• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

President Hopeful - 'I've never followed my party'

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
20110527.145528_20110527-tanchengbock.jpg

YES, I was a People's Action Party (PAP) Member of Parliament.

But I'm no yes man, declared Dr Tan Cheng Bock, 71, former MP for Ayer Rajah.

As the first person to indicate his interest in running as a candidate in the coming presidential election, he told The New Paper yesterday: "If the issue at stake is wrong, irrespective of my party or the government, I will tell them."

But is he just saying this because it's the popular thing now to be seen as a contrarian?

"No, it's not a popular thing, it is my style," said the former MP, who retired in 2006.

"If you go through my history, you would know that I did (so) all these years ago. I'm not just doing it now.

"I've never followed my party... I'm no yes-man, I've never been a yes-man."

Dr Tan is not one to shy away from having a different opinion from the ruling party.

In the early 1980s, he locked horns with then-deputy Prime Minister Goh Keng Swee who was also Education Minister.

Dr Tan earned the ire of Dr Goh after suggesting that streaming in schools could stratify society and create class divisions.

In another controversial standoff in 1992 over the Nominated MP scheme, he was one of several PAP MPs who argued vigorously against the scheme. But he was the only PAP man who voted nay.

When he urged the Government to tone down repeated calls to attract foreign talent in 1999, it drew rebuttals from several senior government ministers, including then-Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew.

He resigned from the PAP, his party of more than 30 years, earlier this month.

By not belonging to any political party, he meets one of a list of stringent criteria for a presidential candidate.

As non-executive chairman of Chuan Hup Holdings since 1991, he also meets the criteria of having served for at least three years "as chairman of the board of directors or chief executive officer of a company incorporated or registered under the Companies Act with a paid-up capital of at least $100 million or its equivalent in foreign currency".

The Straits Times reported yesterday that Chuan Hup's annual report for the last financial year states its issued and paid-up capital as US$152 million ($190 million).

The current term of President S R Nathan ends on Sept 1 and the presidential election has to be held not more than three months before that.

The Elections Department said in a statement yesterday that applications for the certificate of eligibility from the Presidential Elections Committee can be made from next Wednesday to the third day after the Writ of Election is issued.

Despite his background, Dr Tan will not be contesting as the Government's candidate.

"I'm not sponsored by anybody but myself...I'm not sponsored by the PAP. The Government would have its own candidate," he said pointedly.

Acknowledging that his background as a PAP member may colour how some Singaporeans perceive him, he said: "I think those who have followed my political life would have known that I don't believe in just blind loyalty.

"Because if my party is wrong, I'll tell them they are wrong. If they are right, I will support them.

"If ever I do stand, I hope Singaporeans will judge me based on my past performance and see whether I am the best candidate for the job."

He also stressed that it was important for a presidential candidate to be of an independent mind.

Independence

"You must be prepared to ask the relevant questions and also you must be of your own mind. A lot of independence is needed," he said.

He wanted to be upfront about his interest in standing as a candidate, he said, so that Singaporeans can study him with a critical eye and examine what he has done in the past.

While he has been mulling over his decision for "quite some time", the recent election helped make up his mind.

He said: "I noticed that the last general election has divided our country, polarised Singaporeans into two distinct groups: opposition and the ruling party. That is very sad."

If he wins, he hopes to be a unifying figure for all Singaporeans regardless of race, religion and political affiliation.

To achieve this, he said he would interact and be in touch with people, as he had done as an MP.

So a grassroots president then?

"I hope to. I think it's not difficult."

Others running?

NOW that Dr Tan Cheng Bock has declared his interest in the presidency, will more contestants throw their hats into the ring?

Some likely candidates include former NTUC Income chief executive Tan Kin Lian, 63, who had expressed interest in 2008 with the caveat that he would do so if 100,000 Singaporeans signed an online petition supporting him.

That year, he emerged as a civil society activist when he championed the cause of consumers who had lost money in structured products. He was also spotted speaking at opposition rallies during the recent election.

On his blog yesterday morning, he posted a link to a survey which asked people for views on Dr Tan.

But when contacted, all that Mr Tan would say was that he will not be contesting the election.

Another potential candidate is Mr Andrew Kuan, 57, former group chief financial officer of JTC Corp.

He was a presidential hopeful in 2005, but he did not qualify to run.

No comment

The Presidential Elections Committee said then that the seniority and responsibility of his position did not match up to what is stated in the Constitution.

When contacted, Mr Kuan said: "I have no comments at this moment."

It is not known if President S R Nathan, who has served two terms, will seek re-election.

[email protected]

This article was first published in The New Paper.