• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

First-class wealth, second-hand vehicles

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

4:00AM Saturday Sep 26, 2009
<!-- Ixt1-->
AnneNorman_300x200.jpg

Anne Norman and David Norman look through the Farmers' history book. Photo / Sarah Ivey

Anne and David Norman aren't "status symbol people".

The owners of an Australasian retail operation larger than The Warehouse describe their lifestyle as modest.

The Rich List has given up asking, they say, because the intensely private family simply refuses to be involved.

"We both drive second-hand cars," David says.

As it happens, they have just upgraded, Anne now driving a one-year-old, seven-seater Ford.

She went to collect the new vehicle in her lunch hour.

"The chap said, 'I can't believe you've come to pick up the car yourself'."
While fellow jeweller Michael Hill has his superyacht, "we have a couple of tinnies", David laughs.

The money does come in, but after 35 years of living and working together they have reached a certain position.

They reinvest their profits back into their businesses and it's the day-to-day challenges and the thought of a future that drives the couple.
The Normans believe their role is to create the best environment for their staff and the best shopping experience for their customers.

"We've had a huge amount of satisfaction from staff and customers, friends, saying how much Farmers has improved," Anne says.

To a place like Wanganui - "with or without the 'h'," she jokes - Farmers is a very big part of retail.

"If you've got good merchandise in a window in a shop [in] Wanganui, it helps the whole town lift the feeling of how it is."

Asked if they would ever sell, David points out that James Pascoe Ltd is 103 years old and has yet to sell off a business.

"We have no need to and I don't think our children will have a need to."

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

4:00AM Saturday Sep 26, 2009
<!-- Ixt1-->
AnneNorman_300x200.jpg

Anne Norman and David Norman look through the Farmers' history book. Photo / Sarah Ivey

Anne and David Norman aren't "status symbol people".

The owners of an Australasian retail operation larger than The Warehouse describe their lifestyle as modest.

The Rich List has given up asking, they say, because the intensely private family simply refuses to be involved.

"We both drive second-hand cars," David says.

As it happens, they have just upgraded, Anne now driving a one-year-old, seven-seater Ford.

She went to collect the new vehicle in her lunch hour.

"The chap said, 'I can't believe you've come to pick up the car yourself'."
While fellow jeweller Michael Hill has his superyacht, "we have a couple of tinnies", David laughs.

The money does come in, but after 35 years of living and working together they have reached a certain position.

They reinvest their profits back into their businesses and it's the day-to-day challenges and the thought of a future that drives the couple.
The Normans believe their role is to create the best environment for their staff and the best shopping experience for their customers.

"We've had a huge amount of satisfaction from staff and customers, friends, saying how much Farmers has improved," Anne says.

To a place like Wanganui - "with or without the 'h'," she jokes - Farmers is a very big part of retail.

"If you've got good merchandise in a window in a shop [in] Wanganui, it helps the whole town lift the feeling of how it is."

Asked if they would ever sell, David points out that James Pascoe Ltd is 103 years old and has yet to sell off a business.

"We have no need to and I don't think our children will have a need to."

I kind of disagree with the second-hand cars.
I doubt that it is worth saving the 1st year new car depreciation.
Unless, the cars are pulling a trailer from day one. :biggrin:
Perhaps they are just been quirky.

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I kind of disagree with the second-hand cars.
I doubt that it is worth saving the 1st year new car depreciation.

I know a singkie multi-millionaire who will only travel in Mercedes that are more than 5 years old :confused: ...... and he has a stable of brand new luxury vehicles gathering dust in the garage :( ..... funny characters these loaded uncles :p

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think this could be a norm...

the richer the person, the humbler the person is...

I am sure all of you heard about Warren Buffet?

He lives in the same house when he started his business... and lives a quiet life... no body would have known that he is Warren Buffet at all...

something interesting to ponder about what is our perception of WEALTH.

I guess WEALTH is defined entirely by your personal choice...

Living a luxurious life may not be classified as WEALTH...

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the corrections.

Yes, let me rephrase.

When a person is richer, he tends to be more LOW profile, not necessarily HUMBLER.

However I think humility is the first step to great wealth...

anyways, I always like a humble person more, not necessarily a low profile person. :smile: hehe...