• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New MP to go on maternity leave

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
20110530.143528_simann.jpg

SHE is Singapore's first pregnant Member of Parliament (MP). And she may soon be the first political office bearer to go on maternity leave.

Newly elected MP and now Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Law and Education Sim Ann, 36, announced on her Facebook fan page yesterday that she was expecting her third child.

In a note entitled "Something to share with my friends", she said she is due to deliver in late November.

Ms Sim, who used to be a senior director at the National Population and Talent Division, told The New Paper over the phone: "There's a first for everything. If I'm the first pregnant MP, then so be it. I'm pretty sure I won't be the last."

She said she and her husband, Dr Mok Ying Jang, had "always wanted" three kids.

They have a son, 7, and a daughter, 4.

But baby No. 3 took a while in coming because their careers were "intense" by the time their daughter turned 2, she said.

From 2007 to 2009, Ms Sim was based in Shanghai as part of her secondment to International Enterprise Singapore while her husband was in Hong Kong.

Her husband relocated back to Singapore after the recent General Elections.

Ms Sim has just finished her first trimester, and said she feels fine, although she's "a little hungrier" than usual these days.

But was she worried about campaigning while pregnant?

Ms Sim said she had thought it through carefully. She had found out about her pregnancy shortly before the hustings.

"I wanted to make sure my pregnancy was going okay, but at the same time, I had made the commitment to stand as a candidate," she said.

With the assurance of her obstetrician, she went ahead, although she was careful not to over-tire herself.

She said the others in the Holland-Bukit Timah GRC People's Action Party team, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, Mr Liang Eng Hwa and Mr Christopher de Souza, knew about it.

"The three men were all very gentlemanly, and excited for me," she said.

She intends to work up to the point of delivery, although she expects to be "temporarily out of action" shortly afterwards.

Her Facebook note assured residents that the other GRC members would conduct meet-the-people sessions (MPS) in Bukit Timah on her behalf until she returns to work.

Baby bump

She wrote: "Until the due date, I plan to carry on as per normal with my duties in the constituency - that is, me plus a baby bump."

Mr Liang told The New Paper last evening that the team was "really happy and glad" to hear the news.

"We are a team, so we work together. In her absence, we will be more than happy to cover her MPS duties," he said.

This, however, means there will be some weeks that he will do two MPS sessions but he insisted "it's no problem at all".

Sharing Ms Sim's joy was fellow newly elected MP, Ms Low Yen Ling, 36. She too has two children aged 7 and 4.

Ms Sim and Ms Low have a lot in common, and they both want to ensure that their children have a conducive family environment in spite of their hectic schedules.

"Among the female MPs, we have a support network where we encourage one another," said Ms Low.

"Sim Ann's a very capable lady with proven ability in juggling various roles."

So are the two MP mummies planning anything for their children?

"Play-dates," said Ms Low, laughing.

This article was first published in The New Paper.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pay her $16,000 and is absent for 4 months....60% your hard earn money gone to wast!!

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
personally set example - have more if you can...but of course with her pay + her hubby's pay...they can afford to raise a soccer team loh...

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dun some company have some agreement that must work for 1 year then can be pregnant?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pay her $16,000 and is absent for 4 months....60% your hard earn money gone to wast!!

Funny that the article never mentions if the MP is from the PAP:confused:

The GRC system allows non-essential people to sneak into the government. Though surprised that LKY selected someone who will be on holiday for 4 months. He's always boasted that the people he hand pick were the bestest & most capable:rolleyes:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Funny that the article never mentions if the MP is from the PAP:confused:

The GRC system allows non-essential people to sneak into the government. Though surprised that LKY selected someone who will be on holiday for 4 months. He's always boasted that the people he hand pick were the bestest & most capable:rolleyes:

In the year 2016 all female candidates must pass a no pregnancy test ( that includes Sylvia):biggrin:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
36 year old so old liao still want kid? Could it be a mistake?

No mistake. All MPs must have exactly the number of children their party dictates.

When Pap said stop at 2, all MPs then used condom. When they said have 3 or more, then MPs have to fuck every night.