• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Quick thinking sinkie saves herself from death in Shop 'n Save freezer

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wait arent all freezer doors made so that it can be open from the inside? that is basic safety...spore standards are really 3rd world

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
Something must be wrong. The freezer should have manual open from inside (just like normal freezer in home) . Unless someone from out side use padlock to lock it.

By design freezers regardless of industrial or commercial the door lock are always one way. The fact that the temperatures inside is sub zero manual opening from inside is not feasible. People working in such environment usually goes in pairs if not there must always be a wedge to make sure the door stays open when working inside. Even so there's still a risk, there must be counter measure against malice or accidental lock in.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The fact that the temperatures inside is sub zero manual opening from inside is not feasible.

can explain further why it's not feasible? I heard it's something to do with the pressure differences between the both sides.. don't get it...

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most commercial walk in freezers have a push knob on the inside to open the doors. I guess shop and save are cheepos. Buy lousy doors for their walk ins.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lets wait and hear wat Labour Chief got to say, lor!

He is very busy reading his CPF Statement delivered to him by hand, printed on gilt-edged paper & is in ectasy!. If this is China Ah Mei from Herlongjiang, he will ride on his 'horsey' and pronto to shop n Save & 'cry me a river'!:p SIngaporeans...you die your business.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This story I kid you not. just a few weeks ago I saw a bangla worker do welding without a visor.

can't help but question if workplace safety standards really going backwards.

You do not have to wonder much, how did the shop n save, pass the annual safety inspection? & tested the safety features of the freezer or anything else.

Which contractor's out there ( only a few does) bothered if the Bangla do welding without a visor, wears a head gear or an earplugs or safety boots?

The safety thing is to make the maximum amount of money by & from the safety standards provider & the ministry that implements the policies ( lip-service mostly) it is more on money making than really caring for a human being.

It is money, & more money...so don't take all these safety features out there for granted...look after yourself!

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lets wait and hear wat Labour Chief got to say, lor!

It happens once in 50 years...

Something must be wrong. The freezer should have manual open from inside (just like normal freezer in home) . Unless someone from out side use padlock to lock it.

Not only cold room door, all doors should have manual open from inside as fire safety precaution, except confinement facilities of course but these are always guarded from outside.

Last edited:

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
can explain further why it's not feasible? I heard it's something to do with the pressure differences between the both sides.. don't get it...

Pressure differences between both sides has an effect in keeping the door closed due to the suction effect of the difference in temperature. Sub zero inside and room temperature outside. But that is not good enough, the door has to be thermal insulated and with magnetic elements so that when the door closes it's sealed. The door lock by design is a latch, this will further tighten the sealing effect when the door is closed to maintain the sub zero temperature inside. Manual opening from inside is not feasible but not impossible, it has to be specially designed or rather customized. Cold room is a different story.:p

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By design freezers regardless of industrial or commercial the door lock are always one way. The fact that the temperatures inside is sub zero manual opening from inside is not feasible. People working in such environment usually goes in pairs if not there must always be a wedge to make sure the door stays open when working inside. Even so there's still a risk, there must be counter measure against malice or accidental lock in.

Inside freezer should have manual handle to pull it door open if the automatic push button fail/malfunction.
So i think management just bo chap. Cannot be both manual handle open and push button fail together.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha.....freezers are designed to be able to open from both inside and outside...although there is some pressure difference.
however many have forgotten that freezers doors are usually also padlocked from outside.
that explains why such accidents still happened from time to time due to miscommunications...
there should also at least have some safety features to indicate that there are people in the freezer to outsiders before they locked the doors....
the simplest way is a red light near the door that should be switched on from inside....what is termed "Man in the freezer" alarm.....a requirement onboard ships.

From Shin Min, 18/9/2011.....after the incident, it was confirmed that the door can be opened from inside and the promoter was not familiar with the operation.

Last edited:

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
Inside freezer should have manual handle to pull it door open if the automatic push button fail/malfunction.
So i think management just bo chap. Cannot be both manual handle open and push button fail together.

I am not too sure but what I gather from that news report, there's no manual opening from the inside. Otherwise the lady wouldnt have to use a trolley to keep the door open, this is an obvious telling the door lock is one way. The emergency button which did not work is not for the door but for something else, probably an alarm bell like those in high rise building elevators. All these sounds to me what they had is those commercial walk in freezer that are by design one way lock rather than a custom designed cold room.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most commercial walk in freezers have a push knob on the inside to open the doors. I guess shop and save are cheepos. Buy lousy doors for their walk ins.

yes you are right, that is what I meant when I said the doors can be opened on the inside for safety reasons.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have to agree. How come the freezer cannot open from the inside need to use something to block the door? Which idiot bought/design a freezer that requires pple to move in and out and not install a door handle from the inside?

Last edited: