• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Horse Racing

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Hornet takes final Leg of 3YO Challenge
Michael Lee/Craig Brennan
Sunday, July 27, 2008

The third and final Leg of the Singapore Three-Year-Old Challenge lived up to its top billing of a battle that would separate the men from the boys, and on Sunday, The Hornet, probably the best miler of the lot, emerged to upstage hot favourite Big Maverick.

The build-up to the $450,000 Group 2 race run over the mile had all along put Big Maverick, the winner of the first two legs, on a high perch that most well-wishers would have loved to see him stay on, but if there were to be a horse to spoil the party it was always going to be The Hornet.

Douglas Dragon’s “best horse for a long time” as the veteran trainer emotionally called him after the race, had shown serious intentions of denying Big Maverick a cleansweep with a fast-finishing second in the second Leg, despite taking a bit of buffeting during the running of the 1400m race.

The mile would suit him better, had declared Dragon and the son of deceased stallion High Yield could not have endorsed that assertion better inside the last furlong.

A jubilant Gavin McKeon celebrates victory aboard The Hornet in the final Leg of the Three-Year-Old Challenge on Sunday.

Big Maverick (Saimee Jumaat), who admittedly did not have the easiest of journeys, toughing it out three deep after jumping from an awkward alley in barrier 10, still looked the most likely to claim victory (plus a $150,000 bonus for winning all three Legs) when he swept to the lead at the 400m once Dylan (Robbie Fradd) started to lose ground, knocking up to run last.

The Hornet had in the meantime been angled down the middle of the track and started to mount his challenge with 250m to go.

The final furlong panned out as scripted by most racing pundits – the two best horses locked into a stirring battle down the Kranji straight. The Hornet stuck his head out at the 100m but Big Maverick showed he was not about to concede defeat so summarily.

But under jockey Gavin McKeon’s urgings, The Hornet kept finding more to outstay a vanquished but proud runner-up in Big Maverick by ¾ length at the wire. Ace Amigo (Noel Callow) ran third another 2 ½ lengths away.

“The horse has been working well since his last second to Big Maverick,” said Dragon, all moved to have notched his first Group race since Sky Frontier took out the Group 3 Committee’s Prize in 2002.

“I knew if he beat Big Maverick today, he would win. It’s been a while since I’ve had a horse like The Hornet in my stable. “I’ve won the Selangor Tunku Gold Cup with Ace Jet and the Perak Derby with Trustworthy, and then nothing. “He will go for a break and just give him an easy time. We will take it one step at a time.”

The Hornet ran the 1600m in a sizzling 1min 34.8secs just 0.6 seconds outside Kim Angel's record. He has now earned close to $500,000 in prizemoney for his owner Choo Thiam Huat.The happy connections of The Hornet following his victory in the 3rd Leg of the Three-Year-Old Challenge.

The normally placid McKeon, who decided to return to New Zealand after his current three-and-a-half licence runs out on August 3, was so overjoyed with his first feature win at Kranji, that he could not help waving his whip in delight a few strides before the winning post, incurring him a $500 fine for the outburst. “I’ve ridden many Group 1 wins back home (New Zealand) but this has to be up there with my best moments,” said the Australian, who however was based in New Zealand before his Singapore stint. “I will definitely come back as soon as I can to continue my association with The Hornet once my commitments with Spin Around in New Zealand are over. “I’ve earmarked The Hornet as my Derby horse ever since I first jumped on him.

“My horse began well but there was a lot more speed than what I had anticipated. I then elected to sit off the speed, and I was lucky to have Big Maverick on my outside and Ace Amigo on my inside, the two horses to beat.
“All I had to do is follow them and nurse and nurse him into the straight. He was still full of running at the top of the straight and once he got in the clear he just kept finding.”

Trainer Laurie Laxon was also full of praise with the effort of Big Maverick, who was attempting to become the first horse to win the three Legs since Southerly Wind in 1997 when the Challenge was known as the Tiger Beer Triple Challenge. “It’s pretty hard to race three wide and win against quality opposition like that,” said Laxon. “The winner was always one to be concerned with. He shaped as though the 1600m was going to be an ideal trip for him.”

