• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Polys Cut Lecturers' 42-Day Leave

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Papayas are always looking for ways to cut the Peasants' KKJs and lengthen their own. What's their ulterior motive?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Leave review: Poly lecturers cry foul
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><TR>Many quit higher-paying jobs just for 42 days' leave; leave set to be cut in bid to offer better total package </TR><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Jane Ng
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->
POLYTECHNIC lecturers are upset that their annual leave may soon be cut.
<TABLE width=200 align=left valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD class=padr8><!-- Vodcast --><!-- Background Story --><STYLE type=text/css> #related .quote {background-color:#E7F7FF; padding:8px;margin:0px 0px 5px 0px;} #related .quote .headline {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:10px;font-weight:bold; border-bottom:3px double #007BFF; color:#036; text-transform:uppercase; padding-bottom:5px;} #related .quote .text {font-size:11px;color:#036;padding:5px 0px;} </STYLE>Why the change and who's affected
The 42-day leave scheme is a legacy of the 1960s.

The current review is intended to produce a 'compelling career pathway' and 'attractive pay package', says Ngee Ann Polytechnic principal Chia Mia Chiang, who chairs the review committee. Annual leave is just one aspect of the package.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Ironically, the proposed leave cut is part of a review meant to make a career in the polytechnics more attractive.
The review will revise and align salary scales and career development paths for staff in five polytechnics.
Annual leave for academic staff, which now stands at 42 days, will be reconsidered as part of the review.
The polytechnics would not say why they are reviewing the annual leave but lecturers, many of whom quit higher- paying jobs to join the polytechnics precisely because of the longer vacation time, are up in arms.
Some lecturers said that during focus- group discussions, the new number of leave days being bandied about was 21 to 28 days.
But Ngee Ann Polytechnic principal Chia Mia Chiang, who chairs the review committee, dismissed this, saying leave 'will not be halved to 21 days'. He declined to give further details.
All told, there are 2,800 teaching staff at the polytechnics who will be affected if leave is cut, excluding the 700 at Republic Poly, who already get just 21 days. Non-teaching staff at these institutions get 21 days of leave.
The 42-day leave scheme is a legacy of the 1960s.
In remarks to The Straits Times, MrChia gave the assurance that the aim of the review was to come up with a 'compelling career pathway' and 'attractive pay package' and that annual leave was just one aspect of the package.
The review, he said, 'is necessary to ensure that our compensation and career development framework remains competitive'.
He said final details could be expected in three months' time.
Turning to the issue of leave, he said: 'Annual leave alone is not going to attract or not attract staff.'
Not so, say lecturers, who feel their leave is more important than any increase in pay.
Most upset are those with families, especially young children, who value the extra time off work.
A woman lecturer in her late 30s who has two children said she left her previous job at a bank to join a poly because of the 42 days of leave.
The long vacation meant she would have more time with her daughters.
'Taking away this perk will make me rethink my choice. I took a big pay cut to teach at the poly so I could spend more time with my family,' she said.
One 32-year-old lecturer has resigned rather than accept a shorter leave period.
'It's a raw deal. People in other jobs have 21 days but they can take it at almost any time of the year. But in the poly, we're limited to the students' holidays.'
Lecturers say it is not possible to take extended periods of leave during the semester, when lessons are ongoing. So they usually take them during the polytechnic holidays.
While most are dead set against a cut, some lecturers, such as Mr Adrian Er, 33, who teaches at Ngee Ann Poly's business school, said a leave reduction would be painful, but most would eventually come round to it.
Still, he hopes the leave cut will not be too drastic.
'I think that 30 days will go down better with most of us,' he said. [email protected]

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
These bastards want to cut the cake and eat it also. Pay so high, so many leave KNN dunno how to appreciate what a good life they have. Most of them must be opposition party backers who think the govt owe them a living and any change which is not to their satisfaction is not good for them at all.

Must be friends of CJS monkey crap king.

Andromedans

Alfrescian
Loyal
These bastards want to cut the cake and eat it also. Pay so high, so many leave KNN dunno how to appreciate what a good life they have. Most of them must be opposition party backers who think the govt owe them a living and any change which is not to their satisfaction is not good for them at all.

Must be friends of CJS monkey crap king.

I used to think that Poly lecturer make a lot of money also, but in fact they really lag market rate by 30 to 40% knew this coz my childhood frd is a lect in poly. Got to pity them coz cutting the leave to 3wks is really absurd, with that kind of low pay.

Imagine this, an average poly student have 30wks of classes and 4wks of exam and 18wks of vacation per year. What is the lecturer gonna do for the remaining 15wks - 3+ months ! when the students are on vacation?

Heard from him also its a directive from MOE, those who do not take up this leave cut will not get their pay adjustment and will not be promoted in the future. Won't be surprise if they all go on strike. Like every policy in this damned country: Shove it down your throat.

I can imagine when this kick in, lots of good old Sporean lecturer will resign and be replaced by foreigners, least thats what my friend is contemplating. Good luck to those students signing up after their O levels in the future.

ns is killing singapore

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to think that Poly lecturer make a lot of money also, but in fact they really lag market rate by 30 to 40% knew this coz my childhood frd is a lect in poly. Got to pity them coz cutting the leave to 3wks is really absurd, with that kind of low pay.

