• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Microsoft previews Windows 8

CheesePie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Microsoft previews Windows 8

Microsoft offers a preview of the new functions they are bringing to the latest version of the Windows operating system.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KlEFMoCGkFM?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>

Matt Warman
11:30AM BST 02 Jun 2011

Microsoft has offered its most extensive preview so far of the forthcoming Windows 8 operating system.

The new designs are heavily influenced by Windows Phone, with 'tiles' on a new homescreen that the company hopes will be useful for both tablets and traditional PC setups.

Steven Sinofsky, President of the Windows Division of Microsoft, said that although the new operating system should be equally at home on very different platforms, it was important that it was also "no compromise".

Bridging the gap between mobile and PC, Windows 8 will support both HTML apps, similar to the apps available on smartphones, and also the traditional applications that are familiar to users of Windows 7.

Details on more precise specifications and when the new software will ship are, however, not yet known. Microsoft has said that the new version of Windows will be less processor-hungry than Windows 7, and that more details will be revealed at a September developers conference.

Writing on the Windows blog, Julie Larson-Green said that Windows 8 was "reimagining" the 25-year-old operating system. She highlighted the new interface, touch optimisation, the ability to size two apps neatly on a single screen and the speed of switching between apps.

Some bloggers, including the influential John Gruber, claimed that Microsoft's bid to use one OS for both tablets and PCs was a mistake, while others praised the software giant's genuinely novel approach.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Bill Gates can take his OS and stuff it. The world has moved on. MS is irrelevant.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bill Gates can take his OS and stuff it. The world has moved on. MS is irrelevant.

Microsoft: Windows 7 Fastest-Selling OS Ever

By Ian Paul, PCWorld Mar 4, 2010 8:15 AM

Microsoft has sold 90 million copies of Windows 7 to date, making it the fastest-selling operating system in history, according to Peter Klein, Microsoft's chief financial officer. Klein made the comments earlier this week while speaking at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference. While most of what Klein had to say dealt with the Microsoft's financial expectations, the company's top number cruncher did discuss a few interesting things about Microsoft's product outlook for the coming year.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/190797/microsoft_windows_7_fastestselling_os_ever.html

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Me got real bad feeling bout dis...another Vista in de making...fuck lah jus gib me an os so i can play my games in peace...

youallhumsup

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
11131982af27e67c49abc95b1d6d13463359a808.jpg

"What Microshit did not say (too embarassing) is that 90 trillion of windows 7 users are using pirated copies. As hard as they are trying to beat piracy with their WAT update, they have failed to do so and instead infuriated genuine buyers. Yepp my other OS is a pirated Windows 7. Hahahaha"

youallhumsup

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Question posed by a user

<table class="messageType"><tbody><tr><td>Question</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Avoid WAT Update on Microsoft Genuine Site and Windows/Microsoft Update(Update KB971033)

Applies To: Windows | Other/Unknown | Windows Update
This update installed fine. I was able to restart my PC several times. Upon restarting after the third time, however, my PC boots Windows 7 in a loop. All I see is the Windows 7 Boot logo. I had to reinstall Windows 7 to fix the problem. And yes, my system was verified as genuine by the Windows Activation Technology Update. I was not even able to use System Restore. Microsoft please investigate.

My Specs:
HP Pavilion dv4-1225dx
AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.1 Ghz
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM
AMD 780G Motherboard
ATI RADEON HD3200 Graphics
250 GB 5400 RPM HD

youallhumsup

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Trying to be smartass ah neh trying to help

Hi itjamesw09,

Let us try reinstalling the update manually which is causing this issue.
If you are not able to boot to the desktop, you may follow the instructions to boot the computer in safe mode.

1. Turn the computer on or Restart the computer
2. Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears.
If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
3. Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
4. Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

If you are able to boot the computer in safe mode you may go ahead and perform clean boot procedure by following the instructions below.

Step 1: Perform a clean boot
Step 2: Enable half of the services
Step 3: Determine whether the problem returns
Step 4: Enable half of the Startup items
Step 5: Determine whether the problem returns
Step 6: Resolve the problem
Step 7: Reset the computer to start as usual

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

After checking the issue, put the computer back to the Normal mode.
Uninstall or update the program which is causing the issue.

Please post back and let us know if this has helped to resolve your issue.

Regards,
KarthiK TP

youallhumsup

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Instead ah neh kena F*** by the TS

You dont understand my problem. The update bug prevents the machine from even booting into safe mode, performing startup repair, or doing any repair short of reinstall. It renders Windows 7 installs dead. I tried this same update on a different machine. It rendered that machine unusuable. Had to reinstall Windows 7.

youallhumsup

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Had exactly the same problem about 2 weeks ago after installing several updates on 2 computers. All I was seeing is Windows 7 logo. I had to use system restore to fix the problem. Interestingly, after installing the same updates once again the systems work well.

youallhumsup

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

WAT killed my system, I have a 100% genuine installation with a retail key. No OEM SLP/SLIC, just a full version key and my windows died, no options but to reload and the ms answer is to install WAT again and experiment? I will only install WAT when it does something for ME and I am assured it won't break my system, I am not going to beta test it for you (not again at least).

youallhumsup

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WAT apparently has issues. I am verifying with my clients that is update causes problems with their machines as well. I do computer repair work and the only solution has been to reinstall. We have tried repairing the installation, system restore and other methods. Nothing has worked, short of reinstalling. Microsoft needs to get their act together. They are breaking systems that are fully genuine.

youallhumsup

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ah neh's reply to the TS

Hi, the first sentence of this response to the attempt to help you, is stolen from every response I have had to make to any company's alleged support in the past 5 years. Only Adaptec back in '93 on their ultra-wide scsi adapter, and Netzero five years ago, when I finally got connected to a live tech in their NYC techcenter, have done well by their claims of expertise.
You can imagine my exhultant shout of gratification upon reading your statement... too bad for us that's how it really is. Most support personnel at every company 1) don't understand our language and 2) read from a script with very little technical expertise. Too bad.
I was prompted by my AV program ESET, to get this 971033 for my W7 x64, and when I read its statement of purpose, ... no way!
Linux breaks regularly, but at least they don't have my $.
Good luck to all.

DrWattsOn

youallhumsup

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

WAT is a joke. Bought Win7 Ultimate from Wal-mart. Used it to upgrade from vista home basic. Fine, for about a week. Then all of a sudden I'm getting not genuine notices. This happened three times. So I did a Dban on the HD, then performed a clean install. I stayed genuine for about a week, then, yes you guessed it, NOT GENUINE MESSAGES again. Installed one last time and this time I went about two weeks before The GENUINE WINDOWS disappeared from my system and was replaced by a "____ days to activate message." Once again put in the key and went three days. Got tired of it, removed WAT from system and don't give a dang. Windows IS a great prouduct, but in microsofts hurry to compete with MAC and Ubuntu, Fedora, and the like, they release stuff way to early. And as for counterfeit windows, the reason 1 in 4 people aren't genuine is because of BS like WAT. Get your act together. I want my $179.00 back BTW.

youallhumsup

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes, the best WAT fix ever....Ubuntu 10.10 or Fedora(Red-Hat) 14. At least if Linux "breaks", as DrWattsOn put it, it is an easy fix.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal

We all know gamers will shun OS Macs like a 60 year old whore with syphillis. Not to mention hackers have consistently found the OS system the easiest to hack.

youallhumsup

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What Microsoft won't tell you about Windows 7 licensing

What Microsoft won't tell you about Windows 7 licensing

11227022adf5adc15f9a8007c303b2d321a69792.png