Saimee was also glowing in his report of Big Maverick following the race. “We were three wide and just couldn’t get in,” said Saimee. “But I was impressed with the way he toughed the race out. “He’d only been to the 1600m once before and hadn’t won at the trip. Maybe if he had an easier run, the result could have been different.”

Laxon also saddled up third-placed Ace Amigo and Dylan. Jockey Noel Callow reported to Laxon that Ace Amigo was a better galloper with a “bit of cut” in the ground while Fradd reported that Dylan “wasn’t the same horse” as when he won on the gelding back in May.

Laxon said the three gallopers would all have a break. “You can’t send them anywhere here,” he said. “They can just have a break without being saddled and do a bit of swimming. That should freshen them up nicely.”

Finally The Hornet obliged, i had been putting money on his since the first leg, finally won the third and final leg. Overall still make a bit of profit.:smile:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINGAPORE JULY MEETING 2008

FRIDAY, 25 JULY 2008:

RACE 2 [TF820]

At the conclusion of an Inquiry on Sunday, 27 July 2008, Jockey E Aslam, the rider of NEVERANINCH, pleaded guilty to a charge of careless riding under MRA Rule 44(9)(c) in that whilst riding NEVERANINCH in the second race at the Singapore Turf Club Meeting on Friday, 25 July 2008, near the 1200m, he allowed his mount to shift inwards, when insufficiently clear, thereby crossing into the running of SONIC KOUN (App T Affandi), which had to be eased.

When deciding on penalty, the Stewards took into account his record, guilty plea, the degree of interference, carelessness and submissions from Jockey Aslam that he will be engaged to ride at the Singapore Race Meetings on Saturday, 02 August 2008 and Sunday, 03 August 2008.

The Stewards determined to suspend his licence to ride in races and acting under MRA Rule 48(5), the commencement of the suspension was deferred to begin on Monday, 04 August 2008 until Saturday, 16 August 2008 both dates inclusive (three Race Days). He was advised of his Right of Appeal.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Stewart suspended three days
Singapore Stewards
Monday, July 28, 2008

SINGAPORE JULY MEETING 2008
FRIDAY, 25 JULY 2008:

RACE 7 [TF825]

At the conclusion of an Inquiry on Monday, 28 July 2008, Jockey R Stewart, the rider of SHING YI, pleaded guilty to a charge of careless riding under MRA Rule 44(9)(c) in that whilst riding SHING YI in the seventh race at the Singapore Turf Club Meeting on Friday, 25 July 2008, near the 1000m, he allowed his mount to shift into the running of MASTEFUL (E Aslam), when insufficiently clear, thereby resulting in that horse crowding GUST (D Beasley) and SWAINS WORLD (J Saimee), which checked and lost ground.

When deciding on penalty, the Stewards took into account his record, guilty plea, the degree of interference, carelessness and submissions from Jockey Stewart that he has been engaged to ride at the Singapore Race Meetings on Saturday, 02 August 2008 and Sunday, 03 August 2008.

The Stewards determined to suspend his licence to ride in races and acting under MRA Rule 48(5), the commencement of the suspension was deferred to begin on Monday, 04 August 2008 until Friday, 29 August 2008 both dates inclusive (three Singapore Race Days). He was advised of his Right of Appeal.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tsui is man of the year

MURRAY BELL
Prev. Story |Next Story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me Tsui has worked wonders with his bottom graders. Photo: Kenneth Chan

The numbers show he finished third on the trainers' ladder, but for what he achieved and the class of cattle he achieved it with, Me Tsui Yu-sak is our trainer of the year.
Tsui has grafted victory after victory with ordinary animals, many of them refugees from bigger-name trainers that couldn't make them go and were glad to see the back of them. But they received a fresh chance under the bespectacled local horseman, who turned around one equine career after another until suddenly, there he was, with 51 winners on the board and only the big names of John Size and Caspar Fownes ahead of him among the leaders of his profession.

