• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Something is horribly wrong with this cuntry...

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
...And I see indisputable evidence of it in my father.

He's slogged hard his whole life as a civil servant, not a high ranking one, but has never made enough to enjoy some basic luxury or even retire in comfort.

He has passed the official age of retirement and is re-employed back as an external contractor (with the same duties as before, though), and even after a lifetime of selfless hard work, we're now talking of DOWNGRADING our HDB flat because he can't keep up the mortgage any more. My parents have never gone for a tour beyond Malaysia. My father speaks of being let off any time and having to work as a bus driver in his old age, or worse.

What i can never get is why the people here, who have worked hard their whole lives, cannot even enjoy a decent retirement. In first-world cuntries it's a given that anyone who works hard will make enough to get decent houses and enjoy their later years, but not here. I dread my parents falling sick every day, because the hospital bills will wipe out our life savings. Is it the low wages, high cost of living, overpriced flats, high cost of education and healthcare? A bit of everything, I'd say.

That's why I must leave, and become a citizen of a truly first-world country as soon as possible. With more respectable wages and probably free healthcare, I can better support my parents. In a place where public services are provided for and hard work will find success, I'll ensure my children will do well too.

I must leave.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

He's slogged hard his whole life as a civil servant, not a high ranking one, but has never made enough to enjoy some basic luxury or even retire in comfort.

Why on earth did your father slog away as a civil servant all his life if it was blatantly obvious he wasn't making enough money for a comfortable retirement???:confused:

The only reason I can think of was that he lacked the drive and ambition to achieve financial independence. He only has himself to blame for his lot. Trying to lay blame on the country for a personal failure is nothing more than a standard cop out used by those who don't have the guts and gumption to make a success of their lives.

Your father is not alone though. Many Singaporeans point a finger at everyone else but themselves for their own personal failings. :rolleyes:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why on earth did your father slog away as a civil servant all his life if it was blatantly obvious he wasn't making enough money for a comfortable retirement???:confused:

The only reason I can think of was that he lacked the drive and ambition to achieve financial independence. He only has himself to blame for his lot. Trying to lay blame on the country for a personal failure is nothing more than a standard cop out used by those who don't have the guts and gumption to make a success of their lives.

Your father is not alone though. Many Singaporeans point a finger at everyone else but themselves for their own personal failings. :rolleyes:

Come now. There is no need for you to be so hard on him. He feels that as his father did not make it and because he lacks the opportunity in the silly country called Sillypore, he wishes to vernture out somewhere else where he feels he'll do better. I don't see anything wrong with that.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

He's slogged hard his whole life as a civil servant, not a high ranking one, but has never made enough to enjoy some basic luxury or even retire in comfort..... I must leave.....

I am not surprised. Once I told my buddies i am leaving (for good) to search for Happiness for my family.. They laughed.. Few yrs past.. they wondered how the hell i could afford to (fully) own our family car(s) and almost having an original land title on our dinner table... but choose to take more risks and borrow more.. for business startups & investments. They can laugh, as long as they have a job. Lets see about that in this crisis.

On the other hand (in Australia), we dont need to have a job to survive.. Centrelink is always there to help us..

depeche

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not surprised. Once I told my buddies i am leaving (for good) to search for Happiness for my family.. They laughed.. Few yrs past.. they wondered how the hell i could afford to (fully) own our family car(s) and almost having an original land title on our dinner table... but choose to take more risks and borrow more.. for business startups & investments. They can laugh, as long as they have a job. Lets see about that in this crisis.

On the other hand (in Australia), we dont need to have a job to survive.. Centrelink is always there to help us..

So you must be contributing enough tax for the centrelink? don't avoid too much capital gain tax alright...LOL

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He feels that as his father did not make it and because he lacks the opportunity in the silly country called Sillypore, he wishes to vernture out somewhere else where he feels he'll do better. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Agree and many are leaving.

Only problem is that if most of the people who are unhappy leaves, there will be less and less people left who will vote against the ruling party.

On the other hand, they are giving jobs and citizenship liberally to foreigners.So by leaving aren't we doing what they want-getting rid of people who are against them and replacing them with new citizens who will presumably vote for them?

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal

I guess someone hasn't learn the word "sensitivity" yet, even after he has grown and matured- apparently.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you must be contributing enough tax for the centrelink? don't avoid too much capital gain tax alright...LOL

No no.. avoiding is a dirty word.. it should be called "TAX PLANNING" :smile: Paying tax is alright lah... as long as I am able to get some tax rebate.. As advised by my tax accountant ( i paid $440 every yr!!), I can have Oakley Spec and Laptop every year... now i can even purchase a luxury car at pre-tax dollar .. Yahoooo !

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
No no.. avoiding is a dirty word.. it should be called "TAX PLANNING" :smile: Paying tax is alright lah... as long as I am able to get some tax rebate.. As advised by my tax accountant ( i paid $440 every yr!!), I can have Oakley Spec and Laptop every year... now i can even purchase a luxury car at pre-tax dollar .. Yahoooo !

i agree with you... pap singapore is not worth staying... i have since term it as No dignity, No pride, No loyalty... money talks in that land... pap style...

