• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Australian property prices set to rise by 20%.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good news axe168, I can see you smiling now. :smile:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/house-prices-set-to-jump-20091014-gwm3.html

House prices set to jump
CHRIS ZAPPONE
October 14, 2009 - 12:26PM
House prices may surge about 20 per cent or more in some of Australia's largest cities over the next three years, driven higher by on-going shortages.

Adelaide - previously considered among the more affordable cities - may lead the advances, with prices likely to be 23 per cent higher by June 2012 from a base of June 2009, according to the QBE LMI Housing Outlook.

Sydney prices may jump 21 per cent in that period, while Melbourne prices may be 19 per cent higher, the report said.

The increases are likely even with the expected rebound in interest rates as the economy recovers. The Reserve Bank last week lifted official interest rates from near half-century lows to 3.25 per cent and signalled more rate rises to come.

''While interest rates are forecast to rise over 2010-2012, the outlook for the Australian housing market looks positive,'' said QBE LMI chief Ian Graham.

''The current low interest rates will be the main driver for house price increases, which are expected to accelerate through to 2012, particularly in those markets with positive affordability and continuing undersupply of housing.''

Perth, Canberra lag

The report, prepared by real estate industry research group BIS Shrapnel, predicts Perth and Canberra, which have both seen huge rises in home values, will grow only 12 per cent in that time.

Brisbane can expect a 15 per cent rise, as can those living in Hobart, while Darwin prices may rise 17 per cent.

''Price growth in Perth is forecast to be influenced by a decline in investment in the resource sector after the record levels of recent years,'' said Mr Graham. ''Softer residential demand is also envisaged in Canberra due to weaker employment growth.''

Prices in the Australian housing market have been driven up by a chronic shortage of homes, estimated be about 56,600 in 2009.

The projected price increases will add to huge increases over the past decade.

Based on caculations from data contained in the report, provided by the Real Estate Institute of Australia and BIS Shrapnel, the median house price in Sydney increased by 101 per cent from June 1998 to June 2008.

Over the same 10-year period the median house price in Melbourne more than doubled, rising 116 per cent.

Brisbane values soared 202 per cent while Adelaide's increased 208 per cent during the same ten-year stretch. Perth's rose 211 per cent and Hobart's soared 203 per cent. The median house prices of Canberra increased 191 per cent, while in Darwin they increased 135 per cent.

[email protected]

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

House prices set to jump
CHRIS ZAPPONE
House prices may surge about 20 per cent or more in some of Australia's largest cities over the next three years, driven higher by on-going shortages.

Adelaide - previously considered among the more affordable cities - may lead the advances, with prices likely to be 23 per cent higher by June 2012 from a base of June 2009, according to the QBE LMI Housing Outlook.

Sydney prices may jump 21 per cent in that period, while Melbourne prices may be 19 per cent higher, the report said.

The increases are likely even with the expected rebound in interest rates as the economy recovers. The Reserve Bank last week lifted official interest rates from near half-century lows to 3.25 per cent and signalled more rate rises to come.

''While interest rates are forecast to rise over 2010-2012, the outlook for the Australian housing market looks positive,'' said QBE LMI chief Ian Graham.

''The current low interest rates will be the main driver for house price increases, which are expected to accelerate through to 2012, particularly in those markets with positive affordability and continuing undersupply of housing.''

Perth, Canberra lag

The report, prepared by real estate industry research group BIS Shrapnel, predicts Perth and Canberra, which have both seen huge rises in home values, will grow only 12 per cent in that time.

Brisbane can expect a 15 per cent rise, as can those living in Hobart, while Darwin prices may rise 17 per cent.

''Price growth in Perth is forecast to be influenced by a decline in investment in the resource sector after the record levels of recent years,'' said Mr Graham. ''Softer residential demand is also envisaged in Canberra due to weaker employment growth.''

Prices in the Australian housing market have been driven up by a chronic shortage of homes, estimated be about 56,600 in 2009.

Based on caculations from data contained in the report, provided by the Real Estate Institute of Australia and BIS Shrapnel, the median house price in Sydney increased by 101 per cent from June 1998 to June 2008.

Over the same 10-year period the median house price in Melbourne more than doubled, rising 116 per cent.

Brisbane values soared 202 per cent while Adelaide's increased 208 per cent during the same ten-year stretch. Perth's rose 211 per cent and Hobart's soared 203 per cent. The median house prices of Canberra increased 191 per cent, while in Darwin they increased 135 per cent.

[email protected]

A number of real estate agencies recruiting mandarin/cantonese speaking agents - so you know where the demand is coming from. And they are after properties in the posh areas.

If Sydney/Melbourne prices are too high, you can invest in cheaper states.