Tsui has just four horses in his yard rated Class Two or better and one of them is a transfer horse yet to race for him. The most amazing one is Fat Dragon, who arrived as a Class Five maiden just over two years and has now won seven races, earned nearly HK$3.6 million and these days earns his living in Class Two. Look at slow horses like On Shan Brave, never closer than 11th in his first five starts, but Tsui eventually won a race with him. Or Kingston Temple, a candidate for the slowest horse award, moved across and magically won at his first start for the "rejuvenation centre". Or Crystal, who had failed to win in 32 starts for two previous trainers but, in six starts for Tsui, had a breakthrough victory and three other placings as well.

And just to show he's got what it takes with young horses as well as the old warriors, Tsui won two griffin races with Seize The Day and My Smartie.

John Ridley, the Jockey Club's head of racing operations, says when Tsui was assistant trainer to Francis Lui Kin-wai, he was always top of the class in the club's formal education programme. "We knew then he had a good brain on him," he said. "And as for his work ethic, he's non-stop - the only person at Sha Tin I could compare with him is John Size."

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Boss turns his back on contract for new season

MURRAY BELL
Prev. Story |Next Story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Australian jockey Glen Boss has flagged the first shock of the new season, yesterday advising the Jockey Club he will not return as a club rider for the 2008-09 term.
Boss had previously accepted a full-season contract, but has decided to return to Sydney with immediate effect, citing family reasons.

"I have no complaint about Hong Kong, I had a good season and was looking forward to building on that," Boss said. "But during the break, I have done some thinking and my future is not in Hong Kong, my future and my family's future is in Sydney."

Boss will return on Friday to collect his belongings and make final arrangements before leaving for Sydney early next week.

"During my time in Hong Kong, the thing I missed most was the big buzz surrounding the carnivals and Group One races," said Boss, who won two Group Ones - the Golden Slipper Stakes and Doncaster Handicap - on hit-and-run visits in April.

A key factor behind Boss' decision was the choice made by Ricky Yiu Poon-fie to engage Weichong Marwing as a stable jockey , despite the success the pair had enjoyed.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lim's Connection gets verdict in The New Paper Trophy
Sunday, August 03, 2008

A photo print was needed to reveal the winner of the sixth edition of the $75,000 Kranji Stakes C The New Paper Trophy on Sunday. In a last lunge at the post, Lim’s Connection just touched off Superb by a short head to give his trainer Steven Burridge his first win in the race sponsored by the Singapore Press Holdings-owned daily.

“Reconnected” with French jockey Eric Legrix, who was replaced by Saimee Jumaat and Danny Beasley at his last two runs, Lim’s Connection had been a little out of sorts since his last win in February, but did a great job to score first-up, gaining the verdict after a stirring battle with Superb on the rails.

On this photo, Superb (on rails) is still in front but Lim's Connection (No 2) will nab him right on the line. “I had planned his work thinking he would measure up to the Derby, but he fell a bit short of that class at his last runs,” said Burridge. “We gave him a break and he came back in good form. Unfortunately he broke through the barrier at his last start and had to be scratched.” “I was expecting a good run today as his work has been very good. I thought his odds would be better than that ($25), though.” “He did a good job to win first-up.”

Legrix, who has partnered the Catbird five-year-old to three of his previous four wins, gave full credit to Burridge’s hard work. “I seem to get along with him. He can play the fool at times, like the last time when he played up in the stalls,” said Legrix. “Today I only followed Steve’s instructions to race a lot handier as he was fresh. Everything went to plan and I was able to get out in the home straight. He just kept giving all the way to the line. Steven has done a great job to produce him first-up for this win.”

Legrix who has been out of the winner’s list for a while, was pleased as punch he had brought home a winner in a feature race. “It’s been pretty quiet lately but it’s always good to win. The feature race is a bonus.”

But it was a win he earned through a lot of hard work and perseverance.

Second favourite Superb looked all over the winner at the 200m when under Danny Beasley’s strong urgings, he was making every post a winning one. Favourite Husonic (Noel Callow) was already a beaten horse, after being caught three wide for most of the way.

Lim’s Connection plugged on solidly down the middle but did not seem to quicken fast enough to reel in Superb on the fence. Celine Star (John Powell) was also chiming in down the outside, but just when the race seemed to be going Superb’s way, Lim’s Connection threw his head on the line to land the chocolates at the last hop.

Lim’s Connection clocked a sizzling 1min 22.4secs for the 1400m, just 0.6 seconds short of World Airlines’ record. With this latest win, he has now earned close to $240,000 in prize money.

D

DotCom

After last Sunday fall, I heard N Callow and B Voster is out for the rest of the season?

So J Saimee is laughing from his left ear to his right, championship in sight and no challenge from R Fradd or Beasley...

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
J Saimee will tarik if riding favorite and tau gai on outsider !! Watch out if he rides Dean's horses !!

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
pai-seh,this is the only thing that i will never touch.
come and go very quick.
see too much liao,those around me and some best friends.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
is there a CD ROM or somewhere on internet can download all the past winners and their info like jockey , trainer , breed etc ?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
is there a CD ROM or somewhere on internet can download all the past winners and their info like jockey , trainer , breed etc ?

bro, there no free lunch in this world. If u only wanna MRA record, i believe there some websites can help u but u must pay for it.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Diva Doing Well

Wednesday, 20 August 2008: Triple Melbourne Cup winner Makybe Diva is doing well after giving birth to her second foal, a filly by Fusaichi Pegasus, at Segenhoe Stud in NSW.

"Makybe Diva has taken to motherhood as a true professional. She has come through the foaling in fantastic order," said a spokesman.

"Tony Santic is currently on vacation and was anxiously awaiting the phone call. He was extremely happy to hear it was a filly, but more important, they are both fit and well."

Santic confirmed last month that the triple Melbourne Cup winner and Cox Plate heroine's first foal, by Galileo, would be part of the group of yearlings to be offered at the 2009 Australian Easter Yearling Sale in Sydney.

"The Galileo colt is doing extremely well and continues to impress.Obviously he will be very popular," the spokesman said.

Makybe Diva and her new foal will head to Coolmore Stud in NSW where she will be served by leading stallion Encosta de Lago.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Vale Filante
Story By Brian Russell Media

Wednesday, 20 August 2008: Former outstanding racehorse and Group 1 sire Filante died on Sunday at George Fraser's Ilala Stud, Scone.

Unforgettable is an apt description of the four lengths victory in new track record time in the1996 renewal of the Epsom Handicap over 1600m at Randwick of Geoff and Beryl White's son of Star Way.

Filante's time of 1:33.3 for the race is the fastest ever registered in either the Epsom or Doncaster Handicaps, two of the great 'mile' races run in Australia.

His Epsom jockey, Brian York, said afterwards that he did not think that he had ever been on a horse who could quicken like Filante, one whose name is French for shooting star.

Filante showed often through his 25 start career that there was nothing freakish about his Epsom display, his other six wins including the Caulfield Stakes-Gr.1 (2000m) by 2.3 lengths, SydneyTattersall's Chelmsford Stakes-Gr.2 (1600m, race record time) and AJC Warwick Stakes-Gr.2 (1400m) twice, the second time in still standing track record time of 1:21.06s.

In addition he was runner up twice in the Moonee Valley Cox Plate, on the first occasion beaten a head by Saintly, and also second in the AJC George Main Stakes – twice, VRC L.K.S. Mackinnon Stakes, STC Canterbury Guineas and at a second go at the Chelmsford and third in the AJC Australian Derby, Chipping Norton Stakes and in a second attempt at the Mackinnon.

