• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore’s 5-Star reception for “Ah Tiong” job seekers in ShangHai

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore’s 5-Star reception for “Ah Tiong” job seekers in ShangHai

CIMG0245-300x225.jpg

Free flow of refreshments served to foreign job seekers
Singaporeans Netizens have expressed outrage following The Temasek Review’s (TR) report about the largest recruitment drive in Shanghai by Contact Singapore (a Singapore Government entity formed by the Singapore Economic Development Board and Ministry of Manpower – which aims to attract “global talent” to work, invest and live in Singapore).

Annoyed Netizens were questioning the need for Contact Singapore to visit Shanghai to recruit “talents” to fill those 200 over positions (on behalf of Singapore companies) when those positions could easily be filled by Singaporeans. It is not as if the companies were recruiting Nobel Laureates or top financial wizards.

CIMG0246-300x225.jpg

Job seekers were mostly PRCs in their 20s

One of TR’s correspondent working in Shanghai volunteered to visit the fair which was held on Sunday, 17th April, from morning to noon. The morning session focused on the electronic industry while the afternoon focused on the service and finance industries.

According to our correspondent who went in the morning to catch the action, the fair was held in the grand ballroom of Langham Hotel which is an upmarket five-star hotel located at Xintiandi, an affluent shopping, eating and entertainment district of Shanghai.

He observed that most applicants were pre-registered. There were nine Singapore-based MNCs and Singapore local companies participating in the fair. Some of the participating companies included Panasonic Asia Pacific, MediaTek, UniConnect, DBS Bank, OCBC, UOB, Far East Organization and others.

Most of the companies were observed to have tables with staff manning and answering questions. Companies also took turns to give “recruitment talks” inside the auditorium.

So, is Contact Singapore trying to recruit overseas Singaporeans to come back home and fill those positions?

CIMG0247-300x225.jpg

The room was packed with few hundred people

Our correspondent rebuked, “No. This fair is NOT to recruit Singaporeans. The room was packed. I reckoned there were few hundred applicants, mostly in their early twenties. All were Ah Tiongs (nickname for Chinese nationals) and I’m pretty sure I’m the only Singaporean, at least when I was there in the morning.”

The occasion was described as “grandiose”. There were free flow of refreshments served by waiters and waitresses, which irked our correspondent, “I wonder whether our government provides this type of five-star service to help our graduating students and out-of-job PMETs to get jobs or not?”

“Something is definitely very wrong with our policy. Why such efforts to recruit foreigners when most of these vacancies can be filled by Singaporeans?”, he added. “Furthermore, the five-star reception for the foreign job seekers really pissed me off. I am sure no such reception was ever extended to our own graduating students and unemployed PMETs. Who is paying for all these? Singapore taxpayers?”

CIMG0248-300x225.jpg

Waiters serving PRC job seekers in 5-star hotel

He also questioned the purpose of Contact Singapore, “I thought Contact Singapore (funded by the taxpayers) is a platform for Singaporeans to keep in contact with Singapore and wanting to come back to work in Singapore. Why is it in the business of recruiting foreigners to work in Singapore?”

At a TV forum on 12 Apr, PM Lee said that the Government is controlling the inflow of foreigners and watching them “carefully” on their impact to Singapore.

Five days later, they decided to have the largest recruitment drive for foreigners in Shanghai. Looks like the Government still thinks Singapore does not have enough foreigners and we have room to import a lot more.

Richard

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't forget

It's not easy to get into an University in China

If they are university graduates, then it is singapore's honor to absorb these talents.

1 Uni grad = 5 Poly grad (worth-wise)

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
University graduate also can't speak proper Engrish.
How to communicate with those FTrash Ah Neh from India ? Or Pinoys ? :rolleyes:
The amount of moolah spent by Contact Singapore is "peanuts" compared to the moolah burnt in last year's Youth Olympic Games :p