But Perth appears to be softening fast. Agriculture affected by the strong AUD, the lobsters and abalones are waiting for Asian seafood lovers to re-emerge.
Looks like I have to return to the 60s-70s building strategy - that is - cut cost houses.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
A number of real estate agencies recruiting mandarin/cantonese speaking agents - so you know where the demand is coming from. And they are after properties in the posh areas.

If Sydney/Melbourne prices are too high, you can invest in cheaper states.

But Perth appears to be softening fast. Agriculture affected by the strong AUD, the lobsters and abalones are waiting for Asian seafood lovers to re-emerge.
Looks like I have to return to the 60s-70s building strategy - that is - cut cost houses.

Yah I know, can't remember which thread, but axe168 did mention investing interstate can get some money off ATO. :biggrin: Sigh, problem is I don't have much $$ to start to play property like you guys. Been only working for 1.5 years here, and I din manage to save much before. Jibai, now regret go back work, should have stayed in Aust after my studies.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyo, I predicted this will happen yrs back, after the Sydney Housing Conference.. It is no surprise.. While most ppl expected it to drop horribly during the crisis.. I gathered all my last pennies to go for another huge borrowing.. Heng ah, I managed to squeeze into another property juz before the huge surge..

I'm in tonnes of debts now.. there is no smiling yet.. I can only smile if I convert the good debts into equity. Like I said, when the exchange rate hits 1.5.. I'll bring the bags of gold back to SG :wink: I'll call my ex-leader my big daddy... wearing white shirt and underwear again.. cheering for their effective management... Oh, hanging SG national flag with pride.. Hahaha.. returning CPF ? piece of cake !~ Err.. perhaps I'll go for M'sia 2nd Home... I'm spoilt with CHOICES !! hahaha..

House prices set to jump
CHRIS ZAPPONE

Perth, Canberra lag

[email protected]

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah I know, can't remember which thread, but axe168 did mention investing interstate can get some money off ATO. :biggrin: Sigh, problem is I don't have much $$ to start to play property like you guys. Been only working for 1.5 years here, and I din manage to save much before. Jibai, now regret go back work, should have stayed in Aust after my studies.

You dont have to 'save' to hv $$$.. You can spend or borrow for $$$ .. all you need is to talk big, let the banker know you have the money.. show them ya <engineered> bank account, payslip and assets... then borrow big time... once achieved adequate growth.. return the money and enjoy the profits... Of course, under the adverse condition, be prepared to be bankrupt :wink:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyo, I predicted this will happen yrs back, after the Sydney Housing Conference.. It is no surprise.. While most ppl expected it to drop horribly during the crisis.. I gathered all my last pennies to go for another huge borrowing.. Heng ah, I managed to squeeze into another property juz before the huge surge..

I'm in tonnes of debts now.. there is no smiling yet.. I can only smile if I convert the good debts into equity. Like I said, when the exchange rate hits 1.5.. I'll bring the bags of gold back to SG :wink: I'll call my ex-leader my big daddy... wearing white shirt and underwear again.. cheering for their effective management... Oh, hanging SG national flag with pride.. Hahaha.. returning CPF ? piece of cake !~ Err.. perhaps I'll go for M'sia 2nd Home... I'm spoilt with CHOICES !! hahaha..

Close to 1.3 now, Thinking very hard to buy SGD now ah. Another one I'm looking for is RMB. Not sure if that is a good bet. This continue, I can go back and have nice holiday. Haven't you heard about the FTrash talk? Go back as an FT lah. Probably get more respect that way. :biggrin:

You dont have to 'save' to hv $$$.. You can spend or borrow for $$$ .. all you need is to talk big, let the banker know you have the money.. show them ya <engineered> bank account, payslip and assets... then borrow big time... once achieved adequate growth.. return the money and enjoy the profits... Of course, under the adverse condition, be prepared to be bankrupt :wink:

I know what you mean with the "engineered" bank account. Show confidence and the bank will lend you big time. Over here I think the bankers are not as jibai face like in Singapore. If you show some confidence, don't act like a typical chinaman sinkie they will easily do what you want. I'm planning my move soon, thanks for all the tips you have been giving. After I earn my profits, lets go out for a coffee sometimes. :smile: Weird that this forum is the only place I'm aware of ex-Singaporean that are in Sydney. I'm surrounded by non-Singaporean for 1.5 years now. Feels good in a way.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know what you mean with the "engineered" bank account. Show confidence and the bank will lend you big time. Over here I think the bankers are not as jibai face like in Singapore. If you show some confidence, don't act like a typical chinaman sinkie they will easily do what you want. I'm planning my move soon, thanks for all the tips you have been giving. After I earn my profits, lets go out for a coffee sometimes. :smile: Weird that this forum is the only place I'm aware of ex-Singaporean that are in Sydney. I'm surrounded by non-Singaporean for 1.5 years now. Feels good in a way.

