• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MDeeA : Why viewers must pay TV licence fees on time to watch our crap

G

General Veers

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="789"><tbody><tr> <td colspan="3" height="26"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="5"> </td> <td colspan="2" valign="top" width="784"> Why viewers must pay TV licence fees on time
By Leong Wee Keat, TODAY | Posted: 05 January 2010 0704 hrs

SINGAPORE: Households who do not pay television licence fees on time are getting more attention from the authorities.

About 77,200 households were slapped with a late payment notice in 2008 for not paying the $110 fee, compared to 65,000 who failed to do so in 2005.

The most common reasons for late payment include the licensee's oversight, working overseas, financial difficulty or misplacement of the first payment advice, said Media Development Authority of Singapore deputy director (customer services and operations) Dorothy Lai.

However, MDA said the annual late payment rate has remained at 8 per cent.

The increase in number of late payments is due to the rise in the number of households – about 965,000 licences were issued in 2008, up from 812,500 in 2005.

TV licence fees are used to fund free-to-air public service broadcasting (PSB) programmes on MediaCorp, the parent company of this newspaper.

The programmes serve "the objectives of promoting values important to Singaporeans", touching on identity, culture, heritage, racial and religious harmony, for example, said MDA.

But with more cable TV channels available, some are wondering why they should pay TV licence fees.

"There are similar programmes, like documentaries and news, on cable channels," said service engineer John Lum, 48. "I don't mind paying (TV licence fees), but more updated shows should be produced."

Others want more clarity on how the fees are used.

"Since the money is given on a platter, is there any assurance there is no wasteful expenditure?" a blogger, Roger Poh, wrote.

According to the Auditor-General's report last year, 67 per cent of radio and TV licence fees collected are used for PSB programmes.

The rest goes to expenses related to collection of the fees (11 per cent), industry development (15 per cent) and reserves for future PSB and content development funding (7 per cent).

In the 2007/08 financial year, about $80.82 million was used to fund PSB programmes, which covered genres such as information and current affairs, arts and culture, minority language news and programmes, children's and locally produced sports programmes as well as local dramas.

Over 3,000 hours of programmes are supported each year, and MDA's Ms Lai cited some highlights on its PSB report card: PSB programmes received 22 nominations at last year's Asian Television Awards, with The Little Nyonya jointly clinching the Best Drama Series.

Ms Lai added that eight in 10 of the "most appreciated" TV shows in 2007-2008 were PSB supported.

But the Auditor-General's report noted that the survey used for the appreciation index is inadequate, as it does not assess whether or to what extent the programmes meet the objectives identified by MDA – a shortcoming that MDA says it has since rectified.

To get households to pay fees on time, MDA will launch a public outreach programme this month to "educate" the public on "why the fee should be paid, how to pay, and why it is important to pay on time".

Collaterals will be sent to households but these should "not appear as hard-sell, or as Government propaganda", according to MDA's tender documents for the initiative.

The MDA will send a reminder to pay the original amount plus a $25 late payment fee to households that have not paid by Jan 31. After this, and a second late notice, a summons will be sent via registered mail to those who still do not pay up.

- TODAY/so

</td></tr></tbody></table>

LoveSingFade

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every time I think of TV licence fees my blood boils, fucktub standard yet so thick skin to force us pay $110, still not enough, they also want the car radio license..

Fucking money sucker, look at PRC that produces high standard TV Program, did they collect a single cent from their own citizen? Imagine if they just collect $1 from a household, how much revenue the Communist gahmen will rake in?

Pay $110 and watch your ah hway ah lian std program?

and yet MDA is very proud of "The Little Nyonya" ? They thought all the audience are blind, go and compare with Taiwan, HK and PRC program la, Mediacorpse standard do not deserve for $110:mad:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yea, we really have to know what are these PSB programs? Can the govt give us a listing? I see Media corp artistes gallivanting all over the world enjoying themselves, eating all the nice food, and generally clowning around? How do all that benefit the licensees? Instead Singaporeasn look likely to miss the World Cup broadcast here...see article by Seah CN's Littlespeck..

http://www.littlespeck.com/new/CTrendsLifestyle-100102.htm

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I wonder what can they do to me if I don't pay despite their reminders. Charge me in court? Under which law?

