• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Various Types of Migrants

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not everyone is built the same nor do they have the same mindset. So here are couple that I have come across.

1) George, a Malaysian with O levels used to visit his singapore cousins and thats when I met him playing football. He left for Auckland, with no visa and just a bag of clothes. Heard from his cousins that he was selling hotdogs near a park. Eventually got his papers after NZ gave ammnesty. This was in the 80s. Happily married with Ang Mo wife.

2) Charlie going to Canada with his bag and Axe landing in Darwin looking at the fan spin are two other great inspirational stories.

3) Husband and wife retirees on a holiday to Perth with their grownup children fell in love with the open spaces and set up a horticultural farm as hobby but business was too good and they now run a successful business. Both had nothing to do with horticulture or farming prior to this.

4) Medical doctor with a Special Needs child could not get visa in the 80/90s because foreign doctors with automaticcaly given negative points for pool to australia. Left his job as a doctor, worked in a different field for 2 years, qualified for VISA and migrated to OZ. Talk about love for his child. Those who are not aware - Special Needs children get great treatment and as brought as equals. The State pays for a dedicated tutor to sit in class with the child.

5) Husband/wife great career but one son had special needs. Packed up their bags and left for OZ. Even before landing, husband landed a plum role that was much better than in Singapore.

6) Malaysian boy working as teller in local bank, applies for Murdoch Uni. Goes over and works at Eagle Boy Pizza for income and fees. Buys a second hand car. Graduates, applies for PR, gets job and PR. New life.

In all the above cases, everyone of them had one notion - to move for good with little or no planning. Only the medical doctor in (4) had do some planning to qualify for visa.

Anyone else care to add to cases that are familiar with. Planned or otherwise.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
EXCELLENT!

How about the Malaysian accountant who came over to Perth, decide to be a magician as a hobby (later part-time) and find that he is more interested in the second career and is now a magician. His parents will be horrified if they found out. :biggrin:

Was that story from the local community newspaper?

Not everyone is built the same nor do they have the same mindset. So here are couple that I have come across.

1) George, a Malaysian with O levels used to visit his singapore cousins and thats when I met him playing football. He left for Auckland, with no visa and just a bag of clothes. Heard from his cousins that he was selling hotdogs near a park. Eventually got his papers after NZ gave ammnesty. This was in the 80s. Happily married with Ang Mo wife.

2) Charlie going to Canada with his bag and Axe landing in Darwin looking at the fan spin are two other great inspirational stories.

3) Husband and wife retirees on a holiday to Perth with their grownup children fell in love with the open spaces and set up a horticultural farm as hobby but business was too good and they now run a successful business. Both had nothing to do with horticulture or farming prior to this.

4) Medical doctor with a Special Needs child could not get visa in the 80/90s because foreign doctors with automaticcaly given negative points for pool to australia. Left his job as a doctor, worked in a different field for 2 years, qualified for VISA and migrated to OZ. Talk about love for his child. Those who are not aware - Special Needs children get great treatment and as brought as equals. The State pays for a dedicated tutor to sit in class with the child.

5) Husband/wife great career but one son had special needs. Packed up their bags and left for OZ. Even before landing, husband landed a plum role that was much better than in Singapore.

6) Malaysian boy working as teller in local bank, applies for Murdoch Uni. Goes over and works at Eagle Boy Pizza for income and fees. Buys a second hand car. Graduates, applies for PR, gets job and PR. New life.

In all the above cases, everyone of them had one notion - to move for good with little or no planning. Only the medical doctor in (4) had do some planning to qualify for visa.

Anyone else care to add to cases that are familiar with. Planned or otherwise.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysian Engineering student who became a well known chef - Chong Liew. Malaysian girl who is now a Federal cabinet minister - Penny Wong. Damn, they all seem to be Malaysians.

EXCELLENT!

How about the Malaysian accountant who came over to Perth, decide to be a magician as a hobby (later part-time) and find that he is more interested in the second career and is now a magician. His parents will be horrified if they found out. :biggrin:

Was that story from the local community newspaper?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysian Engineering student who became a well known chef - Chong Liew. Malaysian girl who is now a Federal cabinet minister - Penny Wong. Damn, they all seem to be Malaysians.

