• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kangarooism defeats Alan Shadrake with great ease

S

suicidalpap

Court rejects Shadrake's appeal against conviction and sentence

SINGAPORE: Singapore's Court of Appeal has rejected the appeal by British writer, Alan Shadrake, against his conviction and sentence.

The 76-year-old author was sentenced in November last year to six weeks' jail and a fine of S$20,000 for contempt of court.

Shadrake was also ordered to fork out another S$55,000 in costs to the Attorney-General's Chambers.

He was found guilty of the offence due to 11 passages in his book, 'Once a Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice in the Dock'.

They were found to have undermined the integrity of Singapore's judicial system.

Speaking to reporters later, Shadrake said he had "no regrets."

"I expected this verdict to be confirmed by the appeal court and I'm not at all surprised. I am very relieved it's all over. I will carry on the campaign."

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is there a code in singapore prison, will the ah beng beat them and rape him?
I hope so, his book does nothing to help singapore opposition or freedom or anything, except make money for himself.
the people does not care if people are hanged, they only care if they can buy condo and brand stuff.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng says, "let him face the gallows himself and put that noose around his own neck - see he still dares to say "no regrets" or not?" :biggrin:

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Shakehead and Ravi are both the losers. Shakehead wants more publicity -perhaps a jaywalker taking on an Asian government - warranting a footnote in history; and this traitor Ravi hopes to get a name for himself for championing his former colonial master. May be he hopes he can get a better chance to migrate to Britain.

S

suicidalpap

Writer to be jailed for book on death penalty in Singapore
May 27, 2011, 6:07 GMT

Singapore - A British writer is set to begin a jail term next week for criticizing Singapore's judiciary in a book about the death penalty in the city-state after a court on Friday rejected his appeal against the sentence and a fine.

New York-based rights group Human Rights Watch condemned the court's decision.

'The prosecution of Alan Shadrake for doing nothing more than calling for legal reform is a devastating blow to free speech in Singapore,' its deputy Asia director Phil Robertson said in a statement.

'More broadly, until the government releases its iron grip on basic freedoms, the Singaporean people will remain all the poorer,' he said.

The judges justified the so far heaviest punishment handed down in Singapore for contempt of court.

'It is clear that debate on the death penalty as well as other areas of law has been - and will always be - open to all,' they said in their ruling.

'However, when conduct crosses the legal line and constitutes scandalising contempt, it is no longer legitimate,' they noted.

Singapore's High Court in its November 3 decision said 'Shadrake's technique is to make or insinuate his claims against a dissembling and selective background of truths and half-truths, and sometimes outright falsehoods.'

The prosecution had sought a longer jail term, arguing that Shadrake's book contained statements 'to challenge the rule of law by attacking the Singapore judiciary.'