• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Should Parents Pay For Their Childrens' Mistakes?

jw5

Loyal
Let's say you are eating at a hawker centre.
A family with a young kid walks past your table. The kid (not more than 5 years old) throws something into your food.
Would you expect the parents of the kid to pay for your food? If you were the kid's parent, would you pay? Or how would you try to resolve this matter?

Please share your experiences or comments, can be from either viewpoint.
I'm also interested in your views to what extent parents should be accountable for their childrens' actions if their children are not yet adults.

PS: I'm not a reporter. :o

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's put it this way. A parent puts a gun in the room of the kid. The kid shoots someone dead. Shud parent be responsible?

jw5

Loyal
Let's put it this way. A parent puts a gun in the room of the kid. The kid shoots someone dead. Shud parent be responsible?

Yes, if the parent put gun in the kid's room. No matter how old the "kid".

If the parent didn't put the gun in the kid's room, he should be responsible if the kid is not an adult. Otherwise no. In my opinion.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A family with a young kid walks past your table. The kid (not more than 5 years old) throws something into your food.
Would you expect the parents of the kid to pay for your food? If you were the kid's parent, would you pay? Or how would you try to resolve this matter? ,..
tink most parens wil pul kid n quikly wok away ...

if u confront dem, dey wil act blur ... n say notty kids oni la ...

if dey pay, dey wil pass u sum sarcastic remarks 1st ...

:o

jw5

Loyal
tink most parens wil pul kid n quikly wok away ...

if u confront dem, dey wil act blur ... n say notty kids oni la ...

if dey pay, dey wil pass u sum sarcastic remarks 1st ...

:o

This is a likely scenario, and is totally unacceptable.
That's one of the 2 reasons why I started this thread, that we have lost our sense of justice and fairness. Perhaps we never had it, I don't know.

The second reason is to seek views and comments on how accountable parents should be for their childrens' actions.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Firstly, there's such a thing as Parental (or Adult) Supervision.

Secondly, let's take a look at each child's mistake individually.

In the example cited, yes - the parent is responsible. The five year old through lack of parental supervision has violated someone else's right/property.

As for the case of the parent putting a gun in the kid's room, the parent is a nutcase. A gun, if not used in the right place (e.g. range) should be under lock and key.

Problem in public places in Sg, the maid is the one looking after the kid. Should the law hold the maid responsible, or the parent?

Cheers!

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Would you expect the parents of the kid to pay for your food? If you were the kid's parent, would you pay? Or how would you try to resolve this matter?

I'm also interested in your views to what extent parents should be accountable for their childrens' actions if their children are not yet adults.

lianbeng puts the same question back to u: "what would u do? u must have encountered similar experiences." :biggrin:

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

lianbeng heard that this case happened in the states - the parents were charged coz the kid was only like 6 yrs old?

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I am the parent, I'll apologize for my kid's insolent behavior and offer to pay for the food as compensation.

On the other hand, I'll not expect the parent to pay for my food. Kids are supposed to be mischievous, if they are not, then I'll worry.

Kids are a reflection of parents. Kids see, kids do, simple as that.

rofthelper

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have 2 kids, son below 5yo.

I will scold my son in front of them if he does that. Basic manners like this should be corrected early. I will offer to pay for the affected food. But if it's happened in restaurant, den lan lan apologize lor. Big damage leh. :biggrin:

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I will scold my son in front of them if he does that. Basic manners like this should be corrected early. I will offer to pay for the affected food. But if it's happened in restaurant, den lan lan apologize lor. Big damage leh. :biggrin:

lianbeng ask u, "what if...u r the victim? a small boy/girl abt 5yo walking beside his/her mom/dad suddenly throws a piece of tissue paper he/she had just blown his/her nose into right into ur bowl of laksa. extra wanton or harkau?":biggrin:

Last edited:

rofthelper

Alfrescian
Loyal
lianbeng ask u, "what if...u r the victim? a small boy/girl abt 5yo walking beside his/her mom/dad suddenly throws a piece of tissue paper he/she had just blown his/her nose into right into ur bowl of laksa. extra wanton or harkau?":biggrin:

If there is intent, I will tell the parents abt his/her kid's actions. If the parents simply bo chap, I feel sorry for them.

It's juz a bowl of laksa. Even though abit angry, but I will brush it aside.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kids are supposed to be mischievous, if they are not, then I'll worry.

Kids are a reflection of parents. Kids see, kids do, simple as that.

1. Meaning if kids are mischievous because their parents are mischievous :confused:

2. Kids are a reflection of their parents to only a certain extend. The social environment inwhich these kid are nutured also influences their behaviour. Kids could have learned the mischievous behaviour from their peers or any outsider, not necssary because of the parents.

3. Kids are supposed to be inquisitive and playful, but if they are mischievous then I worry. :wink:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
If that happened to me as the victim and the parents act blur, I will approach the parents and inform them, then I walk away. But I dont except any recourse or monetary compensation.

Enjoy producing the little devil but donch want to take responsibility, not acceptable.

IMO, parents must apologise and pay for the damage. The process of apologizing to the affected party in public and showing responsibility for ones action would have a positive impact on the teaching the kid as well.

But if the parents act blur and the kid gets away with it, then next time maybe worse. As the saying goes, "Parents dont teach the kid, then let outsider teach the kid".:biggrin:

Nothwithstanding the legal age of an adult; some people never seem to grow up and still behave like a child. If parents discharge their responsibilities for their kids action base on the legal age, then these parents have to ask themselves if it is right, or if it is a convenient escape clause to be exploited.

dankos

sporeans will pay.

ah neh/ah tiong will act blur.

pap dogs and ministers will blame you for not looking after your bowl of noodles properly.

jw5

Loyal
lianbeng puts the same question back to u: "what would u do? u must have encountered similar experiences." :biggrin:

I have not encountered a similar experience.
But if I were the parent, I would offer to pay for the food.
If I were the guy eating, I would accept their offer to pay if I just started, but would probably decline if my meal was almost finished.
If they pretended not to notice what the kid did, I may point it out to them.
Fairness and justice in a society start from the little things.

jw5

Loyal

If in a reputable restaurant, they would probably offer to replace the dish.
Keep 2 happy customers.