How about Malaysian boy that entered a singing competition and came 1st - Guy Sebastian. Malaysian girl that came runner up in a cooking competition - Poh Lin Yeow. Malaysian girl that is a successful businesswoman and married the former Premier of NSW - Helena Carr.

Yah, where are the Singaporean that migrated here and made it "big"? I suppose it all boils down to mentality and culture. The Malaysian, non-malays were never appreciated in their own country. They were treated like 2nd-class citizen, bumi, NEP quota etc. I suppose this forced/encourages them to seek better surroundings for themselves. Maybe in a couple of years time we will see a Singaporean doing the same, since most people in this forum is complaining about that now. :wink:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, that great stuff. I heard that Kamahl the singer was also ex-malaysian. Apparently the guy earns big bucks singing for the elite.

How about Malaysian boy that entered a singing competition and came 1st - Guy Sebastian. Malaysian girl that came runner up in a cooking competition - Poh Lin Yeow. Malaysian girl that is a successful businesswoman and married the former Premier of NSW - Helena Carr.

Yah, where are the Singaporean that migrated here and made it "big"? I suppose it all boils down to mentality and culture. The Malaysian, non-malays were never appreciated in their own country. They were treated like 2nd-class citizen, bumi, NEP quota etc. I suppose this forced/encourages them to seek better surroundings for themselves. Maybe in a couple of years time we will see a Singaporean doing the same, since most people in this forum is complaining about that now. :wink:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, that great stuff. I heard that Kamahl the singer was also ex-malaysian. Apparently the guy earns big bucks singing for the elite.

Don't know about Kamahl, but a lot of Malaysian singer made it in Taiwan as well. 阿牛,光梁。

Perhaps all this FTrash talk about Singapore government treating its own citizen as 2nd, 3rd class is a mastermind stroke by PAP to encourage Singaporean to make it big and survive overseas. It may be some sort of government "tough love" that creates the best, change the mentality of sinkies into 1st class citizen. :biggrin: "Vote for PAP, and you will be pushed to the extreme in the harshest condition possible!" should be their campaign slogan. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow, that great stuff. I heard that Kamahl the singer was also ex-malaysian. ...
tink u r rite ... he is x-msian ...

Kamahl
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kamahl
Birth name Kandiah Kamalesvaran
Born 13 November 1934 (1934-11-13) (age 74)
Origin Malaysia
Occupations Musician
Instruments Vocals
Labels Philips
EMI
Mercury Records
Festival Records
Dino Records
Readers' Digest

Early life

Born in Malaysia to Tamil Hindu parents, he is of Sri Lankan Tamil heritage. He grew up in Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur and studied at the Victoria Institution.

He arrived in Adelaide, South Australia in 1953 to receive a higher education at King's College (now Pembroke School), however, his arrival was not without prejudice on the part of an Australia still influenced by the White Australia Policy. This experience gave bite to his well-known quote: "Why are people so unkind?"

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

When these Malaysian Chinese left, UMNO was so happy that the threats of smart people have gone .... haha ... and they are left with incompetent people. Hurray! Thank goodness Australia accepted them. White policy or not.

I remember from about 10 years ago, a Malaysian Chinese who became the first CEO of Fujitsu DMC Consulting in NZ.

And as we know, Fujitsu Consulting is big in Australia. He has a niece in Sydney who told me how he was so poor when he went to NZ to study. He could not get into UM because of the Malaysian affirmative action. Luckily, he got a scholarship and kind relatives gave him some money. The rest are history. At one stage, he worked in Singapore because NZ was in recession. Because he was Asian Kiwi, SIA refuse to offer him the same expat benefits as his amgmo Kiwi peers.

I suspect that what Singapore is going through is that it is unable to advanced further, due to the govt policies holding the people back. So, they have to get cheap foreigners in for economic growth. At 5 million people, it is one bloody heavy island.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard the glass ceiling excuse before for migrating. Now you can hear it in Singapore as the FTs are here in a big way. DBS, SGX etc

When these Malaysian Chinese left, UMNO was so happy that the threats of smart people have gone .... haha ... and they are left with incompetent people. Hurray! Thank goodness Australia accepted them. White policy or not.

I remember from about 10 years ago, a Malaysian Chinese who became the first CEO of Fujitsu DMC Consulting in NZ.

