place you want to invade, conquer and occupy. But you can just nuke out your enemy's logistic supply line. And it is a well known fact that it is easier to nuke or just bomb your way instead of invading, conquering and occupying enemy's territory. This is why Desert Storm I is so successful (just bomb Iraq army all the way) while Desert Storm II where they try to conquer and occupy Iraq proved to be disastrous... Arabic version of Vietnam.

If the communist can just massacred thousands of students and civilians at Tiananmen Square just like that, do you think they care about 1 million of PRC who have left its soil? Wake up!

Goh Meng Seng

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS sounds like a load of nuts as usual LOL

What fuck PRC nuke Sg? Then all info and facilities they want gone LOL

Biggest fuckup is Sg and SAF. This GMS fuck also can be captain no more LOL, cry my beloved country!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Special Branch is the old name of ISD as well. The British created both but they kept them separate and the files were not shared. When Singapore merged with Malaysia, the files were taken away. SB covers both external and internal intelligence of Malaysia.

Malaysian Special Branch sounds like ISD. Do the Malaysians have a SID version or MSB also does overseas?

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
China will never engage the US over Taiwan because Taiwan is just a pawn of the americans to contain China. But China can and will engage Japan especially if the latter abandons its pacifist mindset and becomes more confrontational to secure raw materials which it lacks.

Japan will also be on China's bulleye when the japanese try to exploit chinese cheap labour and manipulate the coastal regions in response to their own demographic crisis which will leave them dreadfully short of labour.

I believe your fears are overblown. Firstly if the Chinese were to fight with the USA , as it stands it would be over Taiwan and not the South China Sea. Japan would be the logical target as the US Seventh Fleet PACAF, Marines, PACOM, all have major basing facilities there which are owned by the USA. You can't replicate that sort of infrastructure skill and personal set overnite and you certainly can't hide it. There is a world of difference between offering a port of call to a US Carrier and offering a Home Port to a US Nimitz carrier.

Locke

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Right you are? I do understand that they do want to upset the local natives but we have entire generation which have no clue. I am dismayed to find out that people consider Chin Peng a National Hero. They actually think that Chin Peng was fighting the army of Malaysia for independence.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember when asked which country has the most number of muslims, someone at a forum said Saudi Arabia. Some looked puzzled and others were satisfied with the answer. And we hanged Indonesian commandos!!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember when asked which country has the most number of muslims, someone at a forum said Saudi Arabia. Some looked puzzled and others were satisfied with the answer. And we hanged Indonesian commandos!!

Indonesia has the most Muslims. India is second, not even Pakistan.

bullfrog

Alfrescian
Loyal
There used to be such National Education Courses given to SCSCC Army officers incl Reservists. I dont hear of them nowadays. This could be part of the syllabi for the Education program of Heng swee Kiat for IHLs. What I went thru was useful, e.g. in learning that during the Cold War, why the Russians were so eager to secure a foothold in a warm water port like Danang, which was why they were interested in Vietnam, to counter the 7th fleet.

This is one area where the state press and academia can help educate the public. Until these things come out in the open and there is discussion, none will be the wiser. I am not calling for state secrets to revealed but the politics of the region. How things fit and why the need for balance of power to maintain the peace.

If ever a survey was done in the streets of Singapore and 100 people were asked what is meant by the term "the sea of Malays", the chances of they knowing is close to nil. Ask them about Jack Neo's car model and 98% will know.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most ISD personnels are decent people involved in routine intelligence only. There's such routine gathering of intelligence in every other country regardless of of whichever party is in power. It's national necessity. There're of course physical aspects to some duties like the the requirements to get physical with detainees. Once again, this is the same in any country under any party or police. If the police don't do their job, then you worry.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This thread is really interesting. Not the contents though. It reveals the act blur, really blur, really know, act know....

At the end of the day though this is simply just a forum. We're all faceless here. Nobody knows each other in real life, we aren't going to score pts to redeem for vouchers if we know more than others. There's no difference in acting like a jester here or as a professor. The problem is some ppl like screwball is going to find a way to sort of record down the score. Something like the yearly oscars where they hold some ceremony and he starts some thread to praise various esteemed forummers especially himself on their knowledge and know how on topics such as this. There's no problem about this but oh he really treats this like the oscars. Like forummers getting a special mention from him have truly accomplished something spectacular and deserve an honorable mention.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This type of knowledge is so common. Anyone should know it at their finger tips but in any case even if they don't know a google search would suffice.

Not shit Sherlock. I like posting the common. Repeating over and over if I have the time and fancy. I'm not trying to prove that I'm Sherlock, Google or Wiki. You have a problem with that? In fact, I'm happy that people like you took the trouble to read what I wrote and took the trouble to reply critically to it. Thanks.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not shit Sherlock. I like posting the common. Repeating over and over if I have the time and fancy. I'm not trying to prove that I'm Sherlock, Google or Wiki. You have a problem with that? In fact, I'm happy that people like you took the trouble to read what I wrote and took the trouble to reply critically to it. Thanks.

I'm not insulting you man. I'm just commenting that it's really very common knowledge and that anyone that doesn't know it isn't very knowledgable. Trust you to take offence to something like this. Why so sensitive?