• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dying without next-of-kin

ThePlen

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://blogs.straitstimes.com/2011/6/2/dying-without-nok

I ENCOUNTERED a case just a few days ago.

The ambulance had picked up a man in his 70s by the roadside at Jalan Bukit Merah. He was suffering from bleeding in the brain and was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit when he arrived at the Singapore General Hospital.

As he was unconscious, there was no way for us to find out any information from him.

He had nothing on him – no identity card, wallet or handphone. All he had by his side when he was picked up were two packets of food.

Since he was found at Jalan Bukit Merah where there are lots of rented flats, my first thought was that he had gone out to pack food for his wife, who could be bedridden at home. I was worried about the old man’s wife. I also wondered if he had children and if they knew he was missing.

Every month, about six elderly Singaporeans die without next-of-kin (NOK) to claim their bodies. (See report here.)

Here at the Medical Social Workers (MSW) department where I work, it is our responsibility to establish patients' identities and trace their NOK with the help of the police.

If no NOK can be found to claim the body, we would source for a charitable undertaker for the body to be cremated according to religious rites.

With no information on the name and address of the old man picked up at Bukit Merah, we were unable to call his neighbouring social services centres or voluntary welfare organisations, conduct a home visit, or go around the area to ask if anyone knew him.

While discussing what we could do, the nurses informed us that his blood pressure had dipped and he could pass on anytime.

We immediately called the police to request for finger-printing to establish his identity, and shared our concerns and fears that he could have been packing food for his wife when he was found unconscious.

Fortunately, the police managed to contact his brother, who in turn managed to persuade the patient’s son, who he has not seen in 20 years, to come and see the patient for the last time.

The old man passed on shortly after his son arrived.

We found out the old man stayed alone in a rented flat and worked as a hawker assistant at the neighbouring coffeeshop. He had just finished work that day and packed all the leftover food into a tingkat and two lunch boxes, before making his way home.

It was supposed to be his dinner, a dinner he never had.

I don’t watch “emo”, teary dramas on TV as I’m already dealing with too many emotions every day at work. I find it difficult to bring the emotions home and watch something that will remind me of all the patients and their problems. There is just too much emotional burden to bear.

My job has taught me that life is too short to keep looking back. You can only move forward and live each day like there is no tomorrow. To be able to help others is also a blessing.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Fortunately, the police managed to contact his brother, who in turn managed to persuade the patient’s son, who he has not seen in 20 years, to come and see the patient for the last time.

Remind me of a saying...gib birth 2 a pc of char siew at least still can eat...:rolleyes::oIo:

Last edited:

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
chip implant for all eldershield holders ...cost of implant be deducted from CPF else next of kin to bear cost...else 人道毁灭