• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

When to renounce citizenship?

kingat33

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would like to renounce citizenship but wondering whether I should do it before the completion of my sales of hdb or after the completion of the sales and money credit back in to cpf first or is there any difference at all? Anyone with similiar experience, pls share. Cheers!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would like to renounce citizenship but wondering whether I should do it before the completion of my sales of hdb or after the completion of the sales and money credit back in to cpf first or is there any difference at all? Anyone with similiar experience, pls share. Cheers!

more advisable to do it after you have transferred all relevant proceeds to cpf. otherwise, do not close and cash out your cpf account until after you have sold your flat and ensured the relevant amount has been credited to your cpf account. there's no rush to close your cpf account once you have renounced. but you must remain diligent to take action if changes to cpf withdrawal rules happen rapidly.

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you have a foreign certificate of citizenship? Some people have had issues with the foreign certificate and demand it even if you have a foreign passport. If so you can renounce via the closest Singapore embassy or in person at ICA and it takes 8 weeks. They will do an internal check with all stat boards such as HDB before they grant the renounciation and if you owe any IRAS taxes they settle those from your CPF funds. After successful renounciation it takes a further two weeks to process your CPF.

kingat33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you have a foreign certificate of citizenship? Some people have had issues with the foreign certificate and demand it even if you have a foreign passport. If so you can renounce via the closest Singapore embassy or in person at ICA and it takes 8 weeks. They will do an internal check with all stat boards such as HDB before they grant the renounciation and if you owe any IRAS taxes they settle those from your CPF funds. After successful renounciation it takes a further two weeks to process your CPF.

Thanks london, any idea is it four weeks to renounce and another 8 weeks to withdraw CPF or total is 8 weeks? I'm confused mate and can just do all these without stepping into singapore? Cheers!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Thanks london, any idea is it four weeks to renounce and another 8 weeks to withdraw CPF or total is 8 weeks? I'm confused mate and can just do all these without stepping into singapore? Cheers!

Have you secured citizenship in another country?

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes and would like to know the actual timeline from people with previous experience. Cheers!

Mine took about 2 months but I did not have a flat to complicate things

Oh and they also ask you to fill out a questionaire in the packet

"why do you want to renounce" etc

I did mine about a year ago