Remember : you have to proof your $$$ is stable & have a regular savings.. Maintain it for at least 6mths in the bank account you should be fine..

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hehe that is actually similar to what we are planning to get for our first home, as we don't intend to keep on moving here and there, so might as well get the 'dream home' in one shot.

Actually, I have no idea what I want in a dream home until I planned to build my own house. And I do not know what we think of until I left the low quality housing "condo" in Singapore and settle here.

Personally, the first home buyer grant was good when I was looking for a small place. No stamp duty. Then, with capital gain in the first property, I was able to unlock the equity to buy a piece of vacant land to develop a dream home. (save tens of thousands of dollars in stamp duties)

Eg.
Do you really want a garden, courtyard, an alfesco/jucuzzi area?

how many kitchens do you want? Remember, we have open kitchens over here.

Do you want ducted vacuum cleaning, a PA announcement system to call people when dinner is ready , etc :-)

What is an ideal bathroom?

European tiles, floor to ceiling.

Even the positioning of the clothes line is pre-planned.

Where is cedar wood, jarrah wood used?

Even things like the use of stainless steel screws.

I even have a laundry chute that will take used clothings thrown from the second storey. :biggrin:

If you plan to add a lift in your house (popular with Indonesians), make sure the electric room is away from the living quarters.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah.. why land so small ? selling at $719k? God, i'll be really rich, if Brisbane and Mel reach this standard... I'll have to pray harder, i believe it is coming..

Excuse me! ... this is prime strata survey land in the cuppuccino precinct (Mt Lawley), about 5kms from CBD. It is only a few hundred metres from where former US Secretary of State and our foreign minister had kopi !!

$719k is because of the high quality European finish. Even that red brick outer wall is of good quality, not the type of rubbish used in Singapore.

Even the paving - look at the combination of pavers used.

It is hard to find fault with this villa, except for the water heater.

Surrounding area ....

The European style townhouses nearby cost $1million each. The developer took 3 years to built, and he has a fascination for details and quality.

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
OK ok.. now ya talking.. high class area.. oic.. and high class finishes too.. I prefer to be in a high class area, good location but not the finishes.. I am a simple man with a simple mind.. my standard is way under the Australian Standard heehee.. :smile:

Excuse me! ... this is prime strata survey land in the cuppuccino precinct (Mt Lawley), about 5kms from CBD. It is only a few hundred metres from where former US Secretary of State and our foreign minister had kopi !!

$719k is because of the high quality European finish. Even that red brick outer wall is of good quality, not the type of rubbish used in Singapore.

Surrounding area ....

The European style townhouses nearby cost $1million each. The developer took 3 years to built, and he has a fascination for details and quality.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OK ok.. now ya talking.. high class area.. oic.. and high class finishes too.. I prefer to be in a high class area, good location but not the finishes.. I am a simple man with a simple mind.. my standard is way under the Australian Standard heehee.. :smile:

106060276mm1255003860.jpg

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...RA,MOUNT+LAWLEY&c=16057392&s=wa&tm=1255682439

$349,000 A RARE FIND!
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...RA,MOUNT+LAWLEY&c=16057392&s=wa&tm=1255682439

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Personally I am not a fan of units or townhses.. because of limited development potential.. I rather pay abit more to get a sure bet or enjoy a nominal growth for better security.

Warren Buffet once said.. Rule No 1: "Do not lose money"
Rule No 2: "Remember Rule No 1"...
House is a safer bet :smile:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

Surrounding area ....

Sounds like something similar in Sydney would be $2million at least. I like the idea of building your own home. Buy your own land and "design" your place as you see fit. It can be very rewarding knowing that your home is the dream home you want rather then some developers idea. :smile:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Personally I am not a fan of units or townhses.. because of limited development potential.. I rather pay abit more to get a sure bet or enjoy a nominal growth for better security.

Warren Buffet once said.. Rule No 1: "Do not lose money"
Rule No 2: "Remember Rule No 1"...
House is a safer bet :smile:

I am a fan of villas and townhouses. :biggrin:
Buy a 870sqm block and demolish the old house. I have been approached by some retirees who are burnt in the GFC and need to downsize to retirement village. But these days, I just divide the block into 3 lots and prepare the lot to sell one by one.

2680051mm1250650624.jpg

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a fan of villas and townhouses. :biggrin:
Buy a 870sqm block and demolish the old house. I have been approached by some retirees who are burnt in the GFC and need to downsize to retirement village. But these days, I just divide the block into 3 lots and prepare the lot to sell one by one.

2680051mm1250650624.jpg

Wah..you are my competitor !.. I am doing the same too.. I have successfully obtained an approval for subdivision in 2006 for my 930m2 despite 2 neighbours' objection... I intend to do the same for Mel for my 923m2. :smile: I am reading the town planning act now, when it is time to subdivide into 4.. I'm ready... everything DIY... heehee.