• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jehovah witnesses in singapore.. ? stories...

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really curious abt those Jehovah witnesses in sg.. Anyone heard any stories of bullying or persecution against them in sg.. ?

I have 1 friends in NS that serve 3 years of NS in jail and that's quite sad to know.. Will they face problems in finding jobs as well? One of my friend is a good student in poly but he said he cannot seem to get civil jobs..
Dunno if there is some kind of bias against them?

I asked if he got kena caught by ISD before but he said he has to be careful when his family meet for religious studies.. because they cannot meet in public places and will be caught if they do.. Also they cannot show their version of the bible to anyone or can be jailed/fine... He was kind of tearing when he talked abt it.. Sigh..

Anyone got any other stories to share about jehovah's witnesses?

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the back of my mind, I know they are still around. But why are they here is mystery to me. Started from a bible study group more then a hundred years ago, and based on the doctrines as 'dictated' by 2 man; Charles T. Russell and Judge J. F. Rutherford, how can anyone believe this warped shit, when the original mainstream bibles already demand so much faith!

It's like, "Jesus is God"
And they the JW go, "Nay, I kuai lan, Jesus no son of God, but just an angel!"

Ah, the drama from this religion is worst then any korean tv series. :rolleyes:

What do Jehovah’s Witnesses believe? Close scrutiny of their doctrinal position on such subjects as the deity of Christ, salvation, the Trinity, the Holy Spirit, and the atonement shows beyond a doubt that they do not hold to orthodox Christian positions on these subjects. Jehovah’s Witnesses believe Jesus is Michael the archangel, the highest created being. This contradicts many Scriptures which clearly declare Jesus to be God (John 1:1,14, 8:58, 10:30). Jehovah’s Witnesses believe salvation is obtained by a combination of faith, good works, and obedience. This contradicts countless scriptures which declare salvation to be received by grace through faith (John 3:16; Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5). Jehovah’s Witnesses reject the Trinity, believing Jesus to be a created being and the Holy Spirit to essentially be the inanimate power of God. Jehovah’s Witnesses reject the concept of Christ’s substitutionary atonement and instead hold to a ransom theory, that Jesus’ death was a ransom payment for Adam’s sin.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the back of my mind, I know they are still around. But why are they here is mystery to me. Started from a bible study group more then a hundred years ago, and based on the doctrines as 'dictated' by 2 man; Charles T. Russell and Judge J. F. Rutherford, how can anyone believe this warped shit, when the original mainstream bibles already demand so much faith!

It's like, "Jesus is God"
And they the JW go, "Nay, I kuai lan, Jesus no son of God, but just an angel!"

Ah, the drama from this religion is worst then any korean tv series. :rolleyes:

i heard they are illegal.. also "In 2008–2009, the Singapore government declined to make data available to the public concerning arrests of Jehovah's Witnesses."

so are there any secret arrests???

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
i heard they are illegal.. also "In 2008–2009, the Singapore government declined to make data available to the public concerning arrests of Jehovah's Witnesses."

so are there any secret arrests???

So serious meh? They are baned due to very simple reasons -

Singapore: Jehovah's Witnesses are banned in Singapore on grounds that it was prejudicial to public welfare and order. All literature of the Jehovah's Witnesses Watch Tower Society was also banned. The ban was believed to be based on the Jehovah's Witnesses' refusal on religious grounds to perform the two-year military service that is compulsory for all male citizens

If anyone kenna secret arrests, then I never heard before.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard they have a secret/extra bible as well. Basically, they believe Jesus visited America after its resurrection and thats what the extra bible talks about.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
becoz of one man or myth and a miserable fairy tale book and now cause so many trouble in this world...

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
officially JW is banned in singapore because they refuse to carry arms. thats is about it. Inability to carry arms means cannot serve NS, thus the detention. Some jobs involving security clearance or have at least served NS, these people cannot prove they serve.

Secret meeting is mainly due to the fact that they are officially banned. They are actually very nice people.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
anyone have personal contact with jw? looks like they really scared to go public or smth

Saw them in the city a couple of times. They are always dressed in white shirt with a bible in hand. Always thought they would come talk to me about their religion. But for some reason I think they could sense I won't be someone that is easy to be convinced. Have noticed that there are more "asians" among them now. Mostly Koreans I think, they used to come down here from Utah or something if I remember correctly.