And as we know, Fujitsu Consulting is big in Australia. He has a niece in Sydney who told me how he was so poor when he went to NZ to study. He could not get into UM because of the Malaysian affirmative action. Luckily, he got a scholarship and kind relatives gave him some money. The rest are history. At one stage, he worked in Singapore because NZ was in recession. Because he was Asian Kiwi, SIA refuse to offer him the same expat benefits as his amgmo Kiwi peers.

I suspect that what Singapore is going through is that it is unable to advanced further, due to the govt policies holding the people back. So, they have to get cheap foreigners in for economic growth. At 5 million people, it is one bloody heavy island.

kansas

Alfrescian
Loyal
neddy said:
Because he was Asian Kiwi, SIA refuse to offer him the same expat benefits as his amgmo Kiwi peers.

More likely, because he is ex-Malaysian and not local born Asian Kiwi.

In any case, that is discriminatory :eek:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a possibility that he was holding on to his Malaysian citizenship. I know a Singaporean who migrated but returned as a foreign national. NUS accorded him expat status plus plumb housing.

More likely, because he is ex-Malaysian and not local born Asian Kiwi.

In any case, that is discriminatory :eek:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a possibility that he was holding on to his Malaysian citizenship. I know a Singaporean who migrated but returned as a foreign national. NUS accorded him expat status plus plumb housing.

Its still discrimination, lets assume he did hold on to his Malaysian citizenship, why do you still get paid less for the same job versus a local kiwi? Are you saying that if he had taken up kiwi citizenship he would have gotten a higher pay then ?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both Malaysians and Singaporeans (holding their respective citizenship) who have lived abroad are classified as locals.

Expats are given additional perks to cover associated hardships as a result of relocation impacting themselves and their families. Singaporeans and Malaysians posted overseas by the respective govts/GLCs are given the same expat status when posted to NY, Geneva etc.

The kids are then that tend to suffer due to discontinuity etc. Nothing do with the same level of work.

As world become global and barriers are few, expat packages are fast disappearing.

The reason why Malaysians/Singaporeans citizens who reside abroad are not given expat packages is to avoid abuse. Once they take up foreign citizenship, there is a clear sign of permenent relocation and commitment to their country.

At the end of the day, its very much up to the joker to reject a job offer without expat terms if he thinks he deserves it. If the company feels they need it, they will bend. We got learn to be like Ang Mo and stick to what we think are our rights.

Currently, expat terms are now veyr much limited.

Its still discrimination, lets assume he did hold on to his Malaysian citizenship, why do you still get paid less for the same job versus a local kiwi? Are you saying that if he had taken up kiwi citizenship he would have gotten a higher pay then ?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My understanding that he is no longer Malaysian. Perhaps that was SIA policy in the early 1990s.

Anyway, he was doing well in NZ & Australia .....

Fujitsu to bring global benefits to New Zealand customers

Wellington, 26 January, 2001 — Fujitsu New Zealand today announced a closer trans-Tasman alignment with its parent company, Fujitsu Australia Limited. Fujitsu has revised its strategic direction in Australasia to optimise leverage from Fujitsu's global investment in Internet technologies and its partnering relationships with Microsoft, Cisco Systems and others. As a result of the review, the Sales, Solutions and Services teams in New Zealand will be more closely aligned with the corresponding businesses in Australia.

"Fujitsu is aggressively pursuing its stated business objective to become a leading e-Services company in Australia and New Zealand," Mr Phil Kerrigan, CEO, Fujitsu Australasia said. "By realigning the businesses in Australia and New Zealand we will strengthen our ability to provide the best possible e-Business, IT infrastructure and service delivery benefits for our New Zealand customers."

"Mr Bill Beale, Managing Director of Fujitsu New Zealand, has regrettably elected to leave the company to pursue other interests. Bill has been with Fujitsu in New Zealand for almost five years. He has been instrumental in introducing a range of initiatives for customers including call centre services, the Fujitsu Integration Centre for Windows 2000, and our award-winning customer partnering process."

Fujitsu, a world leader in Information Technology, is enthusiastic about the New Zealand marketplace and is looking to significantly grow its customer base over the next two years, with the introduction of a range of leading edge e-Business and IT Infrastructure services.

