• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tips on how to use Vbulletin - {was : Navigating for Threads of Interest/Replies}

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just a suggestion for accessing your threads of interest/replies. Hope others can provide a better solution.

1. Go to User CP on top left hand corner
  2. Under Edit Options, go to Messaging & Notification Category
  3. Go to default Thread Subscription Mode
  4. Click one of the options for auto subscription of all threads that you have posted in
  5. If you do not want any email related notification, just tag no email notification
The next time you visit the site, you can go to user CP and all your threads of interest(auto subscribed)will be displayed.

You may want to tweak your display default to hybrid using the same edit options to see the message thread at the top of each thread and find your usual suspects or unread threads.

Anyone with better ideas, please post.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
First of all, I'd like to thank Scroobal for starting this thread. I hope all those who are familiar with Vbulletin can add to the thread. One tip per week per knowledgeable member is all that is necessary

Many things which were very complicated in Delphi can be done with a couple of clicks on the Vbulletin forum.

Here's my tip of the day... If you click on any member nick, a menu appears. All the items are self explanatory. If you have any queries, just ask :

clickonnick.gif

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
First of all, I'd like to thank Scroobal for starting this thread. I hope all those who are familiar with Vbulletin can add to the thread. One tip per week per knowledgeable member is all that is necessary

Many things which were very complicated in Delphi can be done with a couple of clicks on the Vbulletin forum.

Here's my tip of the day... If you click on any member nick, a menu appears. All the items are self explanatory. If you have any queries, just ask :

clickonnick.gif

Any way to get a list of thread topics on the left hand side of the screen?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Any way to get a list of thread topics on the left hand side of the screen?

That would require the introduction for frames and would be a disaster. Hard to index. impossible to bookmark plus have to struggle to find the url of an individual post.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If anyone wanna to ignore any losers, go to user cp, the "Edit Ignore List", then key in the losers' nick and you are done..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tip4 - Having difficuly identifying if a reply/response without quotes applies to your post.

Click on Display Mode button on the right of the 1st post of the thread. Switch to Hybrid or Threaded mode. The Thread layout will appear and you will get your answer.

Alternatively to put the chosen display as default, go to Edit Options in User CP and set the default.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Tip4 - Having difficuly identifying if a reply/response without quotes applies to your post.

Click on Display Mode button on the right of the 1st post of the thread. Switch to Hybrid or Threaded mode. The Thread layout will appear and you will get your answer.

Alternatively to put the chosen display as default, go to Edit Options in User CP and set the default.

After a while, people will learn to use the quote system and it will become pretty obvious who is replying to whom. I could deactivate quick reply but I think it is useful. Let's see how it goes.

Multiquotes can't be done in Delphi. You can copy and paste the whole message including the links but that often caused the message to break out of the frames if it is not done right.

Because of the frames, many people did not know how to locate a thread url.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Another useful tip. Go to the bottom of page of any thread and you'll see a list of "similar threads" that vbulletin unearthed for you. I've found this feature to be very useful in the vbulletin forums about technical issues. Eg http://www.vbulletin.org

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How to embed a YouTube video? Anyone knows?

Say I want to embed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLz-sl1ZfBs

Can give a step-by-step guide? Boleh tak?

for ur case, type laidis la ...

<$embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLz-sl1ZfBs" width="425" height="344"><$/embed>

remove ze $ when u type ...

src - specify ur link ... notice how ur original link has been changed ...

width n height - specify ze size of ze window ...

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLz-sl1ZfBs" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
for ur case, type laidis la ...

<$embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLz-sl1ZfBs" width="425" height="344"><$/embed>

remove ze $ when u type ...

src - specify ur link ... notice how ur original link has been changed ...

width n height - specify ze size of ze window ...

The embed code is provided at youtube. All I do is copy and paste it in.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• embed.jpg
    embed.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 334

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Suggested Quick Navigation Routine:
If you are a previous Delphi Diehard Fan and need a routine to quickly to check for your daily dosage, this might help.

1) Log in to forum as usual
Handling Post that you particpated in
2) Click on User CP on top left
3) If you followed direction in post 10306 in this thread, all posts that you participated in will be automatically subscribed and this will be revealed
4) Do your responses or replies here
Incoming New Posts
5) Click on the New Posts button which is on the navigation at top centre between "calendar" and "search"
6) All posts will be displayed from all folders with the latest on top. Those who tend to stick to one particular folder will come across some decent surprises in other folders under new post

Note: there is no ready feature to see post that is addressed or marked to you. Only way is to subcribe to thread manually or by autosubcription and look for quotes with your nick on it (bummer!)

Last edited:

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Suggested Quick Navigation Routine:
If you are a previous Delphi Diehard Fan and need a routine to quickly to check for your daily dosage, this might help.

[... snipped for Sam's benefit ...]

Problem is, there's still no way to get back the navigation bar at the side or to identify replies marked specifically to you. If the users forget to quote, you don't know aht they are replying to.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Problem is, there's still no way to get back the navigation bar at the side or to identify replies marked specifically to you. If the users forget to quote, you don't know aht they are replying to.
Unforunately you are right.

There is however a tedious way to see if the post without quotes is a response/reply to you. Click on display on far right on top of the thread. Go to hybrid or threaded mode instead of Linear mode. A window opens on top of the thread and you see the links.

Thats one way to see if the nasty remark or that compliment is for you.

You can set the required display as the default if you like in the Edit Options part.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fastest way to place someone in the ignore list:
Click on his/her nick
Click on Profile from drop down box
Click on "user list"
Click on "place on ignore list" from the drop down box

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I've found that the best way for a quick scan of all the responses since I posted a message in a particular thread is to click on my own nick and auto search all the messages that I posted by clicking on "Find all posts by Leongsam".

The list will list all the threads from latest to earliest. It often reveals messages that I forgot I'd written. :p

I have been using this method in the sex forum for the last 5 years as the volume of messages is so high it is easy to lose track of what's going on.

Unforunately you are right.

There is however a tedious way to see if the post without quotes is a response/reply to you. Click on display on far right on top of the thread. Go to hybrid or threaded mode instead of Linear mode. A window opens on top of the thread and you see the links.

Thats one way to see if the nasty remark or that compliment is for you.

You can set the required display as the default if you like in the Edit Options part.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
best way for a quick scan of all the responses since I posted a message in a particular thread is to click on my own nick ..list all the threads from latest to earliest. It often reveals messages that I forgot I'd written. .
Also useful to size up your "target" forummer, gives you some idea on his inclinations (though not necessarily a true reflection):p And maybe you change your miind to either upping him ...or giving an infraction:biggrin:

Loongsam

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no "Unread Message to you" thing in VBulletin.

If there is a way to search for all responses to your own messages, that would be so neat. But there isn't, right?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no "Unread Message to you" thing in VBulletin.

If there is a way to search for all responses to your own messages, that would be so neat. But there isn't, right?
Unfortunately no. Only way is to tag threads via auto mode as described in post 1 of this thread. You will only if someone adds a post but not specifically to you.