Bred by the late distinguished NSW breeder Jim Fleming and purchased by the Whites at a Sydney Easter yearling sale for $220,000, Filante was a half-brother to two other Group1 winners, Bint Marscay and Kenny's Best Pal, and from Eau d'Etoile, a Sir Tristram Queensland Oaks and New Zealand Oaks third.

Retired to Widden Stud in 1998, Filante has been the sire of 149 winners.

The best of the six stakes winners among them has been the Timor Creek Stud, Murrurundi bred Macedon Lady, annexer in 2002 of the G1 Caulfield Thousand Guineas.

Filante has had a new achievement as sire in recent weeks, supplying a very promising steeple jumper in Wheel The Lead.

He followed up a big finishing four lengths win in a steeple at Hamilton in Victoria on August 3 with success in the Cleanevent Steeple over 3500m at Adelaide's Morphettville last Saturday, August 16.

Although Filante is a big loss for 2008 season for the Ilala Stud, they are still offering mare owners the use of nine sires, including high class performers Amalfi (won the Victoria Derby), Oh Oklahoma (second in the Rosehill Guineas), Classic Endeavor (16 wins in America including15 on New York tracks), We Can Seek (Chilean Triple Group1 winner), Honor in War (American Group 1 winner) and Grand Reve (Canny Lad winner of six sprints and runner up in three stakes to the spectacular filly Gold Edition).

Also on the Ilala roster are Vice Admiral (a brother to champion racehorse and sire Dehere), Techrico (by Zabeel and from Golden Slipper second Vaindarra) and Sippin' Bourbon (a half-brother to Kentucky Derby winner Smarty Jones).

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Redoute's Builds Momentum
Story By Nathan Exelby

Wednesday, 20 August 2008: The recent run of expensive Redoute's Choice runners making impressive starts to their three-year-old season continued with the win of Stalingrad at Gosford today.

Stepped up to 1600m after an encouraging third to Predatory Pricer on debut, Stalingrad wore down last start winner Grager to score a convincing victory on the line.

Bred by Yarraman Park from the Kingmambo mare Sakhalin, the Tim Martin trained colt cost $700,000 at last year's Inglis Australian Easter Yearling Sale.

Sakhalin was a winner at 2600m and Stalingrad looks like he is going to appreciate getting out over more ground as well.

It is the family of Italian Group 1 winner Sudan (Peintre Celebre) and Australian Group 3 winner Red Trinket (Lure), who were both most effective at 2000m and beyond.

Sakhalin's Catbird colt fetched $350,000 at this year's Magic Millions Yearling Sale and she was sent to the Redoute's Choice stallion Nadeem last season.

Redoute's Choice slipped to ninth on the General Sires list last season, following top three finishes the previous three years, including his Champion Sire title in 2005-06.

However he has made the right start to the new season with a string of impressive winners.

These include the $2million yearlings Allied Force and El Cairo, who have both scored runaway maiden wins this month.

Furthermore, $1.5million colt Grand Jardin made an impressive breakthrough at Geelong last Friday.

Viennese, a $1.4million filly, gave the stallion his first stakes win for the new season when impressively taking the Listed Quezette Stakes at Caulfield last Saturday.

Sakib, a $2.3million yearling purchase for Tim Stakemire in 2006, made his debut as a four-year-old at Scone last week and was also able to win for trainer Kris Lees.

In fact, Redoute's Choice has now had 15 individual winners in the first 20 days of the new season, with impressive Rosehill winner Red Lord another horse looking capable of helping Australia's top priced stallion back to his perch atop the sires lists this season.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jeff Lloyd To Ride In New Zealand
Story By Chris Scholtz

Wednesday, 20 August 2008: South African star Jeff Lloyd will travel to New Zealand next month to ride AJC Derby winner Nom Du Jeu in his return to racing at Hastings.

Sydney-based Lloyd confirmed that he will ride Nom Du Jeu in the $250,000 Stony Bridge Stakes (1600m) at Hastings on September 20 after receiving a glowing report about the four-year-old's progress from trainer Murray Baker.

