• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why do some local girls speak with a pseudo foreign accent?

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha, just having some light hearted fun at the expense of these local gals. Why do they wanna sound like an ang-mo when everyone can tell their accent is fake one?

I have observed two main types:

1. She speaks to me in the ang-mo accent (i cant tell whether american, aussie or what) when we just met. But after half-hour or so of chit chatting, slowly slowly the accent is gone and she's back to normal. Maybe the act was too much of an effort to put up for me! hahaha

2. Another type will be talking with her local friends in our typical singlish, but as soon as an ang-mo approaches them, that silly accent will come back.

Haha Girls! Speak normally la. The ang-mos will be even more attracted to you, if thats what you wanted. Keke

Pleasure_empire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha, just having some light hearted fun at the expense of these local gals. Why do they wanna sound like an ang-mo when everyone can tell their accent is fake one?

I have observed two main types:

1. She speaks to me in the ang-mo accent (i cant tell whether american, aussie or what) when we just met. But after half-hour or so of chit chatting, slowly slowly the accent is gone and she's back to normal. Maybe the act was too much of an effort to put up for me! hahaha

2. Another type will be talking with her local friends in our typical singlish, but as soon as an ang-mo approaches them, that silly accent will come back.

Haha Girls! Speak normally la. The ang-mos will be even more attracted to you, if thats what you wanted. Keke

I speak in normal but some ang mo cant understand mi lol :eek:

hallehluya

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah when I speak to the angmohs in foreign countries, most won't understand or will keep requesting for me to repeat myself. But after that, they will tell me that I 'speak very good English'. Can't help but wonder if they actually think that I am from China, since almost all angmohs seems to think that Chinese = From China.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
must speak with an accent lor, if not angmos catch no ball on singapore english.:rolleyes:

my sis speak singlish at home but everytime speak on hp with angmos colleague must with accent. ask her on it, she explain angmos dun understand our english.:rolleyes:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

The problem with Singapore English is that it is far from "normal". It is spoken with heavy Singaporean accent, it has the sentence structure is devoid of all grammar and is a direct translation from Chinese!

To crown it all, it contains many words that simply aren't English.

Let's take a look at some common Singlish traits..

"Cake" is pronounced as "kek".
"Bake" is pronounced as "bek"
"Left" is pronounced as "Lef"
"That" is pronounced as "dat"
"Flour" is pronounced as "flar" instead of "flower".

If one tries to pronounce words correctly as standard English dictionaries would prescribe, it ends up sounding like an "accent". In reality, it is nothing more than proper English.

I could write pages on this subject but I just wanted to make a point.

If you want to hear pleasant sounding English spoken by a Singaporean, listen to Chee Soon Juan. :biggrin:

Windwalker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed.

My friend and I were at newton hawker center yesterday having dinner. We do speak proper English. Anyway, the hawker owner assumed that we are not local, and preceded to converse with us in English, even asked us if we understood Mandarian. We found the whole situation hilarious and played along.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you want to listen to pleasant sounding English spoken by a Singaporean, listen to Chee Soon Juan. :biggrin:

I may not agree with C.S.J.'s political ideas, but this I have to agree and second. He speaks exemplary English with a Singaporean accent (as distinct from Singlish). One of the best today, if not the best. Other good examples are L.K.Y., J.B.J., Francis Seow, T.L.H., Sylvia Lim and not forgetting C.S.J.'s sister C.S.C.

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem with Singapore English is that it is far from "normal". It is spoken with heavy Singaporean accent, it has the sentence structure is devoid of all grammar and is a direct translation from Chinese!

Shall we call it our 'Chinglish'?? Hehe

Last edited:

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since when have the ang mos become the "superior race and culture"?? Guess it's not just the SPG who have this sort of mentality?? :confused:

White Caucasians have been the superior race and culture for the last two hundred years. They have conquered every other race out there and the influence of their culture and technological advances has been all-pervasive.

The Huns, the Mongols, the Persians, the Greeks, the Romans, they have done the same as well. During the periods of their reign, everyone yearned to be more like them.

I'm not here to start a debate, just merely pointing out facts. If the East had colonised the West instead and if we are all ang mos, the complaints will instead be about girls speaking with fake Asian accents, about how all the girls are throwing themselves at Asian men and about how all loser Asian expats are snapping up the top jobs just because they're Asian.

I would very much like to live in a parellel universe where the East colonised the West instead, but obviously that's just wishful thinking.

Alfrescian
Loyal
dun agree ler ...

nt evry1 has such a low self esteem 1 ler ... :rolleyes:

nt evry1 uses other ppl's backside as his/her face 1 ler ... :p

Not everyone, but enough of everyone. I don't think whites are superior in any way either, but life has dealt me enough shit for me to know that it doesn't matter what I think. Call me pessimistic, but the only thing I see are those who openly worship the whites and those who hate them but take it out on their fellow Asians. In either case, both will kowtow.

As for me, whenever there's a white, I simply avoid being around so that I don't have to deal with this kind of shit from my own kind.

tommy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do some local girls speak with a pseudo foreign accent?

Singapore is all about class. The local girls speak with a pseudo foreign accent to portray a certain class. ie. It is classy to speak with an accent as it is an indication that

• you are foreign educated
  • you are born foreign
  • you return from overseas
  • you have a better command of english
  • you are classier

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Singapore is all about class. The local girls speak with a pseudo foreign accent to portray a certain class. ie. It is classy to speak with an accent as it is an indication that

• you are born foreign
  • you are classier

What about others who are foreign educated in chinese. Go to China to study and have a better command in mandarin.

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal

• you are born foreign
  • you are classier

Are you saying they have some kind of a complex? Kekeke