Or they cut off my TV signal? But if I pay for cable TV I do not need to pay right? Or maybe I should opt to terminate Ch 5, 8 and whatever not...since they are crap programs on them anyways.

S

sammydaddy

Now they say the TV license fee is used to fund programmes like Little Nonya.
I did not know that Little Nonya also classified as educational programme.
It looks like they have run out of excuses to justify the $110/-.
I would be satisfied if they could just tell us that the fee is used to pay those corporate fat cats in Mediscorps.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder what can they do to me if I don't pay despite their reminders. Charge me in court? Under which law?

Or they cut off my TV signal? But if I pay for cable TV I do not need to pay right? Or maybe I should opt to terminate Ch 5, 8 and whatever not...since they are crap programs on them anyways.

You shld read carefully the TV licence. It says Licence to operate/own a TV receiver. Actually, not for the TV programmes you watch. So even if u subscribe Cable TV from starhub, but it is received via yr TV receiver, you pay.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
You shld read carefully the TV licence. It says Licence to operate/own a TV receiver. Actually, not for the TV programmes you watch. So even if u subscribe Cable TV from starhub, but it is received via yr TV receiver, you pay.

Some Made In China Handphones has TV capabilities. How come our MDA enforcement dogs dont go after the Ah Tiongs in Chinatown? I assure u, that most of them has these kind of HPs. And theyre watching our programmes for free!!!!!!

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some Made In China Handphones has TV capabilities. How come our MDA enforcement dogs dont go after the Ah Tiongs in Chinatown? I assure u, that most of them has these kind of HPs. And theyre watching our programmes for free!!!!!!

TV broadcast is different. You can receive live soccer matches via Internet too,and view them on yr LCD screens. I believe the HPs you spoke off are the same. but TV signals are diff. For TV you need a tuner and receiver.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
TV broadcast is different. You can receive live soccer matches via Internet too,and view them on yr LCD screens. I believe the HPs you spoke off are the same. but TV signals are diff. For TV you need a tuner and receiver.

Not true.

Made in Ah Tiong country Handphone can still watch "Together" at 9pm Channel 8.

Cheers

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
And if you ignore the summons, a warrant of arrest will be issued against you. Not paying your TV licence is a criminal offence. Not watching TV is no excuse. As long as there is a TV, working or non-working in your premises, you are obliged to pay for a licence which is use to create programs to bond all races together as one nation notwithstanding that the notion of one nation had just in recent years had been burdened further with the additional alien cultures of immigrants from PRC, India, Myanmar, Thailand Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines and Indonesians. It's a difficult job at best and it needs money.

So pay up or else

Last edited:

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pay money to watch shitty local MediaCorpse productions like Little Nyonya? Or maybe a classic like Phua Chua Kang? Terrible deal!

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it true that Little Nonya is the SGP version of Korean's DA Chang Jing?

If that is the case, Little Nonya is like an ugly stepson u wish u can disown. Da Chang Jin is rich in culture and in depth research went into the meticulous production. Little Nonya? 30 days to wrap up la!

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why you want to watch mediacock's program? there're at least one million programs on youtube.com, gougou.com, xunlei.com, tudou.com etc free of charge. program comprised of documentary, discovery channel, world news, xxx rated movie....

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is a criminal offence not to pay your TV....you are in the possession of a broadcast eqpt...which also known as the TV set...

I would gladly pay them if they have adult hour after midnight....:biggrin:

They have in the number of years , MDA & me, reach to point of issuing a warrant of arrest for me, for not paying...

Maybe, one day I flip my lid....I might just like them come arrest me... ha ha ha :biggrin:

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
buddy, if i really have no TV at hm?

If you really do not have a single TV set at home and you are the registered owner of the said premises, it is your sacred duty as a slave of the Pink Son of Heaven to provide that information voluntarily to the MDA failing which it is assumed that you have been operating a TV set sans payment demanded under the Broadcasting Act (Cap.26).

You are a liberty to challenge this assumption of course in our Courts. But please bear in mind the names JBJ, Chee Soon Juan and the Marxist conspirators!