Nom Du Jeu stole the spotlight from some big names at the Te Teko trials in New Zealand on Tuesday when he scored a classy win in a 1200m heat.

Lloyd landed his first Group One win in Australia when he produced a gem of a ride to win the AJC Derby on Nom Du Jeu at Randwick in April at his first ride on the son of Montjeu.

The following week he teamed again with the Kiwi stayer to finish second in the G1 Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2000m) won by Sarrera on a heavy track.

Tuesday's trial was the first public appearance by Nom Du Jeu since his Sydney campaign and he was fresh enough to race on the pace before comfortably holding off the opposition.

"He raced a bit fresh and needed the hitout but won pretty easily," Baker reported.

"He's a lot stronger now. He's been going pretty well.”

Noel Harris, who was Nom Du Jeu's rider in his NZ races before he came to Sydney, rode the Derby winner in the trial but Baker said the Lloyd is booked for the Stony Bridge Stakes.

Lloyd will then decide if he will return to New Zealand to ride Nom Du Jeu in he $2 million Kelt Capital Stakes (2000m) at Hasting on October 4 as it falls on the same day as the Epsom Handicap meeting at Randwick.

Baker plans to give Nom Du Jeu another trial or an exhibition gallop before he resumes on September 20

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore Contract For Michael Cahill
Story By Chris Scholtz

Thursday, 31 July 2008: Top Brisbane rider Michael Cahill is to take up a riding contract in Singapore 12 months later than originally planned.

The Singapore Turf Club has granted Cahill a six-month visiting jockey's permit from September 1 until February 28.

Star Adelaide apprentice Amy Herrmann will also make a flying visit to ride at Kranji for two weeks from August 18 to August 31 as part of a scholarship to expand her experience.

Cahill, 43, was granted a licence to ride in Singapore last July but had to cancel out after he suffered hip and wrist injuries in a race fall.

The Queensland-based rider was sidelined until June but has made a great comeback over the winter carnival including a win in the $200,000 Caloundra Cup on Fast Future.

Cahill has ridden more than 2200 winners in his 25-year career and has ridden successfully in England, Hong Kong, Macau, Korea and Malaysia.

He first rode in Sinpoare when racing was conducted at the old Bukit Timah track before the opening of Kranji in the 1990s.

Cahill's record includes G1 wins in the Domben 10,000 and Stradbroke Handicap and moe than 20 Group 2 and Group 3 races.

His biggst overseas wins include the Macau Derby in 2004 when he won the riding premiership at Taipa with 112 wins.

Herrmann, 20, is indentured to Adelaide mentor David Balfour, who trained in Singapore in the 1990s.

She is this year's Dux of the SA Apprentice School and part of the scholarship includes a trip to Singapore.

Herrmann will be indentured to trainer Don Baertschiger during her short stay and will claim 3kg in races at Kranji.

In another Kranji riding development Irish jockey Mark Gallagher has been granted a 12 months extension of his current licence which expires on August 31.

Gallagher, 39, is ninth on the Kranji premiership with 17 wins from 171 rides.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Zeditave Lines Up For Season Number 20
Story by Nathan Exelby

Thursday, 22 May 2008: He's the oldest living stallion to sire a Group 1 winner in Australia this season and is about to stand his 20th season at stud, but believe it or not, Zeditave's best crop of foals may still be yet to come.

“He's been a terrific stallion for us,” Newhaven Park's John Kelly said of the rising 23-year-old, who was a 5-times Group 1 winner in 1988 and 1989.

“Gee, time certainly flies. I still remember the first time he turned up here. It's hard to believe this will be 20 years.

“He hasn't aged at all in the last seven years – he looks the same now as he did when he was 15.”

Zeditave recently had Typhoon Zed become his latest Group 1 winner and he has also been in the news as the damsire of the World's highest rated sprinter Sacred Kingdom (Encosta De Lago-Courtroom Sweetie) and last Saturday's impressive G2 winning filly Court (Anabaa-Splish).

