• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My response to Mr Syu Ying Kwok’s ST letter (08 July 2008)

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is my response to Mr Syu Ying Kwok’s letter to the Straits Times Forum page published on 08 July 2008 (print edition).

In the letter entitled “Five years? MM Lee’s estimate was optimistic”, Mr Syu argues that with modern telecommunications and banking infrastructure which allows trillions of dollars to be transferred out of Singapore in an instant if the current leaders and their policies change overnight, Singapore’s success might be undone within “within weeks”.

He says emphatically that “it is naive to assume that all human beings can be trusted to do the right thing, and that we should appeal to the public by their conscience and sense of fairness.”

But isn’t this precisely the reason why we need a strong, credible Opposition to check on the Government in Parliament, or even a Opposition that is ready to form the next Government should the current one become corrupt and/or complacent?

Mr Syu has acknowledged implicitly that it is naive to assume human beings can be trusted 100% of the time. The same goes for the Government as a whole. That is why checks and balances are so necessary, and that is why a strong Opposition presence in Parliament is needed, an Opposition that is capable of taking over the reigns of power should the incumbent become manifestly unfit for office.

The one paragraph in Mr Syu’s letter that truly startled and shocked me was the paragraph on NSP member Mr Tan Lead Shake.

Mr Syu said, “Recently, opposition politician Tan Lead Shake made headlines after a tragic event in his family. But what chills the bones is the fact that in the past three elections, an average of more than 20 per cent of the electorate voted for him or anyone else who stood for election with little consideration of his credentials or abilities.”

I find Mr Syu’s remarks disgusting and repulsive.

Mr Tan Lead Shake is going through an extremely emotional time with the loss of his brother. It is a personal crisis, not a political one. Why is there a need to unceremoniously drag out this family crisis and relate it to Mr Tan’s political history? How in the world are these two even remotely related? Why is there a need to mention Mr Tan’s family crisis in connection with his credentials and his supposed poor showing at the polls?

Even if Mr Tan had performed poorly at the polls, it is unjustified of Mr Syu to accuse him of having poor credentials or abilities. That is for each individual voter to decide, not for Mr Syu to speak on behalf of the electorate.

thomas88

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wish to add that I've been voting for many many times already. I never voted PAP so I belong to the so-called 20% ppl.

But let me straighten this out. I like PAP as a government but just that I didn't vote for them as I don't want them to have a 100% vote which might make them arrogant and implement things without giving due care to the suffering of the citizens.

The last election was my first time that I've ever voted PAP and it's all thanks to ppl like Chee Soon Juan who makes me so disgusted with oppositions party except Mr. Chiam and Mr Low.

I'm very sure there's simply many ppl who voted oppositions not because that particular party is good but because they voted just like me.:p

coolfire69

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wish to add that I've been voting for many many times already. I never voted PAP so I belong to the so-called 20% ppl.

But let me straighten this out. I like PAP as a government but just that I didn't vote for them as I don't want them to have a 100% vote which might make them arrogant and implement things without giving due care to the suffering of the citizens.

The last election was my first time that I've ever voted PAP and it's all thanks to ppl like Chee Soon Juan who makes me so disgusted with oppositions party except Mr. Chiam and Mr Low.

I'm very sure there's simply many ppl who voted oppositions not because that particular party is good but because they voted just like me.:p

Extremely well put dude!

Such a waste that I haven't even gotten a chance to vote after all these years!

But seriously, there needs to be better opposition....