A new Country Manager for New Zealand will be appointed shortly. In the interim Mr KS Tan, currently Executive General Manager of Fujitsu's desktop integration services business in Australia will relocate to New Zealand to manage the operations.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am surprised as SIA under Pillay was very strict about this. I wonder if he applied as a result of a local ad. In such a case, HR will make it very clear that the terms are local. Ansett pilots were the first to be employed under local terms when they took strike actions in the 80s. All those employed under local terms are given one way relocation packages equivalent to 1 month hotel plus 1 month additional to cover settling expense plus 40ft container to Singapore.

Until late 90s, ex-singaporeans could not be hired back in Singapore unless they reimbursed their CPF account in full but not ex-malaysians.

My understanding that he is no longer Malaysian. Perhaps that was SIA policy in the early 1990s.

Anyway, he was doing well in NZ & Australia .....

Fujitsu to bring global benefits to New Zealand customers

Wellington, 26 January, 2001 — Fujitsu New Zealand today announced a closer trans-Tasman alignment with its parent company, Fujitsu Australia Limited. Fujitsu has revised its strategic direction in Australasia to optimise leverage from Fujitsu's global investment in Internet technologies and its partnering relationships with Microsoft, Cisco Systems and others. As a result of the review, the Sales, Solutions and Services teams in New Zealand will be more closely aligned with the corresponding businesses in Australia.

"Fujitsu is aggressively pursuing its stated business objective to become a leading e-Services company in Australia and New Zealand," Mr Phil Kerrigan, CEO, Fujitsu Australasia said. "By realigning the businesses in Australia and New Zealand we will strengthen our ability to provide the best possible e-Business, IT infrastructure and service delivery benefits for our New Zealand customers."

"Mr Bill Beale, Managing Director of Fujitsu New Zealand, has regrettably elected to leave the company to pursue other interests. Bill has been with Fujitsu in New Zealand for almost five years. He has been instrumental in introducing a range of initiatives for customers including call centre services, the Fujitsu Integration Centre for Windows 2000, and our award-winning customer partnering process."

Fujitsu, a world leader in Information Technology, is enthusiastic about the New Zealand marketplace and is looking to significantly grow its customer base over the next two years, with the introduction of a range of leading edge e-Business and IT Infrastructure services.

A new Country Manager for New Zealand will be appointed shortly. In the interim Mr KS Tan, currently Executive General Manager of Fujitsu's desktop integration services business in Australia will relocate to New Zealand to manage the operations.

U

UpYoz_olo

Got lah. Le Jan, was NZ shadow PM's wife for less than one term. Then, separated from husband, Don Brash. Now back together again, newspaper suspect. SO, female SG emigrants are more successful because if spread to the right whiteman, can be successful.

:oIo::oIo::oIo:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got lah. Le Jan, was NZ shadow PM's wife for less than one term. Then, separated from husband, Don Brash. Now back together again, newspaper suspect. SO, female SG emigrants are more successful because if spread to the right whiteman, can be successful.

:oIo::oIo::oIo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_brash

In the 1980s he and his Singaporean secretary, Je Lan Lee, entered into a relationship. Both were married at the time. He separated from his first wife in 1985 and four months after they were divorced he married Lee.[3][4] In 2007, his second marriage also broke up, following an alleged affair with Diane Foreman, then Deputy Chair of the Business Round Table[5]. Brash and Lee had one child together.[6]

Sounds like SPG find Ang moh BF then got dumped after getting married. How come SPG in kiwiland also same fate in sinkieland 1 ah ?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_brash

Sounds like SPG find Ang moh BF then got dumped after getting married. How come SPG in kiwiland also same fate in sinkieland 1 ah ?

Maybe they talk too much. :biggrin:

But some clinicians did mentioned about interracial marriages are usually more difficult to sustain. When the angmo get older, he may long for his own kind.

Sometimes, the SPG is just ignorant and *glup* marry a Brit (of all northern Europeans - she picked the worst kind) :eek:

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Successful sinkees?

I know that the managing director of Lucasarts in the US is a sinkee-born woman. Very low profile and you won't know from most media reports. And what about the various political dissidents holding teaching jobs in Aussie and US unis? i'm sure that are a good number of successful ones who are under the radar too.