• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The full account of how the old man insulted the PhD student

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
The PhD student should have refused to answer his questions on the grounds that they are irrelevant firstly; and too personal, secondly. Then she should have respectfully directed him back to her question, and if nec, repeated it for the senile old man.

I think sometimes we are just too deferential or respectful for our own good.

Last edited:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
She tio stunned, I'm sure steffychun can handle it better, by countering the 1st question :"How's your wife?" LOL :biggrin: :biggrin:

travelbug

Alfrescian
Loyal
PhD student should have asked

"What about your daughter, Lee Wei Leng AND your GRAND-daughter, Lee Xiu Qi? Are they not spinsters too?"

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PhD student should have asked

"What about your daughter, Lee Wei Leng AND your GRAND-daughter, Lee Xiu Qi? Are they not spinsters too?"

yah...if she have asked this question, next morning, she will find herself being expelled and her phd dreams shattered.

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
This LKY is too much. Bullying his political nemesis is one thing but bullying women and innocent students is morally wrong. Those in the audience who laughed at Joan should be ashamed of themselves.Joan, be strong and happy. The reality in SG is such that many women are marrying late and have kids later - reference TJS's wife, they have great and healthy children.Your other half is there, and you will have a happy life. Ps: thanks stuffy for the link.Best wishes on your Doctorate research.

jujim

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spare the old man. He was trying to emphasize the point that "suitable baby bearing" girl like her is not considering marriage and thus giving birth to Singaporean babies NOW before it is "too late". Hence, the reason for big influx of immigrants.

If his daughter status is brought up, he would just say that reinforced his thinking.

As one said, MM is MM. Don't think he is trying to insult that girl.

Last edited:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The PhD student should have refused to answer his questions on the grounds that they are irrelevant firstly; and too personal, secondly. Then she should have respectfully directed him back to her question, and if nec, repeated it for the senile old man.

I think sometimes we are just too deferential or respectful for our own good.

Absolutely agree. Everyone has a right to his/her privacy, not to mention that old fart's puerile probings were completely irrelevant to the student's question.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone want a Phd girlfriend? I know of one who is Single and Available.. And her biology clock is ticking.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Spare the old man. He was trying to emphasize the point that "suitable baby bearing" girl like her is not considering marriage and thus giving birth to Singaporean babies NOW before it is "too late". Hence, the reason for big influx of immigrants.

If his daughter status is brought up, he would just say that reinforced his thinking.

As one said, MM is MM. Don't think he is trying to insult that girl.

It is rude not to answer HER question first before asking HIS question.

Anyone want a Phd girlfriend? I know of one who is Single and Available.. And her biology clock is ticking.
But ... but ... she ... study biological sciences one ... you know ......... I ... damn scared ... you know. What if she experiment on me.
Her bio clock ticking but she does not look desperate.
:biggrin:

Last edited:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many people expect LKY to be rational and intelligent when faced with reasonable question. As such, we do not prepare ourselves for a polemic exchange. It was not the fault of the PhD student who probably just wanted to hear that logical answer. But history tells us we are not safe whenever LKY is in the room. We must always be prepared to face down an ideological diatribe from LKY. We must rehearse mentally what we are to do - we cannot wait till we are in the heat of battle to start thinking from scratch.

Here's what I've done in the past, albeit to a lesser light. I asked a question and got a response in the form of a question designed to diminish my credibility. I was quite intimidated but managed to compose myself. When he stopped talking, I ignored his question and repeated mine. I got a rant about something or the other, but mainly suggestions that I should not be asking the question. I waited until there was a pause, and repeated my question. Same rubbish from him. When I could, I said, 'it's obvious you do not have an answer to my simple question.'

I then returned to my seat. He was quite stunned.

As I've said, this is not easy under the pressure of public speaking, it has to be rehearsed.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I then returned to my seat. He was quite stunned.

As I've said, this is not easy under the pressure of public speaking, it has to be rehearsed.

.... does your feet ... feel like jelly ....? and ... your .... breathing .... heavy ....?
totally ... blanked out ..... ?
when it happened to me once, I said "Fuck you" in my mind, did not answer him and left. I still remember a nearby policeman scaring at me (I stare back at with a "kiam pa" look at him)

If Harry Lee do that to me now, I will stare at him and tell him nicely - "You have not answered my question", "Did you listen to what I just asked", " I asked a question first", "If you have no wish to answer that question, I have no wish to listen to you" and "You are wasting my time" :biggrin:.

His weakness is that he thinks he is God. Singaporeans' problem is that they think he is REALLY God.

My weakness is in annoying people like him. I may not be sharp, but I can stay focus on my point and not let him interrupt my thoughts :biggrin:

How many policy mistakes have he made, because no one - I repeat - NO ONE, dare to criticise.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The wise old man had missed an unique chance to answer a damned good and relevant question.

TinyTower

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have seen other world leaders openly apologizing for their mistakes in policies but I have never seen our leaders doing the same. In return, we the citizens are now being blamed for the low birthrate and fast ageing population and forced to swallow this bitter pill and accept the mass influx of immigrants to boosting our population.