• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

some successful migrants' stories

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
some of them really inspired me. here's some of the folks that i have met here.

- 50+ years old cambodian chinese lady that escaped from the khmer rouge's persecution. Came here as refugees and cant hold a conversation in english. She had sold away an eatery business years ago and made a good sum of profit. Now she is taking over a new restuarant at darra and will start her new business in afew weeks time.

- romanian couples that escaped from the ex-communist state. went thru' alot of difficult situation. Husband graduated from medicine studies but decided to go into property development in the end. Made their mark and fortune in real estate.

- young vietnamese girl, graduated as an optometrist, now have her own shop selling specs at a big shopping centre.

- PRC folks, these people are survivors and i am alway impressed with their tenacity to succeed. most of the businesses that they start are; foot reflexology, accupuncture, eatery as usual.

- my African neighbour from Ghana. whole family migrated here years ago and they had their fair shares of issues and barriers. it is rather interesting to gain an insight into an average african family. both the husband and wife are in the eletrical engineering and nursing profession.

the list goes on and on, i hope other old migrants can share their findings and perhaps inspire those seat-warming singaporeans that wanted to emigrate but was scared off by the rumour mongers here.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
i believe optometrists earn 80-100K straight off.... but you need both a degree and a masters. 5 years of study.

According the Australian newspapers, you need a A$ 107,000 per year in income to afford a A$431,000 property to qualify for a property loan. That is S$ 140K a year.

Good luck finding anything decent for that price within 10KM CBD Sydney, Melbourne etc.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i believe optometrists earn 80-100K straight off.... but you need both a degree and a masters. 5 years of study.

Yes.
My optometrist is a young Singaporean lady. She works at both the public hospitals as well as the private practice.

There are more and more asian pharmacists in Perth as well. Earning $80k is average.

Finally, you have the big earners like my Vietnamese dentist.

Imperialarse

Alfrescian
Loyal
According the Australian newspapers, you need a A$ 107,000 per year in income to afford a A$431,000 property to qualify for a property loan. That is S$ 140K a year.

Good luck finding anything decent for that price within 10KM CBD Sydney, Melbourne etc.

Why is Australia so expensive?

??????????????????

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal

$400k only and u cannot afford it?? what the heck have u been doing in sg? and u can't earn A$100k a year, geez, what kind of profession do u have? it is like a blangah worker that earns $300/mth and complain about the expensive $2 chicken rice.

no wonder u are so sore about not able to migrate to oz. lol!!

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are many success stories as these. Most of these people who came from troubled countries and poverty were willing to work hard and become successful in life. Compared to many Sinkees who are so afraid to take the bold step and require their nanny government to spoonfeed them.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hmmm.. I've recently found a decent ppty at 9km from CBD Melbourne in May/Jun 2009. The funny thing is.. the bank approved my loan above 1mil.. the credit dept must be shot !

Oh dear, this expensive country is going to give me an expensive return !!.. Pls dont blame them.. it is all China's fault ! kekeke..

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why is Australia so expensive?

??????????????????

Arsetralia is now one of the most costly country to live in. Very very expensive. Post people struggling with high cost of living. Now hear many Migration Agent in Singapore taking booking for Canada as alternative to Arsetralia.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Comparing apples and oranges?

1. Australian property prices are very high. That is true. And Aussie banks are more stringent in granting loans because of the high cost of financial loans. But, working couples are buying up to $500k properties. It is their choice. But, the smarter young people are starting early, buying investment properties first while living with their parents. It is part of their gearing strategy to paying less for their own properties later. At least, these people are doing something smart, that are positive.

2. How much does a fresh grad earn in Singapore, compared to Australia?

3. How much does a private property cost in Singapore, 10km from CBD? Perhaps the ones in Geylang cheaper.

4. It is possible to find 1or 2 bedroom apartments (over 75sqm) living space for $300-400k within 8km Sydney, in places like East Lakes, Alexandria, Mascot, Wollie Creek, etc.

5. In Perth, there is no problem getting a $430k 3bed 1bath villa "landed" property 7km from CBD. Comes with a mini front garden and rear courtyard.

Again. I have to state - Perth is not Sydney!

So, we can make ourselves miserable by comparing Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Singapore. But if you are earning money in each of these cities, it is not possible to compare accurately.

But in your case, retiring? You can forget about Australia. You cannot afford Australia anymore. Perhaps 6 months ago, or 6 months later, if the currency is in your favour. Fine.

Try USA. The dollar is devaluing.

Last edited: