• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Attitudes to adopt prior to migration

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear all,

I was looking back at the posting and i noticed that quite a number of folks are "Migrate and hope to suceed"- that resulted in quite a few peole ended up going back. I think the approach of Sun Tzi is better

Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist
only seeks battle after the victory has been won,
whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights
and afterwards looks for victory.

There are absolute in the process like getting the landing documents, a place to stay - renting or buying own house, open bank accounts, health cards, drivers license, kids education, getting a job or running own business and etc.

For instance, Landing documents - lots of people that received the PR, then they ask which documents to bring before landing ar?. Although it is a common sense question but it shows not too much thought has been put into it.
I think a better questions to ask would be - i have prepared all these documents, is there anything that i missed?

Prepare yourself

a. financially - have a reserve to survive 6 -12 months.

b. Mentally- I realized that a lot of challenges will come my way if i can eradicate on the home front (Made a pact with wifey never to point finger at each other). We have 1 less front to worry about.

c. Where is the point of landing where there is least resistance or highest chances to suceed to land. When you have to foundation - move inland? (Some places have higher pay but the cost of living is higher too). So the key word would be the affordability.

d. Looking back, i think i could have reduced the no. of challenges via engineering. For instance, if i bought a house 1 block away from the school. The kids would have more opprotunity to take up sports or attend after school activities, the benefit = faster and easy to integration to the new adopted society & Moneywise - save on bus fares.

e. Workwise - what are the qualification that is transnational. Eg IT qualifications or business experience on business that can be transplanted.

f. Income wise - Create as many souces of passive income. Eg Internet business or renting out HDB flat. The more the merrier.

g. Credit - Credit History, Line of Credit, increase in Credit Limits. The best thing to do is to have all this available when you dont need it rather than to try to apply for it at the last min.

If there are samster brothers that can add to this list. It would be very much welcome.

Cheers

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear all,

I was looking back at the posting and i noticed that quite a number of folks are "Migrate and hope to suceed"- that resulted in quite a few peole ended up going back. I think the approach of Sun Tzi is better

Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist
only seeks battle after the victory has been won,
whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights
and afterwards looks for victory.

There are absolute in the process like getting the landing documents, a place to stay - renting or buying own house, open bank accounts, health cards, drivers license, kids education, getting a job or running own business and etc.

For instance, Landing documents - lots of people that received the PR, then they ask which documents to bring before landing ar?. Although it is a common sense question but it shows not too much thought has been put into it.
I think a better questions to ask would be - i have prepared all these documents, is there anything that i missed?

Prepare yourself

a. financially - have a reserve to survive 6 -12 months.

b. Mentally- I realized that a lot of challenges will come my way if i can eradicate on the home front (Made a pact with wifey never to point finger at each other). We have 1 less front to worry about.

c. Where is the point of landing where there is least resistance or highest chances to suceed to land. When you have to foundation - move inland? (Some places have higher pay but the cost of living is higher too). So the key word would be the affordability.

d. Looking back, i think i could have reduced the no. of challenges via engineering. For instance, if i bought a house 1 block away from the school. The kids would have more opprotunity to take up sports or attend after school activities, the benefit = faster and easy to integration to the new adopted society & Moneywise - save on bus fares.

e. Workwise - what are the qualification that is transnational. Eg IT qualifications or business experience on business that can be transplanted.

f. Income wise - Create as many souces of passive income. Eg Internet business or renting out HDB flat. The more the merrier.

g. Credit - Credit History, Line of Credit, increase in Credit Limits. The best thing to do is to have all this available when you dont need it rather than to try to apply for it at the last min.

If there are samster brothers that can add to this list. It would be very much welcome.

Cheers

How about an unemployed migrant who had to migrate in a hurry before his visa ran out. The worse part was that he had no good work reference in Singapore because he kena marked by a PAP long-service cadre for not wanting to be a scapegoat for him?

This migrant's supervisor was later charged with CBT because of strange money appearing in his account, planted by a PAP-linked person.

Last heard that this person is doing well in Australia.

His landed documents include Singapore passport, a copy of an expired UK driver licence, a replacement copy of the BSc degree certificate and $20,000.

Personally, the largest obstacle to success in anything we do involve how our brain processes information. In such an important subject, we have to prepare to learn, unlearn and re-learn things, and view the new environment with openness.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Dear all,

I was looking back at the posting and i noticed that quite a number of folks are "Migrate and hope to suceed"- that resulted in quite a few peole ended up going back.

Emigrating is not a battle or a war. It's all about building a brighter future. Sun Tzu's wisdom therefore does not apply.

As long as emigrants are determined to succeed, very little forward planning is necessary.

My advice to all potential emigrants is not try to cover all the risk factors. Most importantly, don't give yourself the option of turning back.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Emigrating is not a battle or a war. It's all about building a brighter future. Sun Tzu's wisdom therefore does not apply.

As long as emigrants are determined to succeed, very little forward planning is necessary.

My advice to all potential emigrants is not try to cover all the risk factors. Most importantly, don't give yourself the option of turning back.

I may disagree with you regarding very little forward planning, but too much planning and risk management defeats the purpose of emigration and the joy resulting from successfully completing the obstacle course.

Although I am not successful compared to the various success stories here and other untold stories, I agree with Sam Leong that eliminating the option to return will "force" the emigrant to make it a success. I bought a one way ticket, travelled with three suits, a dozen shirts and two pairs of shoes in 2 suitcases, as well as $1,500 when I left Singapore in 1981. Relatively young, single and unattached with no dependants did help me. A suggestion for would be emigrants to consider is to start as young as possible.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... My advice to all potential emigrants is not try to cover all the risk factors. Most importantly, don't give yourself the option of turning back.
nt e-z la ... blame it on ze education ...

esp engineers ... in engineering, u r tot 2 design 4 ze worst case ... now, u tel dem dun, can ezily change meh? ...

so, ppl automatically consider all possible n probable, small n big cases b4 dey decide ...

but heard dat maths-trained ppl lagi worse la ... dey wil go look 4 a mentor 1st ...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly, how does one fail migrating to a 1st world country, some of whom have welfare safety net. In all these countries, I have met or come across people with little education, poor grasp of the english language and are doing well as migrants with their kids flourishing.

The big issue is being admitted into the country as PR as the process is time consuming, dependent on quota etc. If one gets thru that hurdle, the rest is pretty much alright.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singaporeans worry endlessly and fret about not succeeding in emigration when they are supposedly bilingual with English as a 1st language and come from a supposedly 'world class' education system.

Compared to the CHINAMEN who can't even speak proper English or have paper qualifications of that calibre to speak of and you find all these PRC blokes finding niches all over the world and succeeding, it is really disgraceful hear all these Singaporeans voice their apprehensions.

Singaporeans really need the NANNY state to hold their hands and provide guidebooks on emigration lest they fall down and hurt their little toes!!!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good summary bro. Sadly it continues to this day.

Singaporeans worry endlessly and fret about not succeeding in emigration when they are supposedly bilingual with English as a 1st language and come from a supposedly 'world class' education system.

Compared to the CHINAMEN who can't even speak proper English or have paper qualifications of that calibre to speak of and you find all these PRC blokes finding niches all over the world and succeeding, it is really disgraceful hear all these Singaporeans voice their apprehensions.

Singaporeans really need the NANNY state to hold their hands and provide guidebooks on emigration lest they fall down and hurt their little toes!!!

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly, how does one fail migrating to a 1st world country, some of whom have welfare safety net. In all these countries, I have met or come across people with little education, poor grasp of the english language and are doing well as migrants with their kids flourishing.

The big issue is being admitted into the country as PR as the process is time consuming, dependent on quota etc. If one gets thru that hurdle, the rest is pretty much alright.

Look at the numerous successful immigrants (to USA, Canada, etc.) who were refugees from the Second World War and Vietnam War.

By the way, I believe it should be "all right" rather than alright. Perhaps, your fingers are not fast as your brain, which is very good. Cheers.

Are you planning to coast to your sun set and beyond, residing in your good old familiar Singapore?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

A number of Singaporeans like to boost, talk big and loud but very afraid to commit.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is good, but when i cam e over i have none of those.

Prepare yourself

>>a. financially - have a reserve to survive 6 -12 months. <<

Only have 1k with no backup plan

>>b. Mentally- I realized that a lot of challenges will come my way if i can eradicate on the home front (Made a pact with wifey never to point finger at each other). We have 1 less front to worry about.<<

No wife, just me like ah beng anything come my way no problem

>>c. Where is the point of landing where there is least resistance or highest chances to suceed to land. When you have to foundation - move inland? (Some places have higher pay but the cost of living is higher too). So the key word would be the affordability.<<

Take a chance any place is a good place to start, when you have nothing but the will to forge ahead

>>d. Looking back, i think i could have reduced the no. of challenges via engineering. For instance, if i bought a house 1 block away from the school. The kids would have more opprotunity to take up sports or attend after school activities, the benefit = faster and easy to integration to the new adopted society & Moneywise - save on bus fares.

Not applicable, when i first landed

>>e. Workwise - what are the qualification that is transnational. Eg IT qualifications or business experience on business that can be transplanted.<<

No qualification, just have an attitude of I CAN DO IT

Been here 20 plus years, life is good:smile:

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sori, Ah bang - mama thought me from young, fail to plan = plan to fail. that is why i held this advise dear to my heart[/I]

The angle I am coming from - at least know the basic things and have a basic knowledge. If not those that are there years before you will "hai gong" you. After you "gong gong" put your name to some insurance docs or finanical docs. Then that time cry also cannot go back.

Guess how i know this? I was nearly kena "hai gong"

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks. Actually have had placeholders for more than a decade and I do move around. The world is my oyster.

Look at the numerous successful immigrants (to USA, Canada, etc.) who were refugees from the Second World War and Vietnam War.

By the way, I believe it should be "all right" rather than alright. Perhaps, your fingers are not fast as your brain, which is very good. Cheers.

Are you planning to coast to your sun set and beyond, residing in your good old familiar Singapore?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I "enjoy" listening to the excuses and here are some of them;

- treated as 2nd class citizens
- racism
- glass ceiling career wise
- my status and pay cannot be matched
- see no reason to move ( I love this one - true blue fence sitter)

On the other hand. here are some genuine reasons

- have to look after my parents/siblings
- would love to move but my current career path is one in a million
- my spouse is not comfortable with a move
- current property is in negative equity

A number of Singaporeans like to boost, talk big and loud but very afraid to commit.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you are doing a great service. There are many that indeed need such guidance.

The angle I am coming from - at least know the basic things and have a basic knowledge. If not those that are there years before you will "hai gong" you. After you "gong gong" put your name to some insurance docs or finanical docs. Then that time cry also cannot go back.

Guess how i know this? I was nearly kena "hai gong"

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
About lame excuses

Has living in Singapore allowed us to accumulated too much "clutters"
Clutters such as the notions of :-
1. "Comfortable" life
2. "Familiar" environment (eg food)
3. Good pay/career
4. Cannot give up this/that
5. Things are very expensive overseas

If we really want to join the global migrant movement, WE NEED TO UNCLUTTER OURSELVES FIRST, because

1. Throw out those baggages, we need to make space for new hope and dreams

2. Singapore is changing, even the food taste different now.

3. A lot of our skills are transferable, just that we have not found out yet. Singaporeans are capable to doing much more, with their English skills and learned skills. They need to unlearn the unique Sungapore survival and adaptability skills and re-discover the proper survival and adaptability skills, used by their adopted county.

4. How many things in life do we classified as important and demonstrate its importance by giving it prominence. Many times, the so-called important things in lifes are collecting dust in the storerooms. We need to throw such things out and make way for new things in life.

5. A lot of necessities are reasonably priced. Those that are not, we ask ourselves whether we need them or not. In year 2000, Singaporeans were queuing up for hours for Hello Kitty MacToys. Where are they now? We can do with less material stuff and discover more important things in life.

I "enjoy" listening to the excuses and here are some of them;

- treated as 2nd class citizens
- racism
- glass ceiling career wise
- my status and pay cannot be matched
- see no reason to move ( I love this one - true blue fence sitter)

On the other hand. here are some genuine reasons

- have to look after my parents/siblings
- would love to move but my current career path is one in a million
- my spouse is not comfortable with a move
- current property is in negative equity

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

NS made us weak..
PAP education taught us the "penalty" instead of "creativity"
MPs can't convince and persuade
Scholars can write but cannot lead
Leaders demand respect but not earning one
Rules bring fear
Law favours one

Under the above environment, you cant expect much from them..

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal

You should hear of the story of a former Sgean, who will bring newspaper clipping of his glory days in Sg when he introduced himself. I guess he must have done it quite a few times, the newspaper clipping is even laminated.

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you are doing a great service. There are many that indeed need such guidance.

In my opinion, some just need to think for themselves and ask questions that are open ended. Shed the trait of Sgean tat accept every answer as the gospel truth.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow. My favourite observation is the type of clothes they wear despite having migrated donkey years ago. Branded, nothing close to the locals and when they gather for coffee, they are all dress alike especially the jackets.

I seen this amongst americans and Singaporeans who have the habit of buying clothes on their trips back home.

You should hear of the story of a former Sgean, who will bring newspaper clipping of his glory days in Sg when he introduced himself. I guess he must have done it quite a few times, the newspaper clipping is even laminated.