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
You talk like a loser. You better leave, else Singaporeans will have to support people like you 30 years from now.

It's because of you that your father cannot downgrade comfortably. Other Singaporeans would have already bought two subsidised (market, so be it) flats in their upgrading exercise. If not for you, they can downgrade and pocket about $200k to $300k and still live in a house which is big and comforable enough (1 bedroom and 1 study) for the old couple. But now you're there to occupy the study.

He has passed the official age of retirement and is re-employed back as an external contractor (with the same duties as before, though), and even after a lifetime of selfless hard work, we're now talking of DOWNGRADING our HDB flat because he can't keep up the mortgage any more. My parents have never gone for a tour beyond Malaysia. My father speaks of being let off any time and having to work as a bus driver in his old age, or worse.

What i can never get is why the people here, who have worked hard their whole lives, cannot even enjoy a decent retirement. In first-world cuntries it's a given that anyone who works hard will make enough to get decent houses and enjoy their later years, but not here. I dread my parents falling sick every day, because the hospital bills will wipe out our life savings. Is it the low wages, high cost of living, overpriced flats, high cost of education and healthcare? A bit of everything, I'd say.

That's why I must leave, and become a citizen of a truly first-world country as soon as possible. With more respectable wages and probably free healthcare, I can better support my parents. In a place where public services are provided for and hard work will find success, I'll ensure my children will do well too.

I must leave.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal

You may be paying "extra taxes" but at least if you don't have a job, you get payment from Centrelink to keep you going. In Sinkeeland, PERSONAL TAX isw low, more for the higher income individuals but you have a lot of hidden tax like COE, ERP etc and it is very easy to lose your job to a cheap FT, and if you don;t have a job in Sinkeeland, you die and the govt concept is, you die your problem. So which is better?

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
and still live in a house which is big and comforable enough (1 bedroom and 1 study)
[unquote]

you call that BIG and comfortable ???...

hee hee, by sinkee standard lah ... and a HDB flat overlooking east coast park has a 'magnificent view' worthy of nearly 1 million S$ ... :biggrin:

these ppl havent seen the rockies yet ... or been to china ... or taman negara m'sia rainforest ... totally brainwashed by PAP to be complacent & insular ... :rolleyes:

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
hee hee, by sinkee standard lah ... and a HDB flat overlooking east coast park has a 'magnificent view' worthy of nearly 1 million S$ ... :biggrin:

these ppl havent seen the rockies yet ... or been to china ... or taman negara m'sia rainforest ... totally brainwashed by PAP to be complacent & insular ... :rolleyes:

Right. And all 1 billion Chinese have an appartment with a view of the Great Wall, all 200 million Americans have one with a view of the Grand Canyon or Niagara Falls and all 20 million Malaysians have their condos with a view of the Taman NEgara rainforest.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree and many are leaving.

Only problem is that if most of the people who are unhappy leaves, there will be less and less people left who will vote against the ruling party.

On the other hand, they are giving jobs and citizenship liberally to foreigners.So by leaving aren't we doing what they want-getting rid of people who are against them and replacing them with new citizens who will presumably vote for them?

I'd say that you've got a point but the trouble is 66.6% of the imbeciles don't seem to realize that the PAP is taking them for a ride. That being the case, how much can the dissented minority do? So instead of suffering, the disadvantaged Singaporeans could look for opportunites for themselves elsewhere.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
You talk like a loser. You better leave, else Singaporeans will have to support people like you 30 years from now.

It's because of you that your father cannot downgrade comfortably. Other Singaporeans would have already bought two subsidised (market, so be it) flats in their upgrading exercise. If not for you, they can downgrade and pocket about $200k to $300k and still live in a house which is big and comforable enough (1 bedroom and 1 study) for the old couple. But now you're there to occupy the study.

If you are expecting a $200k bribe from the PAP government 20 years down the road, well keep hoping, dear. Hope they realise it and will give it to you.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
No disrespect, but if your father is passed the "official age of retirement" I would have thought he would have enjoyed the the HDB boom between the 70s to 90s? This group probably stood the best of chance of making real substantial capital gains, 2 bites at the HDB direct market when direct prices were relatively low and sale prices years later were definitely much higher, low interest rate HDB loans, secure civil service jobs. What happened?

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Right. And all 1 billion Chinese have an appartment with a view of the Great Wall, all 200 million Americans have one with a view of the Grand Canyon or Niagara Falls and all 20 million Malaysians have their condos with a view of the Taman NEgara rainforest.

going off orbit again ??.. you said one room and one study is BIG and comfortable... definitely in china.. that is not BIG and comfortable.. neither do the americans think that is BIG and comfortable...

Only in pap singapore despotic rule.. that is BIG and comfortable...:biggrin:

shockshiok

Alfrescian
Loyal
going off orbit again ??.. you said one room and one study is BIG and comfortable... definitely in china.. that is not BIG and comfortable.. neither do the americans think that is BIG and comfortable...

Only in pap singapore despotic rule.. that is BIG and comfortable...:biggrin:

Well said. in singapore and australia, standards of living is on the decline, but in US and Canada - it just gets better and better.