Zeditave, who will stand at a fee of $12,500 this year, was in fact a saviour for Newhaven Park last season.

The stud at Booroowa in New South Wales was stranded in the EI drama and was never in the purple zone, which enabled other stud farms to move stock and get mares covered.

“It seemed we were every colour of the rainbow except purple,” Kelly said.

“I don't know what would have happened without him (Zeditave) last season.

“As a result of that, he covered the best book of mares he's probably ever had.”

While all of Newhaven's Zeditave mares and relations to him were forced to stay dry last year, Zeditave was given the opportunity to cover all of the stud's other classy matrons and his book of 43 included the likes of Beam, Beauty Belle (dam of Absolute Champion), Betrille, Blizzardly, Bumptious and Candy Vale.

“We won't put him under any pressure, but I think this year would be an opportune time for breeders to send a mare to him because they will be breeding on the back of what may well turn out to be his best crop of foals,” Kelly said.

“He got most of them in foal and I would be very surprised if there weren't a few good horses come from those matings.”

Typhoon Zed became Group 1 winner number seven for Zeditave, who first took up stud duties in 1989, when he took out this year's AJC The Galaxy.

He follows Assertive Lad, Assertive Lass, Chlorophyll, Ruffles, Sports and Strategic - who is now doing a fine job himself at stud - as G1 winners for the stallion.

Another of his sons, the Group 2 winner Magic Albert, is also making a good fist of his new career, with Al Be Nimble adding another stakes win to his scorecard in Saturday's Listed Civic Stakes at Rosehill.

As a 1985 model, Zeditave is the second oldest stallion to have sired a Group 1 winner in Australia this season, with Rubiton (1983) taking the veteran honour when Rubiscent won the Underwood Stakes.

But with Rubiton having died in 2005, it makes Zeditave the oldest living stallion with a Group 1 winner this season, just edging out Zabeel, who was from the 1986 crop.

Quest For Fame (sire of Sarrera) is a northern hemisphere bred born in 1987, as is Royal Academy, sire of Thousand Guineas winner Serious Speed.

It was 20 years ago that Zeditave started a warm favourite in the Golden Slipper, but was beaten into sixth place by Star Watch – a horse he easily beat a week earlier in the Pago Pago and would beat again in the Ascot Vale the following spring.

The Slipper was in fact one of only three times Zeditave was beaten in a 17 start career, that yielded 14 wins – 5 at Group 1 level – and $1.3million in prizemoney.

A son of The Judge, from wonder broodmare Summoned, Zeditave was retired after three straight Group 1 wins in the autumn of 1989 – the William Reid, the Lightning Stakes and Futurity Stakes, which followed his juvenile Group 1 successes of the Blue Diamond and T.J. Smith (as the race is now known).

All up, he is the sire of 35 individual stakes winners and his progeny earnings top $30million, having sired winners not only in Australia, but nine other countries, including New Zealand, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Singapore and Great Britain.

Newhaven Park's lone stallion is also a rising star among the broodmare sire ranks, highlighted by the World's highest rated sprinter Sacred Kingdom and last Saturday's impressive G2 winner Court.

His Group 1 winning daughter Assertive Lass proved herself a gem in the breeding barn, highlighted by the dual Group 1 winner Reset, who is now the sire of two stakes winners himself from his first crop.

In all, Zeditave is the damsire of 17 stakes winners and his broodmare earnings are already at the $20million mark.

“I like him a lot as a broodmare sire and his stats are getting better all the time,” Kelly said.

Court has the opportunity to add to Zeditave's Group 1 tally as a broodmare sire when she tackles the T.J. Smith at Eagle Farm next month.

“We have always had a lot of faith in Splish. She was only lightly raced and won very easily at Wyong but never raced again after that.”

Her two foals are both winners, with Court joined by the promising three-year-old Shibboleth (bred on the same Encosta De Lago-Zeditave cross as Sacred Kingdom), who was a $460,000 purchase for Woodlands Stud at Easter in 2006, but will now race for Darley, having won one of her two starts to date.