• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore’s first English animated feature film opens on Oct 30

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Caught a glimpse of the show on CNA. It was utterly boring, lacks originality. Really cannot make it. I wonder how many people will watch it. To boost ticket sales probably they will promote it to schools at half students price.

There goes 7.5m and 4 years of work. I dunno how much they paid for the so called FT Director.....

----------------

SINGAPORE: Singapore’s first English animated feature film "Sing to the Dawn" will open on October 30.

Dawn has finally come for the movie, which took over four years and S$7.5 million to make.

It is based on the 1975 award—winning novel of the same name by Singaporean Ho Minfong.

"Sing to the Dawn" is about a young village girl, and the obstacles faced in chasing her dream of studying in the city.

It is billed as a family movie.

The lead roles will be voiced by local actors Celine Rosa Tan as Dawan, the young girl, and Lim Kay Siu as the father, Somchai. Mr Lim’s wife Neo Swee Lin voices the part of the grandmother.

The film is a co—production between Infinite Frameworks, the Media Development Authority of Singapore and MediaCorp Raintree Pictures.

The producers say what makes the movie stand out is its animation style which carries a uniquely Southeast Asian feel.

Mr Phil Mitchell, Director of "Sing To The Dawn", said: "Visually we are trying to achieve a non—photo realistic look. So that means we’re not trying to pretend what we’re making is the real world. We want to produce a movie that has a particular look and feel on its own, leave enough of a gap for the viewer particularly these youngsters to take possession of it and fill in those gaps themselves, allow their imagination to make the picture to be what they want it to be."

The director draws inspiration from the "Jungle Book" movie, which he counts as the first movie he can remember watching and which also made a huge impression on him.

"Sing to the Dawn" has been well—received so far overseas, travelling to many film festivals.

Mr Daniel Yun, MD of MediaCorp Raintree Pictures, said: "Our aim is to really get recognition not only in Singapore, but in Asia as well as global markets. That animation in Singapore is well and alive. Our budgets are relatively small, our animation is not exactly cutting edge, but it is really special to this part of the world."

"Sing to the Dawn" is the first animation movie by MediaCorp Raintree Pictures, and the third to be made in Singapore hitting the silver screen.

The company says the movie faces many challenges, especially the inherent prejudices by audiences and the media.

Mr Yun said: "The previous two animations have been in a way a liability, because the box office has not been really good. And the animation standard has not been at the level that is quite acceptable by the exhibitors as well as the distributors around the world. In some ways, "Sing to the Dawn" is like a departure from this, so we hope our standards are higher, not only the animation standard, but also the standard of story—telling."

You can catch the making of "Sing to the Dawn" on Channel 5 this Friday at 7.45 pm and on Channel NewsAsia this Sunday at 10.30 pm. — CNA/de

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Totally agreed. All that money seems to have gone into nothing.

Even the first Mickey Mouse animation looks more exciting.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Singapore’s first English animated feature film opens on Oct 30

Caught a glimpse of the show on CNA. It was utterly boring, lacks originality. Really cannot make it. I wonder how many people will watch it. To boost ticket sales probably they will promote it to schools at half students price.

There goes 7.5m and 4 years of work. I dunno how much they paid for the so called FT Director.....

see what i mean? yoga doesn't work! why be unhappy over small matters like this?

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
see what i mean? yoga doesn't work! why be unhappy over small matters like this?

What's wrong with that? Its okay for me to show unhappniess, anger etc cos I never portray myself as some pious man spreading the word of God but acting otherwise.

So based on your statement, when fellow Christians kill or hurt each other, Christianity fails? Is that how your church teach you? To damn others and not show respect to other beliefs?