Imagine this, an average poly student have 30wks of classes and 4wks of exam and 18wks of vacation per year. What is the lecturer gonna do for the remaining 15wks - 3+ months ! when the students are on vacation?

Heard from him also its a directive from MOE, those who do not take up this leave cut will not get their pay adjustment and will not be promoted in the future. Won't be surprise if they all go on strike. Like every policy in this damned country: Shove it down your throat.

I can imagine when this kick in, lots of good old Sporean lecturer will resign and be replaced by foreigners, least thats what my friend is contemplating. Good luck to those students signing up after their O levels in the future.
hoho...it's one of their schemes from the start isn't it...that is to REPLACE SINGAPOREANS FROM ALL JOB MARKET WITH FOREIGNERS ,but i still can't get it what's in it for them at the ultimate dead end?

jerry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Part of the 42 days come from the semester break. So now the government expects the lecturer to return to the office during a semester break??

panama

Alfrescian
Loyal
POLYTECHNIC lecturers are upset that their annual leave may soon be cut.

Will poly lecturers join opposition to show their disgust?

Is that the punishment for Sylvia Lim for joining the WP? Now, she has less vacation time to do work for WP :eek:!

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah, let me tell you what is actually happening. it is the poly trying to cut cost lah, and indirectly cutting the lecturer's salary.

Most poly lecturer simply take a few days of day off during semester break when they are not teaching, without taking leave. They may say that they are working in the lab or mentoring students, but who knows, they may be at GL having a good time.

Then at year end, they will say that they have not time to clear all their 42 days of annual leave during the 'hectic' schedule and projects for the entire year. And ask to convert the annual leave in salary. Each month has about 22 working days, so 42 days is basically about 2 extra months of salary.

So when the poly reduce the leave from 42 days to 20+ days, it is indirectly cutting the lecture's salary by 1 month. Obviously the lecturers are unhappy, but of course, they can't state the true reason.

It is bullshit to say that they quit high paying jobs to become lecturers. If that is the case, then go back to the high paying jobs lor.

sally

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is bullshit to say that they quit high paying jobs to become lecturers. If that is the case, then go back to the high paying jobs lor.

Quite true, the lecturer's pay is quite competitive.

What legacy thing about the 42 day leave, is the government talking about?

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then at year end, they will say that they have not time to clear all their 42 days of annual leave during the 'hectic' schedule and projects for the entire year. And ask to convert the annual leave in salary. Each month has about 22 working days, so 42 days is basically about 2 extra months of salary.
I am not so sure about that. If so picky about this encashment of leave, den just set a limit to leave encashment loh. Why cut leave?

Andromedans

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not so sure about that. If so picky about this encashment of leave, den just set a limit to leave encashment loh. Why cut leave?

Apparently one cannot convert their unused leave to cash in poly. But they can only carry forward them but not all, not sure how many days though. It is said (though not confirmed) MOE will pay one-off 0.5 month salary to 'redeem' the 21days back from the staff. what a ridiculous deal !

think some forummers here are right, these lecturers will most likely play with the system and 'disappear' during the vacation if they bulldozed their policy through.

GoldenBellShield

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just to clear some misconceptions.

1. Leaves cannot be encashed.
2. Many lecturers clear their leaves and then work from home in a relaxed pace during semester breaks.
3. Lecturer's salary are typically lower especially for mid career job switchers. Say, if you earn $8000 as an AVP in the bank and then move to the poly to teach banking, rest assure that you will get a 30% to 40% pay cut. In exchange, you get 42 days leave, less stress and more freedom.

And these are the categories of people who find jobs as academics in the polys. Think about what 42 days leaves mean to them.

1. Mid career switchers who want to slow down.
2. Academics who love their field. As a lecturer, they are surrounded resouces to research the stuffs they love.
3. Those who can't do, teach. :smile:
4. People finding sanctuary for a short period before returning to the industry to chiong again.
5. Those who find their calling in teaching and has real passion to create a positive influence in the minds of young adults.

These categories overlap. So you may find a mid career switcher who loves his field so much that he wants to do it every day and night. You may also find people who truly loves interacting with young adults.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Were the Poly Staff allowed to "convert" all 42 days into pay in lieu? I find that a strange HR benefit.

So when the poly reduce the leave from 42 days to 20+ days, it is indirectly cutting the lecture's salary by 1 month. Obviously the lecturers are unhappy, but of course, they can't state the true reason.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Easy solution: don't convert leave to money la!!

Then everyone is forced to clear their 42 days by year end, and anyone who complains indirectly admits he 'keng' out the leave for extra money.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
how i wish my company has this policy of converting leaves into cash.

42 days is a lot of days.

z_z

Alfrescian
Loyal

Isn't there some kind of unwritten law that during term break, one can "disappear" provided you do not have any active duties? At least that is what is implemented in primary / secondary schools and junior colleges. I think that is fair since teachers are not allowed to go on leave during the term.

Not sure about lecturers though since they are expected to contribute via research and collaboration with companies.