• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

IRAS deducting money without consent?

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just want to highlight an issue that I just discovered today:

(1.) For the past 9 years that I have been filing my income tax, the notice of assessment and/or IRA8 will be sent to me first before deduction is made from my bank account (if paying by giro, whether lump sum or by installment)

(2.) Today I discovered that for year of assessment 2011, they are now making "provisions" and deducting money from my bank account without informing us through any media and wrongfully without consent. you will see this under the payment plan option once you are logged into your account:

"This plan includes your provisional tax for Year of Assessment 2011 which is 298.80. An adjustment will be made to the instalment amount when your assessment is finalised. "

Therefore if you paid $500 in taxes last year, they will deduct the $500 first by GIRO and refund/request the top up ONCE YOUR ASSESSMENT IS FINALISED??
Why are they doing this without seeking our consent first? Why is there a need for our tax account to have a Credit balance???

Any brothers out there experiencing this stupid problem?

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wah lao, the amount you pay in taxes is very embarrassing...

Anyway call IRAS and tell them you want to make a one time payment for the year, then you no need to come here and KPKB over that kind of peanuts.

I'm sure your likely retort is to come back and tell us that the amount was your "friend's" or that you erroneously left out a few zeros, but of course, I encourage you to try harder and be original.

Gosh, I don't even live in SG and I pay more in IRAS to the SG government than you.

Last edited:

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
I paid about $500 plus for ya 2010, low so what? i am just highlighting the fact to others that this is a new thing IRAS is doing...come let me take your money out from your bank without your consent can? piece of shit totally missing the point...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.... they are now making "provisions" and deducting money from my bank account without informing us through any media and wrongfully without consent. ....

Call me old fashion but I don't trust anyone but myself to have access to my $$$ in my own bank account.

If you avoid GIRO you'll sleep better at night. Don't be lazy when it comes to managing your funds, monitoring & paying bills is all part of life. We all know how honest the gov't is but there are always honest mistakes :rolleyes:

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Call me old fashion but I don't trust anyone but myself to have access to my $$$ in my own bank account.

If you avoid GIRO you'll sleep better at night. Don't be lazy when it comes to managing your funds, monitoring & paying bills is all part of life. We all know how honest the gov't is but there are always honest mistakes :rolleyes:

Well said, bro. TS is trusting his money with the state mafia by setting up GIRO payment for them. That is very very dangerous. Everyone should know that even if you write a cheque to pay for your taxes, they will take note of your bank account and will not hesitate to appoint the bank as collection agent in future if you default. Not that they got no resources to find out about all your bank accounts but it takes time for them to write to all the banks to reveal your accounts, by then you would have sufficient time to close them. That is why it is always, always advisable to pay your taxes by CASH at the post office, even if the amount is in millions. Now you know why they gave you the sweetener of paying in instalments by GIRO. You can do that, but do more work by transferring only the actual amount to that bank account when they are going to deduct that instalment.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I paid about $500 plus for ya 2010, low so what?

It that's all you paid in taxes you're obviously earning chickenshit! :eek: You ought to be ashamed of yourself. :rolleyes:

You should spend your free time looking at ways of earning more money instead of wasting it complaining about the IRAS!

potato29

Alfrescian
Loyal
this happen to me too. when i asked them to refund my money they gave me the run around. it took awhile before i got my money back.
the lesson learned is DO NOT SIGNUP FOR GIRO. they tell u it's to pay your taxes but in actual fact you authorize them to deduct money from your account irrespective of whether u need to pay taxes.

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just want to highlight an issue that I just discovered today:

(1.) For the past 9 years that I have been filing my income tax, the notice of assessment and/or IRA8 will be sent to me first before deduction is made from my bank account (if paying by giro, whether lump sum or by installment)

(2.) Today I discovered that for year of assessment 2011, they are now making "provisions" and deducting money from my bank account without informing us through any media and wrongfully without consent. you will see this under the payment plan option once you are logged into your account:

"This plan includes your provisional tax for Year of Assessment 2011 which is 298.80. An adjustment will be made to the instalment amount when your assessment is finalised. "

Therefore if you paid $500 in taxes last year, they will deduct the $500 first by GIRO and refund/request the top up ONCE YOUR ASSESSMENT IS FINALISED??
Why are they doing this without seeking our consent first? Why is there a need for our tax account to have a Credit balance???

Any brothers out there experiencing this stupid problem?

This is normal. IRAS will refund you by cheque for any excess deduction after they made the actual assessment.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It that's all you paid in taxes you're obviously earning chickenshit! :eek: You ought to be ashamed of yourself. :rolleyes:

You should spend your free time looking at ways of earning more money instead of wasting it complaining about the IRAS!

hi there

1. honest, you are some mouthful!
2. what is so wrong paying a lesser amt tax.
3. the person could have tons of reliefs and deductibles.
4. even if not, he is just doing some job to survive.
5. not every sheep is as privileged as you.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hi there

1. honest, you are some mouthful!
2. what is so wrong paying a lesser amt tax.
3. the person could have tons of reliefs and deductibles.
4. even if not, he is just doing some job to survive.
5. not every sheep is as privileged as you.

you want some pity toward fellow forummers, you are in the wrong forum.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IRAS has been extremly dirty and smelly to honest living people like you and me, deducting our tax without prior consent, on the other hand they has been extremely kind to some groups of people, especially those doing small business but did not declare taxes. Same for HDB has been very dirty to some people and kind to others who sublet flats illegally .

Z

Zombie

No Giro = No Instalment. IRAS will compute your tax asap and send you the notice. You must pay every single cent within 1 month.

Giro = 12 instalments from May to Apr. You pay 1/12 each month based on previous year's tax. IRAS will take their time to compute your tax and adjust accordingly. If you have a stable job with steady income flow and no major changes to your tax benefits, it is unlikely to see credit tax balance.

I believe you signed up for giro last year, which is why tax instalments were spread over the remaining months of the year. But this happens only in the first year.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
The powers of IRAS are wide-ranging and are not restricted to changes in giro instalments

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans are about the only people in this world who are naive enough to believe that the government would govern in the interest of the people. :rolleyes: