• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How credible are the posters?

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
:confused:

Hello all!

I am new to this forum.

I am interested in emigrating. I want honest, balanced information about the different possible countries. I want to know about actual life and the nitty-gritty details.

For practical purposes, I am interested in everything: ranging from job prospects to social safety net to legal issues to consider when emigrating.

On a lesser note, it would also be interesting to hear whether Perth has a serious fire hazard. Or whether Vancouver has a mosquito problem. (not Big Political Issues like whether Uncle Sam owes money). But I keep coming across threads that seem totally one-sided:

e.g. poster X is perpetually posting things about how exorbitant taxes are in Australia and how everyone is jobless and being taxed to death;

poster Y is basically listing every bad thing possible with Canada, including tiny earthquakes of 2.1 magnitude.

For longtime forummers, what do you feel? Do you feel the news in this forum are credible, or have they been messed up by PAPpies' online media manipulation brigade?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
"So all I can say is that, if you are looking to migrate, don't do it for the sake of getting rich".

I'm glad you point this out. Money cannot replace Happiness. At the end of the day, I am able to tell my son or grandsons.. I have been there, done that ! I dreamed, I walked.. now I enjoy... :wink:

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every country's system will have its warts and all.

All those who have persistently bashed another country have only nothing but cut and paste articles to show for their efforts, and the funny thing is that, most of the articles are from newspaper or article reports from the very country they are bashing.

Any objective person who reads these articles should eventually figure out that unlike the propaganda-filled ST, therein itself lies what one cannot find in Singapore, i.e.- Freedom and speech and information.

So stories like Perth being a fire hazard because of the bushfire in NSW, it's not like NSW and Perth are like Ang Mo Kio and Bishan, where one would not even have to look to the horizon for smoke and start posting on stomp, but NSW and Perth is more like the distance between Singapore and Shanghai itself. I would believe that even the Canadian "mosquito problem" be of similar proportions too.

Of course the IB on discourgaing migration would have you know how violent and awful things are abroad compared to sunny Singapore and of course with the ultimate aim of eroding the credibility of posters with accusations of bias.

So all I can say is that, if you are looking to migrate, don't do it for the sake of getting rich; Most migrants are stepping into a culture who does not know their track record at home. Do it for your own sanity and belief that Singapore life is not what you want.

And do your homework on the internet, then speak to sources you can trust in person, better yet, live in your country of choice for a few months and speak to the people who have crossed over, don't conduct your DD solely on the internet.

If you rely on the information on forums like these, then you'll just remain where you are and feel miserable about not knowing how to break out of this socialogical situation known as the Prisoner's Dilemma (you can find a wiki article on this).

wise advice..... have the same feeling as the original poster.... kind of feel like some posters are quite childish trashing every single thing - so lopsided. Different pple different strokes, so guess gotta do your homework and do whatever rocks for you :smile:.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hello all!

I am new to this forum.

I am interested in emigrating. I want honest, balanced information about the different possible countries. I want to know about actual life and the nitty-gritty details.

For practical purposes, I am interested in everything: ranging from job prospects to social safety net to legal issues to consider when emigrating.

On a lesser note, it would also be interesting to hear whether Perth has a serious fire hazard. Or whether Vancouver has a mosquito problem. (not Big Political Issues like whether Uncle Sam owes money). But I keep coming across threads that seem totally one-sided:

e.g. poster X is perpetually posting things about how exorbitant taxes are in Australia and how everyone is jobless and being taxed to death;

poster Y is basically listing every bad thing possible with Canada, including tiny earthquakes of 2.1 magnitude.

For longtime forummers, what do you feel? Do you feel the news in this forum are credible, or have they been messed up by PAPpies' online media manipulation brigade?

yes, poster x feels very stongly about arsetralia's racism against asians and super sky high taxes........

what to do?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hello all!

I am new to this forum.

PART 1
Congrats.
You have just came to the wrong forum for emigration information, if you just want to take another forummer's experience as to what you will expect when you migrate.
Singaporeans are good at putting down one another, spreading false information.
Things have not changed since school days where students hide books, and mislead others so that they they get poorer marks in class.
Singaporeans migrating overseas usually get conned by fellow Singaporeans.

If you want to migrate, you have to make up your own mind about a lot of things. So what I tell you that there are no fire hazard in Perth or no Mozzie problem in Vancouver? Will you believe, or will you want to believe?

Also, if you are so concerned about minor things like fire hazard, mozzie problems or even earthquake, etc, I think you better stay in Singapore.

There are some books out there that are good honest read on those countries you mention. (from angmo point of view)
http://www.howtobooks.co.uk/abroad/australia/
http://www.howtobooks.co.uk/abroad/canada/

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PART 2

Perth ... fourth-largest city in Australia.(Wiki)
Area: 5386 km²

Perth is 10 times the size of Singapore
Fire warnings are shown on weather forecast.
In dry weather, there will be fire harards. Even in King's Park.
But I hope you are not thinking of fire hazards in the city or inner suburbs ...
You need a lot of trees around to start one like the one in Vic.

Jobs - Perth jobs are few now for new migrants, unless you count retrieving supermarket trolleys. When I am interviewing candidates, I ask if they are Australian citizens, if you are PR, too bad because we are more inclined to employ locals now.
And we stop advertising in the newspaper, The West. So, you may need to check the internet. All our jobs are government and posted in jobs.wa.gov.au

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PART 3
Social security

Perth is suffering from the aftermath of the economic boom. Prices are still high, and service level are low. There are less polite drivers, more grafittis and policemen get beaten up (police used to get respect here)

Recently, we have a political rally to stop volence again the police and other public servants.

It has not always being like that. In the 90s to early 2004, Perth enjoyed excellent standard of living and a community spirit that are an envy of other Aussie cities. Eg After visiting Sudney, you will return to Perth feeling great about this remote city. These days, I only get that feeling after returning from Singapore, I feel relieved and relaxed after stepping out of the airport. (It is like returning to my kampong)

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
FINAL PART
Australia work differently from Singapore.
Once you understand how this countryworks, you will enjoy living here.
Otherwise, you will join other unadaptable Singaporeans (and whineing POMs) in either returning back to PAPland (:eek:) or migrating to Canada (:eek:) or USA (:eek::eek:)

Personally, Perth is home to me. (I hate Adelaide) and Singapore is shit

Last edited:

Yankee Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hello all!

I am new to this forum.

Try doing your homework properly my friend. The grass may be greener for some but not all. Not trying to discourage you or whatever but I know of many arseholes who had tried migrating to U Arse A for instance to pursue the so called "American Dream" which eventually turned out to be a nightmare instead and they ended up crawling back to Singapore. :eek:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
PART 1
Congrats.
You have just came to the wrong forum for emigration information, if you just want to take another forummer's experience as to what you will expect when you migrate.
Singaporeans are good at putting down one another, spreading false information.
Things have not changed since school days where students hide books, and mislead others so that they they get poorer marks in class.
Singaporeans migrating overseas usually get conned by fellow Singaporeans.

If you want to migrate, you have to make up your own mind about a lot of things. So what I tell you that there are no fire hazard in Perth or no Mozzie problem in Vancouver? Will you believe, or will you want to believe?

Also, if you are so concerned about minor things like fire hazard, mozzie problems or even earthquake, etc, I think you better stay in Singapore.

There are some books out there that are good honest read on those countries you mention. (from angmo point of view)
http://www.howtobooks.co.uk/abroad/australia/
http://www.howtobooks.co.uk/abroad/canada/

what's going in perth? a cousin just came here saying some madman is running around mandurah beheading wallabies

Why? Australia's saving grace is their kooky animals.....

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what's going in perth? a cousin just came here saying some madman is running around mandurah beheading wallabies

Why? Australia's saving grace is their kooky animals.....

Mandurah residents beheading wallabies? Never heard of that.
But not surprising either. At the height of the boom, they are competing over the size of their powerboats and fighting over their canal fronted home.

630PIC1.jpg

With their property prices falling 50%, these people need to eat too. :biggrin:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mandurah residents beheading wallabies? Never heard of that.
But not surprising either. At the height of the boom, they are competing over the size of their powerboats and fighting over their canal fronted home.

630PIC1.jpg

With their property prices falling 50%, these people need to eat too. :biggrin:

Poor Mandurah.

What to do?

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every country's system will have its warts and all.

Of course the IB on discourgaing migration would have you know how violent and awful things are abroad compared to sunny Singapore and of course with the ultimate aim of eroding the credibility of posters with accusations of bias.

Hello

Thanks for your reply, QXD and others!

I am basically fishing for information in every possible source. Everyone I know who is currently living in Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne loves the place. I even know a Malaysian who migrated to Tasmania and loves it!

I think it boils down to the individual and how he handles a new environment. A majority of the Sinkies I know who went to the abovementioned cities (i.e. who are not living there) hate the place or cannot find work there, came back and kow peh kow bu.

"It is too quiet there at night!" These Ozzie-returners can still use it to complain. These kind of die die cannot change people are too used to living in HDB, getting sleep disturbed by Getai, Funerals, Weddings, Chow Ah Beng Motorbike. Small thing also complain!
(My remark about Vancouver mozzies is just out of curiosity, obviously. I just want to learn as much as possible about each place.)

My problem is not that I dare not live abroad. It is that I need the information to compare. E.g. Perth Friend say: Come Here Join Me, Perth Good, Melbourne Suxxx. Tasmania Friend say: help me run my business in Tasmania! Here Good, fxxx Adelaide! I cannot rely on any friend or single source of info to decide which is more suited to me.

I have limited resources, and too many choices. I cannot afford the time and money to live in one place after another, trying for the 'ideal'. Moving abroad is an investment. Whatever place I choose will almost certainly be a long term place. All sources have their biases (esp. my friends, who of course always praise their own places). That's why I need every possible source.

I think internet is actually a good source, once PAP IB is excluded. Because you meet more people online than you can in daily life. I have limited friends and relatives, and all of them are biased to various extents because none have lived for long in more than 2 places.

Meltdown

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have limited resources, and too many choices. I cannot afford the time and money to live in one place after another, trying for the 'ideal'. Moving abroad is an investment. Whatever place I choose will almost certainly be a long term place. All sources have their biases (esp. my friends, who of course always praise their own places). That's why I need every possible source.

You're absolutely correct that each source of info you obtain from will have their own biases, ie:

1. Your friends and relatives who have migrated & stayed will definitely (I say 99% of them) say they love the place. Who would want to look like a stupid loser for making a major wrong decision in their life? Most people would want to look good & smart in front of their friends & relatives bec they have a face to maintain, right?

2. Each embassy's website & printed catalogs will definitely say that their countries are good places to migrate to. Which gov'ts will admit that their countries are horrible places to live with high taxes, high cost of living, high unemployment rate, high crime rates, and serious racist issues?

3. Each migration agent will definitely say that the countries they can help you migrate to are among the best countries to live. They earn their living by charging their clients who decide to use their services. No clients means no money!

4. Many independent websites that praise a particular country or a group of countries as good places to migrate are also biased. They would give all kinds of praises about those countries. But somewhere on their websites, there are icons or links where you can click that will connect you to a migration agent's website. These independent websites earn a commission each time their visitors click on the icons & links. No visitors clicking means no commissions!

5. Most SBF forummers who have migrated and stayed will definitely say they love the places where they are living now. Which SBF forummer will admit that they have made a big mistake by migrating to the wrong country?

Migrating to another country is a major life decision like getting married! The best way to know if a particular country is suitable for you is to actually live there for 6 months. I know most countries only allow visitors to stay for up to 3 months. You can use a loophole by going to a neighbouring country and stay for 3 months, then return to the previous country to complete the 6 month asssessment, and so on.

Remember that if a particular country is good for Person A, it will not necessarily be good for Person B. In fact, Person B may even find that particular country horrible to live after migrating! Each person is unique as he has his own life experiences, standards, and expectations.

Most people would go through years of courtship before deciding if they want to marry a particular person, yet some people still regret that they end up marrying the wrong person!

Why would people migrate to another country without first actually living there to find out if they really love the place they intend to migrate to? The cost of travel and actually living in each country for 6 months will be worth it. It will be money well spent. What is the cost of making a major wrong migration decision that you will later regret?

Wish you all the best in your overseas migration!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The way that you are going about this wrong. And you are not the only one.

Firstly do you want to leave Singapore and there is very little to hold you back. I know people who got PR but cannot migrate because of family commitments etc. This includes your spouse. If you can overcome this then go to second step

Secondly, you are likely to migrate to 1st world developed countries such as US, Canada, Oz, NZ, UK etc. Don't waste your time figuring out things such as economics, infrastructure, facilities etc. They are all there. Thats why its the first world. If you can survive in Singapore and have a cosmopolitan outlook, you will make it. If you can't, you are likely someone who keeps to himself, does not mix outside close friend or relatives and probably depend on family business for your income.

Thirdly, just apply for the PR first . You got all the time in the world to make the final decision on the move. A lot of people talk and talk but never even qualify in the first place. On receipt of PR, some countries give you up to 5 years to make the decision. You can then start asking questions about towns and cities. I more or less can tell that you don't have a PR.

Fourthly, like golf, don't aim for hole in one. Just aim for the pin and then tap the ball in when you on the green. Decide on what country first, picking the city is secondary. You can always move around.

Fiftly, once you are on the green, then come back to this forum. Say that you already got your PR, have chosen Canada, and Vancouver, people than can tell you what are the best suburbs, the school to go to. I am sure people staying in Ontario are not as clued in as those in BC.

Migration is a major phase in one's life. Once you go over, give yourself 1 year to get used to your surrounding and lifestyle and give yourself 2 years to be gainfully employed. Don't find excuses. If PRCs and 3rd world people who can't string a sentence to save their life can make it, you must be an absolute idiot to fail.

The biggest reason for those returning is not the new country but the sense of insecurity and family dynamics. I know of a number of cases that have returned within months because the spouse had no intention of migrating in the first place. I know a guy who came back within 3 months bacuse of constant quarrels over job. I know of cases where in-laws followed and insisted on returning because their circle of friends are hard to give and its difficult for older people to make new friends.

Hello

Thanks for your reply, QXD and others!

I am basically fishing for information in every possible source. Everyone I know who is currently living in Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne loves the place. I even know a Malaysian who migrated to Tasmania and loves it!

I think it boils down to the individual and how he handles a new environment. .

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
scroobal, very good and wise advice. Great to know that there are people here who give sensible info, thanks guys.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
scroobal, very good and wise advice. Great to know that there are people here who give sensible info, thanks guys.

Why not you visit a city and observe how the asians live. Best if you have friends who migrate.

People like me lived abroad for work and study before, so I am able to adapt quickly to the city. But I am pretty burnt out working a hectic lifestyle and decided to move to a small city like Perth.

It is true that people who succeed in settling down in another country will brag about it. But what are the factors that will help us to adapt to a new country.

1. Don't migrate simply because you hate what is going on in Singapore. There is a high possibility that you will find something to hate in your new adopted country as well. No country is run perfectly.

2. We need to give up the comparing mindset, unless we are comparing apples with apples. My Merc-Benz may cost less than my Nissan Pulsar in Singapore, but that is not the point.

3. You will need to unlearn the Singapore way and do things the local ways. In Rome, do as the Roman does.

4. Find a support group. Can be your mother, sister, brother - whatever, it helps. In your new country, try initially to make acquiantence. Eg In Australia, we have migrant resource centres where the staff are happy to provide references for you so you can rent house, find jobs, apply library membership, etc.

5. Very important. Try to understand yourself, and the community that you will be living with. Read up. There are books eg "Working and Living in Australia" that will tell you as it is.

6. Keep a positive mindset, take things easy. Migrating to another country is an adventure, possibly th biggest change you will experience in your lifetime. The journey may be the kind that keep your grandkids spellbound - just like the journey that my grandfather took to Nanyang. These days, younger generation of immigrants are writing their Australian stories. Canbarra is building an Immigration Bridge with my name and other migrants' names printed on it. There are Immigration Museums that highlight the past unfair treatments of migrants. The first world countries are more enlightened these days and migrants are usually accepted.

7. Finally, you will be in good company. There will be people before you and they will be people who follow you in your adopted country.

Last edited:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why not you visit a city and observe how the asians live. Best if you have friends who migrate.

People like me lived abroad for work and study before, so I am able to adapt quickly to the city. But I am pretty burnt out working a hectic lifestyle and decided to move to a small city like Perth.

It is true that people who succeed in settling down in another country will brag about it. But what are the factors that will help us to adapt to a new country.

1. Don't migrate simply because you hate what is going on in Singapore. There is a high possibility that you will find something to hate in your new adopted country as well. No country is run perfectly.

2. We need to give up the comparing mindset, unless we are comparing apples with apples. My Merc-Benz may cost less than my Nissan Pulsar in Singapore, but that is not the point.

3. You will need to unlearn the Singapore way and do things the local ways. In Rome, do as the Roman does.

4. Find a support group. Can be your mother, sister, brother - whatever, it helps. In your new country, try initially to make acquiantence. Eg In Australia, we have migrant resource centres where the staff are happy to provide references for you so you can rent house, find jobs, apply library membership, etc.

5. Very important. Try to understand yourself, and the community that you will be living with. Read up. There are books eg "Working and Living in Australia" that will tell you as it is.

6. Keep a positive mindset, take things easy. Migrating to another country is an adventure, possibly th biggest change you will experience in your lifetime. The journey may be the kind that keep your grandkids spellbound - just like the journey that my grandfather took to Nanyang. These days, younger generation of immigrants are writing their Australian stories. Canbarra is building an Immigration Bridge with my name and other migrants' names printed on it. There are Immigration Museums that highlight the past unfair treatments of migrants. The first world countries are more enlightened these days and migrants are usually accepted.

7. Finally, you will be in good company. There will be people before you and they will be people who follow you in your adopted country.

You are quite brave admitting to the purchase of a MB that is close to Singapore prices

As we all Know, a MB C Class in Australia is very expensive, one car there will buy you THREE in USA or Canada.

Tsk Tsk Tsk.

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Neddy, thanks for the pointers :smile:.

I have been doing some of what you have mentioned, long past the phase in comparing and material goods are not important to me, have a pretty open mindset and is open and excited about adventure. The thing is how to ensure the family will be settling in well. I've got a PRC friend who came here all alone and managed to bring the family over and settled here. He is the motivating factor for me, if he can do it, I don't believe I can't. Of course gotta think in advance all the obstacles I will be facing as I am not a typical case.

Thanks for your advice.