• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship

PocketRocket

Alfrescian
Loyal
There have been talk on the possibility of Singaporeans having dual citizenship. However, in the most recent discussion, the idea was canned by our govt (at least that was last I heard).

Anyone got further news on this? :(

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
There have been talk on the possibility of Singaporeans having dual citizenship. However, in the most recent discussion, the idea was canned by our govt (at least that was last I heard).

Anyone got further news on this? :(

Singaporeans don't want dual citizenship. They pursue citizenship elsewhere so they can cut their pink ICs in half and withdraw their CPF.

If they kept Sinkie citizenship as part of dual citizenship, their CPF funds would still be stuck in the hands of Ho Ching and company.

OO5O.jpg

PocketRocket

Alfrescian
Loyal
This might not be the case in all, for example people like myself who have only been working in Singapore for a very short while and dun have much in da CPF...

Others might have reasons stated in the other
post by me.

wallace

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans don't want dual citizenship. They pursue citizenship elsewhere so they can cut their pink ICs in half and withdraw their CPF.

There is nothing wrong in having that dual citizenship option.

It is up to the person upon acquiring a foreign citizenship, to decide if he should give up or retain his Singapore citizenship.

It is better to have this dual citizenship option than not having it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Countries like Canada allows dual citizenship just to retain her citizens. 30 years ago, Canada does not allow dual citizenship and the law was changed to allow dual citizenship.

In Australia, Phillip Ruddock , the Minister for Immigration and Multicultural Affairs, has introduced to Federal Parliament the Australian Citizenship Legislation Amendment Bill 2001. This amendment will allow Australia to have dual citizenship.

It is about time, Singapore, being a first world, to introduce dual citizenship.

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
At the very least, there is still options when come to dual citizenship rather than just holding 1, imo.:p i'm game for it. :wink:

lauta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually a lot of people are doing that. Just don't declare, they won't find out. They also don't want to find out because if they do, they know they'll force the hand of the citizen, who is more likely to give up the sinkee citizenship.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I support. Let's hope there are enough "I support" to make the government realize that the citizens of Singapore wants dual citizenship.

After the former PM, Mr. GCT alleged that those who emigrated are "quitters", I wrote to him to urge the government to consider allowing dual citizenship.

I believe that one of the major issues is National Service, because when a male individual has dual citizenship, it is difficult for the Government of Singapore to ensure loyalty, and enforce the law pertaining to NS.

I do hope that the Government of Singapore will allow dual citizenship to those who have completed NS.

PaiAndPai

Alfrescian
Loyal
allowing dual citizenship is a scam for citizens to:
1. keep their CPF intact in govt hands
2. singapore boys to do their obligations to the govt

do you think they really want to keep local talents? fundamentally, if someone want to move out, it is for a reason. ask around, you will get the reason. has that reason changed?
if not, what makes anyone think a person would want to stay, just because 'dual citizenship' is now allowed?

with dual citizenship, are you considered a SG citizen, with ties strong enough for you to defend singapore when required?

Adidas

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro PR,
nice of you to start this thread for discussion.
maybe 5 yrs down the road,it will be acceptable here.

kansas

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. keep their CPF intact in govt hands

Bro, Don't get confused. Dual citizenship is an option. You can choose to give up your Singapore citizenship OR keep your Singapore citizen.

If the person don't have cash in the bank and need to access the CPF funds, then he may consider giving up Singapore citizenship.

kansas

Alfrescian
Loyal
After the former PM, Mr. GCT alleged that those who emigrated are "quitters", I wrote to him to urge the government to consider allowing dual citizenship.

I believe that one of the major issues is National Service, because when a male individual has dual citizenship, it is difficult for the Government of Singapore to ensure loyalty, and enforce the law pertaining to NS.

I do hope that the Government of Singapore will allow dual citizenship to those who have completed NS.

I am very encouraged by this lastest interest and hope the government would allow dual citizenship.

I see several scenarios here:
  • Work overseas, Retire in Singapore
The person takes up foreign citizenship, live and work in the foreign country and enjoy full benefits of the foreign citizenship without losing Singapore citizenship. Upon retirement, he can come back and enjoy his retirement in Singapore.

Of course, in the event of war, famine or other disaster, the person can always come back to Singapore early.

• Work in Singapore , Retire overseas
The person takes up foreign citizenship (which would require him to spend some years aboard to acquire the citizenship) and once he has his foreign citizenship, he returns to Singapore to work. Upon retirement, he will return to the foreign country to enjoy his retirement. This option is to "secure" the foreign citizenship first as it may not be possible to acquire foreign citizenship in the future (either foreign country's rules and regulation change or the person is too old to qualify for foreign citizenship)

• Work overseas, Retire Overseas
The person takes up foreign citizenship and retains his Singapore citizenship. He will work and retire overseas. In the event of war, famine or other disaster in the foreign country, the person can return to Singapore.

• Work in Singapore, Retire in Singapore
The person takes up foreign citizenship and retains his Singapore citizenship. He will work and retire in Singapore. In the event of war, famine or other disaster in Singapore, the person can quit to the foreign country.

Don't forget dual citizenship is an option. You can choose to either keep your Singapore citizenship or give up your Singapore citizenship.

For those who do not have funds other than CPF and if you need to use the CPF funds badly, then you may have to give up your Singapore citizenship to access the funds. But don't forget, if you are a married couple, the husband can give up Singapore citizenship to use his CPF funds while the wife keep her Singapore citizenship so that dual citizenship benefits can still be somewhat enjoyed.

starless

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder why some of you want dual citizenship ??

The only thing I can think of is that, you want to have an option to get out .... meaning you have no qualms about renouncing SG as your homeland.

We cannot have the best of everything .... maybe you should all focus on if you are not a SG citizen, which country you wanna be ... Australia, US, Canada the fav place for SG peeps to go to ... what so gd about becoming a citizen or pr in those places ... :rolleyes:

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
There will be some implications the PAP must settle. Most foreign govts will not allow their citizens to serve a foreign army. So what happens to reservists who carry dual c'ships?

It's not gonna work for me. I want to get my CPF out and never be liable to report to camp again.